PDA

View Full Version : Boston College Eagles 2013-2014 season thread -Speed returns to The Heights

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52

CollegeHockeyRinkReport
10-11-2013, 01:35 AM
Hockey East weekend preview
http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/hockey-east/2013/10/10/4826154/weekend-preview-bu-umass-rpi-bc-merrimack-denver-uml-providence-minnesota-state-unh-icebreaker

sterlippo1
10-11-2013, 05:42 AM
Stacked line
Stacked chips
Stacked chest

Hell, what's not to like?!? :)

hahahaha effing A........ love it

Kenny
10-11-2013, 07:45 AM
Well then, pretty uneventful game. Billet appears to have played a good game and congrats to mccoshen on the goal.

Moffatt with a couple PP goals accounts for the difference. Didn't generate a whole lot of offense in this one.

Come on PK, a staple of great BC teams

Wasn't Cav responsible for the PK? This team will be fine, but get used to seeing some inconsistencies with Cav gone. PK was his baby, and what do you know, with him now gone, they give up PP goals.

My other concern isn't X's and O's, it's intensity. Jerry and Brownie are great people and great hockey coaches, but neither has the intense personality to get in someone's face or fire up the team with a red faced rant. Again, that was Cav's role.

No doubt this team will compete for the nations top team all year, but early signs indicate they need to do it differently than they have the last 18 seasons.

claver2010
10-11-2013, 08:14 AM
First, it's one game (and I was relegated to EEI like everyone else).

Didn't sound like they had the energy necessary out of the gate.

It's going to take time with these FR. There are a ton of them, and due to the meh last 2 recruiting classes/this FR class' talent they're getting some serious time (1 on the first line, 2 on the 2nd line, an entire powerplay unit is FR., etc.).

The PK is a little concerning as it wasn't up to BC standards last year either.

Sounds like Billett played very well, probably will be a platoon for a while which isn't the worst thing, hell Demko's only 17.

I've said my piece on Straight, Sit, & Linell on the blue line for months; no point in beating a dead horse beyond the pulp that remains.

Nick Papagiorgio
10-11-2013, 09:23 AM
Wasn't Cav responsible for the PK? This team will be fine, but get used to seeing some inconsistencies with Cav gone. PK was his baby, and what do you know, with him now gone, they give up PP goals.

My other concern isn't X's and O's, it's intensity. Jerry and Brownie are great people and great hockey coaches, but neither has the intense personality to get in someone's face or fire up the team with a red faced rant. Again, that was Cav's role.

No doubt this team will compete for the nations top team all year, but early signs indicate they need to do it differently than they have the last 18 seasons.

You may be right about BC missing Cav as the bad cop. Brown and York are probably not going to be the guys yelling. Who knows if Ayers would feel comfortable doing that. We do know he can get angry and throw water bottles, though.

The PK was definitely Cav's baby but it wasn't great last year as well. Only clicked around 84%, which is very low for BC standards. This is, IMO, a result of the personnel being put out there. BC went from a great PK that was deadly with SHGs to a PK that wasn't good at killing penalties and had no real scoring threats (they did have some chances last year but not many and 0 de facto SHGs). That threat of a SHG against is good for a few percentage points. It's the personnel. Macleod is out there and I'm not sure he's a great penalty killer. I'm not even sure he should be playing at this point but he's a senior with a letter on his jersey so expect him to play. We know York likes using the big guys with the long reach and even puts the forwards back there sometime to help on the PK. But at forward you have Sit also killing penalties, it's one of the only things he is used for. He works hard but he's not even at a level of Price/Lombardi type ability.

Speaking of special teams, one thing I highlighted and tracked last year was the lack of BC's ability to draw penalties. Last night, just 2 PPs. That number needs to go up. Low SOG number. Also needs to go up.

And obviously, gotta stop taking stupid penalties.

First, it's one game (and I was relegated to EEI like everyone else).

Didn't sound like they had the energy necessary out of the gate.

It's going to take time with these FR. There are a ton of them, and due to the meh last 2 recruiting classes/this FR class' talent they're getting some serious time (1 on the first line, 2 on the 2nd line, an entire powerplay unit is FR., etc.).

The PK is a little concerning as it wasn't up to BC standards last year either.

Sounds like Billett played very well, probably will be a platoon for a while which isn't the worst thing, hell Demko's only 17.

I've said my piece on Straight, Sit, & Linell on the blue line for months; no point in beating a dead horse beyond the pulp that remains.

BC has gone out to on the road early in the season and it has paid dividends. We know that. A loss here can help turn a March game into a win. I believe that. They are also the youngest team in Division 1. Not the time to panic. BUT... it's not like we're giving guys ice time in hopes of them getting better for us either this year or ever. There's no reason to be playing certain guys... and sitting certain guys.

