Probably off topic - NHL Playoff coverage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probably off topic - NHL Playoff coverage

I got so used to watching Hockey Night in Canada's Stanley Cup coverage that I forgot how miserable the U. S. Networks cover hockey.

This guy Emerick is a joke. He invents words and terms and murders the game. How in H-E-double hockey sticks do you "pitchfork" a puck? What does he mean by "waffle boarded?" What is the "pie slice?" The first few games I saw him on I thought he was kind of creative, but it gets old.
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Re: Probably off topic - NHL Playoff coverage

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
    I got so used to watching Hockey Night in Canada's Stanley Cup coverage that I forgot how miserable the U. S. Networks cover hockey.

This guy Emerick is a joke. He invents words and terms and murders the game. How in H-E-double hockey sticks do you "pitchfork" a puck? What does he mean by "waffle boarded?" What is the "pie slice?" The first few games I saw him on I thought he was kind of creative, but it gets old.
    The Cafe is where these discussions belong, and there is already a long thread about the NHL playoffs, which includes comments on commentators.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
      The Cafe is where these discussions belong, and there is already a long thread about the NHL playoffs, which includes comments on commentators.
      I'm sure it is, but I don't talk to DI posters and they don't talk to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
        As well as shoe-beating general managers.

Yes we do.

As for commentators, I grew up on a generous diet of Dave Strader and Mickey Redmond on TV, with Bruce Martyn on the mic in the winter, and Ernie Harwell doing the Tiger games in the summer. I've got some pretty high standards, especially on the radio.
        FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
          Yes we do.
          You are at least an honorary DIII poster.

Most of the times I've posted something where the DI "big boys" hang out I've either been ignored or ridiculed. I don't don't need that kind of stuff. I like the unity of the DIII community, even though there are a couple who don't get the concept.

Comment

Prof,
            Couldn't disagree with you more ... Doc Emerick is THE BEST! Really enjoy his call and his contagious enthusiasm for the game!

Comment

Originally posted by PuckVoice View Post
              Prof,
              Couldn't disagree with you more ... Doc Emerick is THE BEST! Really enjoy his call and his contagious enthusiasm for the game!
              I too enjoy Doc Emerick.

Comment

I would watch Doc call the action at a bus stop...in rural Clinton County...in January...after a blizzard...live...(and I'd set my dvr too)
                LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

Originally posted by LakerEagleLover View Post
                  I would watch Doc call the action at a bus stop...in rural Clinton County...in January...after a blizzard...live...(and I'd set my dvr too)
                  He'd probably invent phrases to describe people boarding the bus, too.

I like his enthusiasm, I just hate his made-up words and cliches. How do you "knife" a puck or "pitchfork" it or "waffle board" it? How does somebody "sashay" with with the puck.

Have you ever heard/seen the HNIC crew do a game? They know the game, are enthusiastic, and have insight, too. During the intermissions you get Don Cherry - who is a treat all by himself. The thing I miss out here is the Canadian viewpoint on the game -

Comment

He'd probably invent phrases to describe people boarding the bus, too.

I like his enthusiasm, I just hate his made-up words and cliches. How do you "knife" a puck or "pitchfork" it or "waffle board" it? How does somebody "sashay" with with the puck.

Have you ever heard/seen the HNIC crew do a game? They know the game, are enthusiastic, and have insight, too. During the intermissions you get Don Cherry - who is a treat all by himself. The thing I miss out here is the Canadian viewpoint on the game -
                    Yeah - I like the HNIC guys - provided them with their Cup broadcast facilities on this side of the border for several years...Try this link....
                    http://www.cbc.ca/player/Sports/Live...ght+in+Canada/
                    LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

I talk to you, and you me !
                      It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

How about a "saucer pass" or the "half wall" or the "50-50" battles ? Just a few, drive me crazy !!
                        It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by PuckVoice View Post
                          Prof,
                          I like him!!
                          SNC Men:
                          Five Time National Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014. 2018....
                          NCHA Champions: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017. 2018, 2019...
                          SNC Women:
                          O'Brien Cup Champions: 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by pete99race View Post
                            I like him!!
                            Clearly, I'm in somewhat of a minority. Just missing home and adjusting to new voices on the TV (of course, I also hated it when HNIC lost their theme song in a copyright dispute).

Comment

Pierre Mcguire is my man,good guy,his brother was the netminder on my prep school team and had a great time with him when we visited Hobart,he knows his stuff from the inside out.

Comment

Working...
                              X