X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Hockey 2013-2014 Part 1: Red Dawn

Originally posted by MaineHockeyMom View Post
    gabe gauthier's in 2002

how many skates were bigger than Hamilton's in 2002?
    04?
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
      04?
      Yes indeed(Boston,MA).

Comment

Originally posted by gscott13 View Post
        I coach a high school team and that was the first thing I changed when I purchased new sweaters for the team... 1-22 & 31. Some freshman asked if he could have 78 and my response was "nope, but you can have 7 or 8, as long as no upper classmen have that number"

That said, I get the superstition aspect. I am convinced I pay better when I am wearing 13...
        Traditon of low numbers went out the window a long time ago,no big deal either way...depending on who you play for,my hope is they take in that it says MAINE on the front and remember that its the Team and bringing back the play of yester-year as in toughness/grit/speed/conditioning and the biggie imo...solid Team D and Goaltending...a lot to ask for but WHY NOT..?...! So whatever the number my hope is they come to play with High Expectations.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
          04?
          ouch, was it so long ago that I cannot even remember which year was Piotrowski and which year Carle threw the puck?

Comment

From Mary Trumball over in the Facebook group:

I'm a little stunned right now. I renewed my membership in friends of Maine hockey this year when the email came. They said they missed me. Last year they never sent me one. I had received the general thank you from the athletic dept. Today I received a thank you note, handwritten from Red. To say I'm a little stunned is an understatement. I love this touch to the fans.

Comment

• Originally posted by all bear View Post
              You're such a hardazz !!!
              Beyond all that, the school only covers the coaches salaries, leaving an unfunded operating budget if about $16k. Jerseys go three or four years before being replaced. Accommodating every individual request isn't possible when your trying to limit cost.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                From Mary Trumball over in the Facebook group:
                I received a hand written note from FOMH Cherrie Damon and from New Head Coach Red Gendron...in the 12 years that TW was in charge I never received a note in regards to Donations to the BBC/FOMH or to the Mens Hockey Program,and I will add the Womens Coach Maria Lewis has sent out a Thank You the last 2 years in regards to Donation to the Womens Program.

Comment

Beyond all that, the school only covers the coaches salaries, leaving an unfunded operating budget if about $16k. Jerseys go three or four years before being replaced. Accommodating every individual request isn't possible when your trying to limit cost.
                  One thing for sure is that Hockey is a very/very expensive sport.

Comment

Very complimentary and informative article on Ben Guite by Fluto Shinzawa in today's Boston Globe. Didn't look to see if it was online. Talks about his playing days and the uncertain life after professional hockey without a college degree. He is going to have a message for recruits. He earned his MBA in 2009 while taking online and summer courses at Maine while working hockey camps.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                      I received a hand written note from FOMH Cherrie Damon and from New Head Coach Red Gendron...in the 12 years that TW was in charge I never received a note in regards to Donations to the BBC/FOMH or to the Mens Hockey Program,and I will add the Womens Coach Maria Lewis has sent out a Thank You the last 2 years in regards to Donation to the Womens Program.
                      not surprised, SOME COACHES were known to say "why would I bother with the FOMH when I can get more money in one lunch meeting with a single donor than YOU can get in a whole year?"

and it was always said, that it was the FOMH and the people who could only afford $25 or $50 who felt that Maine hockey was THIER team.

Cherie remembers how Shawn did things and I am sure Red does too. (not saying that Shawn did everything perfectly, but the way he enrolled the fans and sold them on the whole program was just perfect)

Comment

• Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                        Very complimentary and informative article on Ben Guite by Fluto Shinzawa in today's Boston Globe. Didn't look to see if it was online. Talks about his playing days and the uncertain life after professional hockey without a college degree. He is going to have a message for recruits. He earned his MBA in 2009 while taking online and summer courses at Maine while working hockey camps.
                        Link

Ben Guite knows he’s one of the lucky ones. Guite appeared in 175 NHL games for Boston, Colorado, and Nashville, totaling 19 goals and 26 assists. Guite played for seven AHL teams, including Providence, to earn a reputation as a dependable professional forward.

But like the majority of pro hockey players, Guite knew he’d need a job after his playing career was over.

Unemployment was not a plight Guite suffered for long.

Less than six months removed from his final appearance as a hockey player, Guite has transitioned into the next stage of his career as an assistant coach at the University of Maine. Guite was a four-year player at Maine between 1996 and 2000. As a junior, Guite helped lead Maine to the NCAA championship.

Comment

Wait, your school doesn't even cover jerseys and transportation costs to road games?
                          Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                          The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                            Wait, your school doesn't even cover jerseys and transportation costs to road games?
                            Maybe now you can begin to see some of the unfair advantages Jerry has over the rest of the league.

I do, however know that Ceglarski used to charge his players for their skates.

Comment

Originally posted by MaineHockeyMom View Post
                              Maybe now you can begin to see some of the unfair advantages Jerry has over the rest of the league.

Hahaha

How much does each Maine player have to hand over to the manager before boarding the bus trip to UNH? How many other HE schools share this practice giving Jerry and unfair advantage?

Comment

• Originally posted by MaineHockeyMom View Post

I am sure Jerry has many advantages over the team Greg coaches.
                                Expectation has the encumberance of truth while hope lives its own life, wild and free.

Comment

Working...
                                X