UConn 2013-2014: Let the Cavanaugh Era Begin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UConn 2013-2014: Let the Cavanaugh Era Begin

Jim, yeah, when UConn hits they win. When they don't hit, they don't win. It has been like that for decades. Until they have their full complement of scholarships in a few years, that will continue (and maybe even longer).

Oh, yeah, UConn-UMass has great potential to become a really nasty rivalry. Hope so! And to accentuate the difference, UMass plays on Olympic ice which means they build their team a bit differently. That means an even greater contrast. There should be U-games in hockey, football, and basketball going forward.

Comment

Originally posted by RSTuthill View Post
      Too bad UConn picked the opening game of their own tournament to have a weak game. QU would have had their hands full with UConn.
      I didn't see the loss to SHU, but UConn definitely outplayed UMass for the most part, expecially in the 3rd. They probably would have been a more formidable opponent last night, but QU has a tendency to play to the level of their competition. I think we would have won, but it would have been a close game.

In terms of raw skill on the ice I'd say these 4 teams rank like this:

QU
      UMass
      UConn
      SHU

Yes, I thought SHU was that bad... how did they win on Sunday? UMass and UConn were very close but I give the edge to the Minutemen due to their speed advantage.

We simply aren't playing our best hockey right now and it shows.
      Quinnipiac Bobcats
      2023 National Champions
      ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
      ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
      East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
      Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
      Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
      Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
        We simply aren't playing our best hockey right now and it shows.
        QU graduated all those players from last year. They can't possibly be as good this year, or even close to it. I am amazed they are doing as well as they are.

UMass will always recruit more speed than UConn because of the ice it plays on. Fifteen feet of added width really opens the game up. But size has its advantages too.

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
          Can I borrow the paint thinner?
          To be fair, he was half right.
          Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
          The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

QU graduated all those players from last year. They can't possibly be as good this year, or even close to it. I am amazed they are doing as well as they are.

UMass will always recruit more speed than UConn because of the ice it plays on. Fifteen feet of added width really opens the game up. But size has its advantages too.
            Disagree with this statement. Quinnipiac returned all their high end players outside of Langlois and 4 defenseman and Hartzell. They lost mostly depth players but that has been replaced by a quality freshman class led by Sam Anas and Garteig has not been a drop off that much from Hartzell. I am not surprised at all at how well they are doing.
            QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
            2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
            2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
            2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
            https://***********/QHockeyBlog
            https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
            https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
              Disagree with this statement. Quinnipiac returned all their high end players outside of Langlois and 4 defenseman and Hartzell. They lost mostly depth players but that has been replaced by a quality freshman class led by Sam Anas and Garteig has not been a drop off that much from Hartzell. I am not surprised at all at how well they are doing.
              We lost a ton of experience and replaced it with a ton of talent. Unfortunately, that talent is not yet refined as that comes with experience. So basically, we're making a bunch of rookie mistakes.

In our first 13 or so games, that talent was overcoming the lack of experience. Now everything seems to be evening out. Whatever happens the rest of the way, we should be scary good in a year or 2.
              Quinnipiac Bobcats
              2023 National Champions
              ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
              ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
              East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
              Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
              Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
              Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by antioch1098 View Post
                QU is awesome!!!
                Dope.
                Originally posted by mookie1995
                bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
                  and I think this could develop into a nice little rivalry going forward. The Huskies wanted to show they could compete with a Hockey East club and UMass wanted to show they were the better more prestigious club.
                  prestigious ? talking about UMass and UConn hockey? and you use that word?

Comment

Just to stir the pot a little, the AHA went 3-2 against HE this weekend.

Comment

Just to stir the pot a little, the AHA went 3-2 against HE this weekend.
                      Which boosted the AHA record from 4-14-0 to an astonishing 7-16-0 (.304 win%) versus Hockey East this season.

Hockey East Against The Rest
                      'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
                        Which boosted the AHA record from 4-14-0 to an astonishing 7-16-0 (.304 win%) versus Hockey East this season.
                        Now plot that curve over time and you will see the point.

Of course I feel the need to warn you that past performance is not a predictor of future performance ....

Comment

http://touch.courant.com/#section/-1.../p2p-78734576/

Looks like Yale is dragging its heels.
                          "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post

Hockey East Against The Rest
                            In all seriousness, the quality of play in the AHA has really improved over the years, partly through the addition of the old CHA members but also just through a general improvement in the "old" AHA members. UConn's win over UMass is a case in point. It wasn't a fluke. The Huskies belonged on the ice with those guys. Five years ago, if UConn won a game against a HEA or ECAC opponent you usually had a sense that they got a little bit lucky and got remarkable goal tending. That wasn't the sense I got on Monday. They did get some excellent goal tending, but they also played UMass at least even.

Comment

I'm not picking on the AHA, just showing the facts. FWIW, I agree that the quality of AHA hockey has certainly improved, as has the parity across much of D-1 hockey. The days of the automatic blow-out win are over. More cases in point... Holy Cross takes BC out to the wood shed on BC's home ice November, and Bentley thumps BU (4-1) at Agganis in December. It's all good in my book!

Although, my Eagles losing to anyone really pizzes me off!
                              'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                                http://touch.courant.com/#section/-1.../p2p-78734576/

Looks like Yale is dragging its heels.
                                They have five fewer OOC games than the rest. Completely understandable. Maybe when they or QU host they play each other as a regular season home game in the first round to conserve their OOC games. Not ideal, I know, but the best I can come up with under the circumstances.

Comment

Working...
                                X