X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Maine Hockey 2013-2014 Part 1: Red Dawn

Originally posted by gscott13 View Post
    That may the answer... exhibition game vs UNB on the 4th, OOC on the 5th, and then the Portland game and an EXH vs the USNDT on January 3rd\4th with one in Portland and one in Orono
    UNB on Oct.4 would seem likely considering the following news......

Saturday, May 25, 2013
    V-Reds To Face Wildcats
    It appears that the Varsity Reds will be heading to Durham, New Hampshire on Saturday, October 5th for an exhibition game against the University of New Hampshire Wildcats. UNH head coach Dick Umile recently announced their full schedule for the upcoming season and they will kick off their campaign at the Whittemore Center Arena against the defending CIS champions.

The Wildcats are coming off of a decent season in 2012-2013 season as they went 10-8-3 in Hockey East play and appeared in their 17th NCAA tournament in the last 20 years, eventually falling in the 2nd round.

This would mark the 5th meeting all-time between the schools with the Wildcats holding a 3-1-0 advantage over the V-Reds. New Hampshire won the last meeting 3-0 in 2011 with the Varsity Reds picking up their lone win in 2007 with a 4-3 decision.

If the last few years are any indication we can probably assume the Varsity Reds will be playing at least one other game against NCAA competition

Comment

That may the answer... exhibition game vs UNB on the 4th, OOC on the 5th, and then the Portland game and an EXH vs the USNDT on January 3rd\4th with one in Portland and one in Orono

priceless... care to go through who has single open dates on those two weekends?
      The U-18 Team plays @Lake State and @NMU in October and @UMD and @SCSU on Jan 3/4.

October 5: Bentley, Sacred Heart and Niagara. Cornell has one NC open date, but can't play that early. Lowell has four open dates and Merrimack still has one.
      Jan 3 or 4: Bentley, Sacred Heart and Niagara. Merrimack plays @PC NC on Jan 4. Lowell hosts Clarkson.
      Last edited by Priceless; 06-07-2013, 04:27 PM.

Comment

priceless... care to go through who has single open dates on those two weekends?
        Doesn't Maine play 34 games this coming season/not counting Exhibition games? Then if so they would play maybe one game the weekend of Oct.4th or 5th...and one game @ Portland either Jan.3rd or 4th?

Comment

Originally Posted by gscott13

I hope Maine does schedule UNB again this year, as I always enjoy getting the chance to see how my alma mater fares against NCAA competition. I know that NCAA/CIS hockey is comparing apples to oranges (CIS usually has much older players, many of them have played major junior or even pro hockey - Dan Lacosta (G) with Columbus 1 game in 2007/08 and 3 games in 2008/09 - and the style of play is very different as most on these boards already know), but I like the exhibition games as a tune-up for both sides provided nobody gets hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoover View Post
            UNB on Oct.4 would seem likely considering the following news......

Saturday, May 25, 2013
            V-Reds To Face Wildcats
            It appears that the Varsity Reds will be heading to Durham, New Hampshire on Saturday, October 5th for an exhibition game against the University of New Hampshire Wildcats. UNH head coach Dick Umile recently announced their full schedule for the upcoming season and they will kick off their campaign at the Whittemore Center Arena against the defending CIS champions.

The Wildcats are coming off of a decent season in 2012-2013 season as they went 10-8-3 in Hockey East play and appeared in their 17th NCAA tournament in the last 20 years, eventually falling in the 2nd round.

This would mark the 5th meeting all-time between the schools with the Wildcats holding a 3-1-0 advantage over the V-Reds. New Hampshire won the last meeting 3-0 in 2011 with the Varsity Reds picking up their lone win in 2007 with a 4-3 decision.

If the last few years are any indication we can probably assume the Varsity Reds will be playing at least one other game against NCAA competition
            There seems to be a timing/scheduling issue with UNH and UNB.

The Varsity Reds officially announced yesterday their first-ever Colorado road trip: CC on Oct. 5, DU on Oct. 6 and Air Force on Oct. 7. So kinda hard to be in Durham on Oct. 5. Sounds like UNH was probably talking to to UNB, but jumped the gun, as the Colorado trip has been in the works for some time. UNB is still trying to schedule an exhibition game with the AHL's Portland Pirates, so maybe that would tie in with their near-annual game with Maine?
            "The great aim of education is not knowledge, but action." -- Herbert Spencer

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
              Doesn't Maine play 34 games this coming season/not counting Exhibition games? Then if so they would play maybe one game the weekend of Oct.4th or 5th...and one game @ Portland either Jan.3rd or 4th?
              If they were to split the games, 12/20 comes back into play. Bentley, Sacred Heart and Niagara are also available for that date.

