UConn 2013-2014: Let the Cavanaugh Era Begin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UConn 2013-2014: Let the Cavanaugh Era Begin

I know this was already posted an hour ago, but it seems like the appropriate time to turn the page and start a new thread.

The coaching staff is set. The immediate goal (AHA Championship) is set. The intermediate goal (seamless entry into HE in competitive fashion) is set.

Time to get going:

http://www.courant.com/sports/colleg...,6085101.story

http://www.courant.com/sports/colleg...tory?track=rss

Originally posted by RSTuthill View Post
    I know this was already posted an hour ago, but it seems like the appropriate time to turn the page and start a new thread.

The coaching staff is set. The immediate goal (AHA Championship) is set. The intermediate goal (seamless entry into HE in competitive fashion) is set.

Time to get going:

http://www.courant.com/sports/colleg...,6085101.story

http://www.courant.com/sports/colleg...tory?track=rss
    Ok, I will be the first to say it...anyone else surprised with cavanaugh's assistant coaching choices? 2 years of experienced combined? College hockey, like all business, is about relationships...doesn't seem like these guys could possibly have the network of say, I dunno-–the guys at Notre dame? I expected Cavanaugh to make a splash with his hires...didn't happen.

Comment

Re: UConn 2013-2014: Let the Cavanaugh Era Begin

The experience thing did occur to me in passing fashion but I don't think I am qualified to comment, not knowing any of the staff. Gotta assume he could have had his choice, and these are his choices. I wouldn't get too excited. Different candidates bring different things to the table.

Comment

Surprised by the choices only because I had never heard them mentioned. Thought Mike Mottau would be one of the assistants from other musings. Most likely the unpaid assistant position will go to a goaltender coach.

Comment

No experience for mottau either. I guess dover would rather have someone like paul pooley than an up and coming young coach. Experience is overrated. You can't get any until you're actually given a chance. Again, this is uconn, not a premier job. I'm not surprised at all cav surrounded himself with two younger guys.

Comment

You're all forgetting that your new head coach has been the best consistent recruiter in college hockey for 20 years. The head coach will also be on the road. I love the assistant selections for a few reasons. One, hiring a BU guy dispels any thought that Coach Cav is bringing BC to UConn. Two, one of them is a CT kid. Three, both of them played for legendary coaches.

Jeez, give the guy a chance. Get over the fact that your binky boy Berard didn't get the job, and enjoy the new beginnings.

Comment

Originally posted by UConnHuskies View Post
              You're all forgetting that your new head coach has been the best consistent recruiter in college hockey for 20 years.
              Not all of us. Haven't forgotten that at all. Please read a little more carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by UConnHuskies View Post
                You're all forgetting that your new head coach has been the best consistent recruiter in college hockey for 20 years. The head coach will also be on the road. I love the assistant selections for a few reasons. One, hiring a BU guy dispels any thought that Coach Cav is bringing BC to UConn. Two, one of them is a CT kid. Three, both of them played for legendary coaches.

Jeez, give the guy a chance. Get over the fact that your binky boy Berard didn't get the job, and enjoy the new beginnings.
                Plenty of schools have inexperienced assistants. Nothing new here.

Reality is even if you put UConn at scholarship parity they are still behind the curve with a lot to work on... Yes, this means, intrinsically, lower than Merrimack in a normal year
                BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                Skating Friar Jersey
                AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                  Plenty of schools have inexperienced assistants. Nothing new here.

Reality is even if you put UConn at scholarship parity they are still behind the curve with a lot to work on... Yes, this means, intrinsically, lower than Merrimack in a normal year
                  I too think that in time this staff could turn out to be great. Both guys seem to have an upside. That said, building a contender from scratch is not going to be easy. Given cavanaugh's reported salary and uconn's reputation I would bet that the assistant coaches make just as much as the assistants at bu, BC, Michigan, etc... Point being is that just because the program is new doesn't mean these are entry level jobs. He likely could have stolen a top assistant out of the ecac or a lower paying hockey east school like Merrimack, unh, or uvm... I'm sure the other coaches in hockey east are very happy with cavanaugh's choices and don't feel threatened in the slightest...

Comment

Look at who bc just hired to replace cav. Ayers is an unknown as a d1 coach but he seems to be pretty well regarded from his work with the us national team.

