Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UConn 2013-2014: Let the Cavanaugh Era Begin

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
    Seriously the football helmet is so bad it's hard not to point and laugh at it. I was going to mention it in the other post but didn't want to get off topic. The person that approved of that design should get a serious beating.
    Nick, it is all about money, you and I both know that. And Nike gave them a boatload. Agreed that helmet sux.

All will be forgiven if Manuel elevates TJ Weist to HC after HCPP goes 6-6 this year though. We'll get a clue tomorrow night if the Huskies are gonna have what it takes at the Rent. Towson will be no walkover.

Comment

Originally posted by RSTuthill View Post
      We'll get a clue tomorrow night if the Huskies are gonna have what it takes at the Rent. Towson will be no walkover.
      And the votes are in. Looks like another 5-7 season, maybe even 4-8. Just when you thought it could not get any worse ....

Comment

Tuts, what did you think of the new helmet in game action? Not trying to pile on but I actually thought it was worse than I even expected; the stripe of the pic of the husky down the center is slimmer than it should be.
        Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
        The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Just thought it a little weird. Much prefer the old block C. Were you there or did you watch ESPN3?

Comment

Caught bits of it on ESPN3 via WatchESPN app on my tablet. That app is seriously great, it's great when I have one game going on the tv and want to watch another. Worked great for the tourney in March too!

Shakim had a nice night. Was happy for Sterlin Phifer, met him when he was at BC and he was a very likeable kid.

Basically you guys are where we were with Spaz. While coaching hires are absolutely crazy critical at the college level, you still never know what you're going to get with them. Except PP. I knew the day you hired him it was a bad day for Uconn. As you can see, the 4th Spaz year did damage that will take quite a rebuild. PP must be canned by season's end or you will see a worse mess (conference affiliation being a serious concurrent problem that BC didn't have).
            The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

UConn is now fully stocked with pocket passers for a pro style offense and have just gone to a five wide spread that will require the QB's to throw on the run a lot. This leads me to believe that HCPP was actually told last year that he could stay one more year to mentor his successor, TJ Weist. It also explains why they got Kivon Taylor and have not made a move to use him in the Wildcat.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
                I have been very critical of the new logo and the only saving grace of the new football helmet (which drove the new logo if you can believe it) is that it makes Maryland's no longer the worst helmet in football. I fear they will copy it for hockey. As for the new hockey uniform, the one word I have is boring. I thought the last one was classic and I liked it, especially the blue, but this one is about as bland as it could be. Lettering is too small as well. I keep hoping Warde Manuel gets offered a new job someplace. While he does get credit for the Hockey East upgrade, he has othersise been a disaster. this is Exhibit B.
                "brand syngery" is a synonym for "suck", anyhow. (Keep that in mind, Mr. Meehan.)
                BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                Skating Friar Jersey
                AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Interesting blurb on UConn Hockey in the Courant today. Seems like Cav has decided to skip playing an exhibition game and play 3-4 intra-squad matches instead. I suspect reflecting the no-scholarship history, apparently there are 32 players on the roster, with plans to cut it to 26.

Comment

Shakim had a nice night. Was happy for Sterlin Phifer, met him when he was at BC and he was a very likeable kid.
                    Who is Sterlin Phifer, someone who plays for Towson? There is no one by that name on the UConn team.

Whether UConn has or has not sunk to the depth of BC last year is an open question. Saturday night's game against Maryland will tell the tale. Lose on Saturday (which they are favored to do by 7 or 8 points) and there is no way they will get to the 7-5 record that this coaching staff will need to stick around another year even though Cincinnati now looks beatable. So while it probably won't end up being as bad as BC last year, that will be a moot point. It will have the same effect.
                    Last edited by RSTuthill; 09-11-2013, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Still nothing in the mail from the Hockey program. How about you guys, Jim, Patman, KingDobbs, or Butch?

Comment

Still nothing in the mail from the Hockey program. How about you guys, Jim, Patman, KingDobbs, or Butch?
                        I never get any athletic mail... well, save requests to buy Michigoon tix.
                        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                        Skating Friar Jersey
                        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                        Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Who is Sterlin Phifer, someone who plays for Towson?
                          Yes, he two TDs for Towson. Shakim also had 2 TDs. So... Four touchdowns in this game were from ex-BC players.

Uconn is another PP year away from reaching Spaz year 4 levels but he won't get to year 4 like Spaz did. Throw in the bad conference affiliation (with no hope for much on the horizon, aside from some midday fantasy Butchy has) however and I think it's fair to say Uconn will be in similar shape after this year that BC was last year with an even tougher climb out of that hole due to difficulty selling coaches and recruits on the AAC.

There's always hope for hockey, though (not really). Poor Butchy.

Comment

Yes, he two TDs for Towson. Shakim also had 2 TDs. So... Four touchdowns in this game were from ex-BC players.
                            Yeah, thanks. From tomorrow morning's Courant: Running backs Terrance West and Sterlin Phifer had 23- and 24-yard runs respectively.

Comment

So sorry to interrupt this thread but there's a reference to some old time Uconn hockey in this chapter:

New Chapter: What the Puck! Please read, enjoy, share:

http://oldtimehockeyfornow.blogspot....what-puck.html

Comment

Originally posted by cosmo46 View Post
                                So sorry to interrupt this thread but there's a reference to some old time Uconn hockey in this chapter:

New Chapter: What the Puck! Please read, enjoy, share:

http://oldtimehockeyfornow.blogspot....what-puck.html
                                Great stuff!! The FB team is on the brink of a 4-8 season, so the sooner we can start talking hockey the better.

Comment

Working...
                                X