Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

• Re: UConn 2013-2014: Let the Cavanaugh Era Begin

Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
      Very nice indeed. BCHL yet. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by RSTuthill View Post
        That's the difference between you and me Nick. You read what the fans say online. With season tix on the 50, I talk to the fans directly. We couldn't lose on Saturday. Either the team won and we would be happy, or it lost and there would be an immediate coaching change (and we would be happy), regardless of whether of not Kiffin got sacked at USC. In fact, the decision at UConn was made before the USC decision. UConn just had more class in announcing it on Monday although maybe having a bye week this week gave them a bit more latitude to work with.
        I didn't realize Univ of Buffalo football had season ticket holders. Congrats. You must be their biggest fan.

FWIW, no doubt Kiffin's firing was ridiculous. Sometimes being ruthless like that is a good thing but this didn't look good. The only reason it didn't look worse is because Kiffin was such a dbag, he deserved to be treated like that. If it was a nice guy like PP that got that treatment the press would have been all over the school.
        Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
        The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
          I didn't realize Univ of Buffalo football had season ticket holders. Congrats. You must be their biggest fan.

FWIW, no doubt Kiffin's firing was ridiculous. Sometimes being ruthless like that is a good thing but this didn't look good. The only reason it didn't look worse is because Kiffin was such a dbag, he deserved to be treated like that. If it was a nice guy like PP that got that treatment the press would have been all over the school.
          I'd say you're right. Pasqualoni was the wrong guy for this job. Bu the is about as nice a man as you could ever want to meet. And it was getting ugly on the field. Best for everyone to just make a change and move on.

As far as the Huskies being picked 6th in the AHA, I just think that is a function of the league not wanting to accept the fact that UConn is moving on. I think they will contend for the title this year. If not, I have serious concerns about the coaching choice. Unlike Dick, I have had some since the beginning. I hope to be wrong, though.

Comment

New FBHC TJW just tweeted that Coach Cav was at football practice today. He appreciated the support.

Football and hockey have a lot of cross cultural commonality. In fact, Randy Edsall used to show up at UConn hockey games, and Randy's son played hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
              If not, I have serious concerns about the coaching choice. Unlike Dick, I have had some since the beginning. I hope to be wrong, though.
              I have been a Jerry York fan since he coached at my alma mater long ago. (Likewise Len Ceglarski for that matter.) A lengthy apprenticeship under York has got to be the best preparation a guy can have. On that basis alone he has a minimum of five years to keep the curve moving upward.

Comment

Minimum of five years to keep the curve moving upward...

Don't quite understand what that means.

Anyway, I know you guys want and expect the team to be good THIS year, but in the eyes of administrators, all they care about is recruiting Hockey East caliber players. And sounds like Cav has already landed a nice one.

Comment

New FBHC TJW just tweeted that Coach Cav was at football practice today. He appreciated the support.

Football and hockey have a lot of cross cultural commonality. In fact, Randy Edsall used to show up at UConn hockey games, and Randy's son played hockey.
                  Hmmm... never saw him... surprising because he sticks out very easily.
                  BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                  Skating Friar Jersey
                  AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                  UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                  Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                    With UConn's attendance numbers, everyone sticks out.
                    UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                      He used to sit at the end kinda over near the entrance.

Comment

Coach Cav comes from a football background and played/captained both hockey and football at Bowdoin College. I also think his father was a long time high school football coach, so not surprising.

Comment

If not, I have serious concerns about the coaching choice. Unlike Dick, I have had some since the beginning. I hope to be wrong, though.
                          Utterly ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by UConnHuskies View Post
                            Utterly ridiculous.
                            I have a high opinion of York too, but Ihave a concern that Cav might be a career assistants . He has been considered for several job in the past but never chosen. the one that troubles me most is the UMass job where they were practically ready to go out onto Route 9 and beg passers by to take it. And the word is that he wasn't being groomed to replace York either. So when he wasn't getting the BC job, and he had missed out on several others, you have to wonder if he is hockey's version of Mark Whipple. Again, I hope I am wrong and he's the next York. But we will get the first glimpse in 2 weeks, I guess.

Comment

I was thinking more along the lines of Bud Foster. See Spaziani, Frank for instances where things can go south with an career assistant.
                              Originally posted by reBlur
                              the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

I have a high opinion of York too, but Ihave a concern that Cav might be a career assistants . He has been considered for several job in the past but never chosen. the one that troubles me most is the UMass job where they were practically ready to go out onto Route 9 and beg passers by to take it. And the word is that he wasn't being groomed to replace York either. So when he wasn't getting the BC job, and he had missed out on several others, you have to wonder if he is hockey's version of Mark Whipple. Again, I hope I am wrong and he's the next York. But we will get the first glimpse in 2 weeks, I guess.
                                This way if you are right it's "I told you so" and if you are wrong, it's "what a great season". You win either way with this prediction. Well played.

Comment

Working...
                                X