Plus, you're not taking into consideration the relationship cav might have with each of these guys. He coached against both of them and from the little I know about souza, he's well regarded.

I just think you're overrating the uconn job at this moment in time and that you really don't know if they could have done better in hiring the assistants.

Comment

Originally posted by dover4345 View Post
                      I too think that in time this staff could turn out to be great. Both guys seem to have an upside. That said, building a contender from scratch is not going to be easy. Given cavanaugh's reported salary and uconn's reputation I would bet that the assistant coaches make just as much as the assistants at bu, BC, Michigan, etc... Point being is that just because the program is new doesn't mean these are entry level jobs. He likely could have stolen a top assistant out of the ecac or a lower paying hockey east school like Merrimack, unh, or uvm... I'm sure the other coaches in hockey east are very happy with cavanaugh's choices and don't feel threatened in the slightest...
                      If so then why couldn't he coax any of them to jump? Its not all about money and if you want to be an assistant you're probably thinking for a higher job some day, it isn't a terminal position.

---

In the end this is getting worked up over nothing. Until the puck drops there really isn't much worth talking about. Still, can't imagine this will be the same type of players I saw drinking with ease over the summer semester at Ted's when I was there.
                      BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                      Skating Friar Jersey
                      AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                      UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                      Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Congratulations to West Haven CT native Joe Pereira for landing the UCONN assistant coach job. Being from my hometown, I can tell you that Joe and his family are deeply entrenched in the Connecticut and New England hockey scene, I believe his brother Mike is still playing in hockey East for UMASS Amherst. As mentioned as one of Cavanaugh's goals, I can see this hiring as a way to strengthen the CT connection to the University. Many talented players have left the state in recent years for other D-1 schools, many in Hockey East . Joe will be a nice fit for that regional niche, and is also a class act who will bring enthusiasm and drive to this program.
                        YALE HOCKEY
                        2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                          Congratulations to West Haven CT native Joe Pereira for landing the UCONN assistant coach job. Being from my hometown, I can tell you that Joe and his family are deeply entrenched in the Connecticut and New England hockey scene, I believe his brother Mike is still playing in hockey East for UMASS Amherst. As mentioned as one of Cavanaugh's goals, I can see this hiring as a way to strengthen the CT connection to the University. Many talented players have left the state in recent years for other D-1 schools, many in Hockey East . Joe will be a
                          nice fit for that regional niche, and is also a class act who will bring enthusiasm and drive to this program.
                          Good to see CT connections hired.

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                            Congratulations to West Haven CT native Joe Pereira for landing the UCONN assistant coach job. Being from my hometown, I can tell you that Joe and his family are deeply entrenched in the Connecticut and New England hockey scene, I believe his brother Mike is still playing in hockey East for UMASS Amherst. As mentioned as one of Cavanaugh's goals, I can see this hiring as a way to strengthen the CT connection to the University. Many talented players have left the state in recent years for other D-1 schools, many in Hockey East . Joe will be a nice fit for that regional niche, and is also a class act who will bring enthusiasm and drive to this program.
                            I have to say that these choices seem a little weak to me. I could buy 1 guy with little or no experience, but two seems like AHA hiring and that is a problem in my view. And the other thing I preach all the time is that this "Connecticut connection" nonsense is badly over-rated. Recruiting based on zip code is a horrible policy, and one doomed to failure in my humble view. I almost get the feel that this was a big part of the motivation for hiring Pereira, and if it was, it is a crazy move. UConn moving to big time hockey isn't going to result in Connecticut players knocking down the doors. UConn, at least for a while, is still UConn and BC, BU, UNH are still BC, BU and UNH. That will change slowly and over time. This might turn out to be a brilliant move, and these guys might end up being comparable to Cav and Brown at BC in 5 years. But it concerns me that this is the level of assistant he hired. I'd have been much more comfortable with a more experienced assistant coach, particularly with a head coach who himself has never run a program. And his BC experience not withstanding, Cav has not run a program. The real concern though, is that the athletic department might have decided to force this decision, too. Over pay for a head coach then hamstring him by limiting his budget for assistants. But it would be the kind of thing I have come to expect from the current AD, of whom I am no fan.

Comment

Again, what makes you think proven assistants were beating down the door for these jobs at UConn? You don't think Cav would have listened if that happened?

Comment

Working...
                              X