I think the freshmen will be fine. McCoshen is going to score 6-8 goals this year IMO. The problem is the personnel being used.

claver2010
10-11-2013, 10:05 AM
Great point on Cav not being there to rip into them.

On the personnel being put on the PK, I look to the superstar goal scorers. Cam & Gerbe were good on the PK and the other team knew if you effed around on the blueline they were off to the races, Johnny just isn't put out there much at all. Interested to see Cangelosi on the PK, didn't he set a USHL record last year for SHGs? Put him with Arnold.

Agreed on the FR being fine.

I'm interested, and scared, to see what they do when Straight comes back.

all bear
10-11-2013, 10:38 AM
Two things here......too many donuts for the donut hole and too few beachballs for Ayers. But for anyone else, it was fun rooting for both teams to lose :D

Nick Papagiorgio
10-11-2013, 11:34 AM
Interested to see Cangelosi on the PK, didn't he set a USHL record last year for SHGs? Put him with Arnold.

Absolutely right, Cangelosi is the guy you want killing penalties.

buoldtimer
10-11-2013, 01:13 PM
Speaking of special teams, one thing I highlighted and tracked last year was the lack of BC's ability to draw penalties. Last night, just 2 PPs. That number needs to go up. Low SOG number. Also needs to go up.

Have JY slip them a few bucks like JP did. With Parker's retirement, the referees will be looking for opportunities to make up for the "lost income".

sterlippo1
10-11-2013, 03:36 PM
But at forward you have Sit also killing penalties, it's one of the only things he is used for. He works hard but he's not even at a level of Price/Lombardi type ability.

He's not even close to either of them.

jerryj
10-11-2013, 04:19 PM
You may be right about BC missing Cav as the bad cop. Brown and York are probably not going to be the guys yelling. Who knows if Ayers would feel comfortable doing that. We do know he can get angry and throw water bottles, though.

The PK was definitely Cav's baby but it wasn't great last year as well. Only clicked around 84%, which is very low for BC standards. This is, IMO, a result of the personnel being put out there. BC went from a great PK that was deadly with SHGs to a PK that wasn't good at killing penalties and had no real scoring threats (they did have some chances last year but not many and 0 de facto SHGs). That threat of a SHG against is good for a few percentage points. It's the personnel. Macleod is out there and I'm not sure he's a great penalty killer. I'm not even sure he should be playing at this point but he's a senior with a letter on his jersey so expect him to play. We know York likes using the big guys with the long reach and even puts the forwards back there sometime to help on the PK. But at forward you have Sit also killing penalties, it's one of the only things he is used for. He works hard but he's not even at a level of Price/Lombardi type ability.

And obviously, gotta stop taking stupid penalties.

BC has gone out to on the road early in the season and it has paid dividends. We know that. A loss here can help turn a March game into a win. I believe that. They are also the youngest team in Division 1. Not the time to panic. BUT... it's not like we're giving guys ice time in hopes of them getting better for us either this year or ever. There's no reason to be playing certain guys... and sitting certain guys.

I think the freshmen will be fine. McCoshen is going to score 6-8 goals this year IMO. The problem is the personnel being used.

Do you have the stats as to which teams are the youngest in D1?

J.D.
10-11-2013, 04:47 PM
I think Merrimack comes in right behind BC and Michigan

sterlippo1
10-11-2013, 07:27 PM
i think merrimack comes in right behind bc and michigan

lol

J.D.
10-11-2013, 09:44 PM
Hey, lost at michigan. It's not like they lost to sacred heart at home or anything ;)

That bobby valentine, already doing a great job as AD!

mookie1995
10-11-2013, 10:02 PM
Hey, lost at michigan. It's not like they lost to sacred heart at home or anything ;)

beat me to it!!! :D

Carmine Scarpaglia
10-11-2013, 10:22 PM
I think Merrimack comes in right behind BC and Michigan

Early leader for post of the year.

J.D.
10-12-2013, 10:03 PM
kid says to look for lineup changes tomorrow. i can see it now for some of you...

1. demko in
2. jeke or savage in but not for linell
3. straight in but not for sit

;)

Carmine Scarpaglia
10-12-2013, 11:59 PM
kid says to look for lineup changes tomorrow. i can see it now for some of you...

1. demko in
2. jeke or savage in but not for linell
3. straight in but not for sit

;)

Do we have a waterboy that can barely skate that we put into the lineup while we're at it?

J.D.
10-13-2013, 12:21 AM
lyles isn't playing pro hockey anywhere right now (i'm stunned hoky was wrong about that)...does he have any eligibility left???

carltonbarrett
10-13-2013, 11:25 AM
Need a win today boys!