I'll hold out hope for Michigan State in Portland January 3 followed by the Spartans in Orono on the 4th. Travis Walsh will be a sophomore this season and it would be nice to get him up to Orono at least once in his college career.

Comment

If they play the USNDT,play them @ Alfond Arena,and down the line play a OCC game that is from Hockey East @ Portland...I still think 2 games @ Portland would work out..one on a Friday night and one on Sunday afternoon with Saturday being a Skate & Meet the Maine Hockey Team...just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by FreddyFoyle View Post
                  There seems to be a timing/scheduling issue with UNH and UNB.

The Varsity Reds officially announced yesterday their first-ever Colorado road trip: CC on Oct. 5, DU on Oct. 6 and Air Force on Oct. 7. So kinda hard to be in Durham on Oct. 5. Sounds like UNH was probably talking to to UNB, but jumped the gun, as the Colorado trip has been in the works for some time. UNB is still trying to schedule an exhibition game with the AHL's Portland Pirates, so maybe that would tie in with their near-annual game with Maine?
                  I did see the CC/DU scheduled games in another thread, but was not sure how reliable the info was considering the costs/logistics of a trip out west. UNB has typically played exhibitions with Hockey East schools (also RPI a couple of years ago).

Since you're confirming the trip west I'm looking forward to UNB showing their program to another conference/fan base of the NCAA. Thanks for the info - I'm not in the loop as much as I used to be regarding UNB hockey, but once they hit the ice I follow them closely!

Comment

[QUOTE=Pink Pony;5736502]
                    tyler walsh is rumored to be returning to maine as the new director of hockey operations (administrative role)....[/QUOTE

Good luck to Tyler as he continues the family tradition in Maine.]
                    If I'm not mistaken, Paul Culina holds that position.

Comment

looks like WCSH Lee Goldberg is confirming rumors about Jay Leach and Ben Guite as Assts
                      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                        The U-18 Team plays @Lake State and @NMU in October and @UMD and @SCSU on Jan 3/4.

October 5: Bentley, Sacred Heart and Niagara. Cornell has one NC open date, but can't play that early. Lowell has four open dates and Merrimack still has one.
                        Jan 3 or 4: Bentley, Sacred Heart and Niagara. Merrimack plays @PC NC on Jan 4. Lowell hosts Clarkson.
                        who has what open on the 4th... they could play UNB on Sunday the 6th...

ETA: they played at 4 on Sunday after playing QU on either Friday or Saturday last year
                        Last edited by gscott13; 06-07-2013, 05:37 PM.

Comment

who has what open on the 4th... they could play UNB on Sunday the 6th...

Originally Posted by FreddyFoyle

The Varsity Reds officially announced yesterday their first-ever Colorado road trip: CC on Oct. 5, DU on Oct. 6 and Air Force on Oct. 7.

Comment

I did see the CC/DU scheduled games in another thread, but was not sure how reliable the info was considering the costs/logistics of a trip out west. UNB has typically played exhibitions with Hockey East schools (also RPI a couple of years ago).

Since you're confirming the trip west I'm looking forward to UNB showing their program to another conference/fan base of the NCAA. Thanks for the info - I'm not in the loop as much as I used to be regarding UNB hockey, but once they hit the ice I follow them closely!
                            I'd take Frddy at his word... i believe he is a UNB fan that posts in here because they play exhibition games against NCAA teams

Comment

[QUOTE=Pucknut;5737004]
                              Originally posted by Pink Pony View Post

If I'm not mistaken, Paul Culina holds that position.
                              see priceless' post shortly after... i may have heard director of hockey operations when in fact it was "working with the DHO"

that said, rumor has it, tyler will be returning in some capacity....

Comment

Originally Posted by FreddyFoyle

The Varsity Reds officially announced yesterday their first-ever Colorado road trip: CC on Oct. 5, DU on Oct. 6 and Air Force on Oct. 7.
                                replied w/ quote before refreshing browser....

Comment

Working...
                                X