X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Hockey 2013-2014 Part 1: Red Dawn

Originally posted by AMC View Post
    Can we go back to seeing each conference team home and home every year? Please?
    That won't happen until ND goes to the Integer.

Comment

And that won't happen ever. ND won't give up complete independence in football which the B1G demanded. Whether fans like it or not, ND will bring in a lot of extra revenue for Hockey East through notoriety, television, fan appeal, etc.
      https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
      Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
        And that won't happen ever. ND won't give up complete independence in football which the B1G demanded. Whether fans like it or not, ND will bring in a lot of extra revenue for Hockey East through notoriety, television, fan appeal, etc.
        Never say never. I think we'll see a lot of changes to the way college football is organized.

Meanwhile, WCSH has the story

(NEWS CENTER) - Red Gendron, University of Maine Men's Hockey head coach said in an interview Thursday that the Black Bears and the University of New Hampshire Wildcats will play a unique home and home series starting in the 2014-2015 season. Gendron said "We are going to play one game down here in the (Cumberland County) Civic Center and another one at the Verizon Center in Manchester (Hew Hampshire)." Both teams usually play games against each other on their respective campuses.

The University of Maine announced earlier this year that the Cumberland County Civic Center in Portland will be host to the 2015 NCAA Hockey Ice Breaker tournament. The recent renovation of the Civic Center has brought better opportunities to host such events.

Gendron also discussed recruiting efforts and the importance of Southern Maine in the growth of the Maine Black Bears Hockey program.

Comment

I don't understand how. Does the Hockey East tournament need Notre Dame's 18 diehards in order to sell out the Garden? Did ESPN pick up the Hockey East media rights and I missed it? Who are these fans out there that are just NOW interested in Hockey East now that Notre Dame (and UConn) are on board?

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
            I don't understand how. Does the Hockey East tournament need Notre Dame's 18 diehards in order to sell out the Garden? Did ESPN pick up the Hockey East media rights and I missed it? Who are these fans out there that are just NOW interested in Hockey East now that Notre Dame (and UConn) are on board?
            I'm fairly certain Hockey East's NBC sports network deal was done in part because of Notre Dame, or at least brought in more money for the league because it included them

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
            43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
            104-47-14 (.669) in that time
            3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Notre Dame is a huge name. The Irish might lack hockey fans, but they have fans that might go to a few of the away games in Boston area just because its an ND sports team. Secondly, it's a brand name. Are more Maine and UVM fans going to go to a game against Merrimack or Notre Dame? The TV deal was enhanced because of Notre Dame. It's the biggest name in college athletics.

Comment

ND will bring in a lot of extra revenue for Hockey East through notoriety, television, fan appeal, etc.
                I don't see it. I was at the Ice Breaker last season and I saw how many ND fans showed up. They were well outnumbered by the Omaha fans.

I think ND hockey has a way to go.

and to respond to your question about whether Maine fans would rather show up for a ND game or a merrimack game, I think it is a wash. I don't think that ND is "big" and well recognized YET. In Orono, fans show up for BU or BC games and maybe UNH,

that is if fans show up at all.

Comment

Notre Dame to Hockey East is the best thing ever.

I am serious.

1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Ben Guite has been hitting the recruiting trail hard.

Comment

Ben Guite has been hitting the recruiting trail hard.
                      AND that's a Good thing...sounds like he's hungry for the job and that can ONLY bode well for Maine Hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                        WMEB is reporting that starting next season Maine and New Hampshire will play two games (hope non-conference) at the CCCC in Portland and the Verizon Wireless Arena in Manchester.
                        Maybe in future years both UMaine & UNH can set up a Western Team,say a North Dakota/Denver to come and play both teams one team in Portland/Manchester on a Friday night and then a Sunday afternoon game in Portland/Manchester...say Denver vs UNH(Fri)...North Dakota vs Maine(Fri) and then they travel on Saturday to play on Sunday afternoon at those sites.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                          Maybe in future years both UMaine & UNH can set up a Western Team,say a North Dakota/Denver to come and play both teams one team in Portland/Manchester on a Friday night and then a Sunday afternoon game in Portland/Manchester...say Denver vs UNH(Fri)...North Dakota vs Maine(Fri) and then they travel on Saturday to play on Sunday afternoon at those sites.
                          Considering how hard it was to get this agreement I don't know how likely it is they'll change it, but that idea sounds like a winner.

Comment

• Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                            Considering how hard it was to get this agreement I don't know how likely it is they'll change it, but that idea sounds like a winner.
                            Maybe something like he was talking about could be separate? They have a dozen or so games to fill. I would like to see some OOC games against BU and BC as well. No clue why we're wasting time with UMA and UVM. Hopefully this coming season is just a one off.
                            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                              Maybe something like he was talking about could be separate? They have a dozen or so games to fill. I would like to see some OOC games against BU and BC as well. No clue why we're wasting time with UMA and UVM. Hopefully this coming season is just a one off.
                              Because they had holes in the schedule. Maine's schedule is filling in nicely. 22 league games, 2 v UHN and the 2 Florida games every year. That leaves 8 NC games which is certainly more manageable than the 14 they were handed this year.

Comment

Jimmy Howard will be battling for a goal tending position on the U.S. Olympic Team.

Here's the link in today's BDN.
                                http://bangordailynews.com/2013/08/1...olympic-berth/

Comment

Working...
                                X