Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Plattsburgh State Hockey 13-14 Season 25

Originally posted by Shield View Post
    I think there are only 2 at large bids this year as MASCAC gets an auto bid. One of the at large will either go to Adrian or St Norbert.........so the Cards can't risk any hiccups this year in the conference.
    This year there are 7 (A) auto bids: ECACE, ECACNE, MASCAC. NESCAC, SUNYAC, NCHA and MIAC. 1 pool (B) (from ECACW or WIAC) and 3 (C) at large to fight for.
    Last edited by Birdwatcher; 01-20-2014, 09:25 PM.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
      This year there are 7 (A) auto bids: ECACE, ECACNE, MASCAC. NESCAC, SUNYAC, NCHA and MIAC. 1 pool (B) (from ECACW or WIAC) and 3 (C) at large to fight for.
      Originally posted by Shield View Post
      I think there are only 2 at large bids this year as MASCAC gets an auto bid. One of the at large will either go to Adrian or St Norbert.........so the Cards can't risk any hiccups this year in the conference.
      This will be the 3rd year for the MASCAC autobid. They were the reason Pool B went poof for 2 years. Now that the WIAC is a solo league there are enough teams in Pool B to justify a bid. In effect, one Pool A bid (MCHA) went to Pool B (WIAC).
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification on the NCAA bids. Cards just need to take em one game at a time and they will be fine and playing in March.

Comment

Cards need to beat the teams they should beat. Brockport, Potsdam, Cortland, Buffalo and Fredonia. That leaves Geneseo and Oswego. I would prefer to win the Geneseo game if I had to choose, which would probably make the Oswego meaningless for us. If we lose to Geneseo, then Oswego game is a must. A little help from someone else would be great, but I'm not counting on it.

If the Cards win the regular season title and advance to the SUNYAC Championship game I think they're a pretty safe bet for at least a Pool C. That would give them roughly a 21-4-2 record (and that's factoring two losses in last 9 games). I don't think teams like Utica, Babson, Boston or Trinity will have as good a record. Another thing that could go against us is if Williams does not win their NESCAC tournament. They could nose us out for a Pool C. That's why the Norwich game was so huge for Plattsburgh. If it comes down to it, Norwich probably won't beat us out.

Comment

Cassidy-Radisa-Brenton line brings energy, toughness {Article courtesy of the Plattsburgh Press Republican 1/24/2014}

Linemates Alex Jensen, Dillan Fox and Mark Cosntantine are 1-2-3 on Plattsburgh State’s scoring list.

Michael Radisa, Michael Cassidy and Alex Brenton are … farther down the list.

But like the scoring line, those three have been kept together much of this season. The hard-working players know their role.

“When we start trying to be finesse guys, that’s when we start making mistakes and whatnot,” Radisa said. “We try to keep it simple and be good defensively and then crash and bang and get some garbage goals, as they say.”

The fourth-ranked Cardinals return to SUNY Athletic Conference men’s hockey play when they visit Potsdam tonight.

Brenton, Radisa and Cassidy started playing together last year and have also been on the same line for most games this season. Cassidy said they’ve developed good chemistry.

“I pretty much know where they’re going to be,” he said. “It’s real easy, considering we started at the beginning of last year.”

Radisa, a sophomore from Caledon, Ont., was a regular in the lineup last year but never found the back of the net. He said he’s been shooting more this season, and it has paid off. He tallied his first-career goal in the second game of the year and now has five as well as four assists.

He said his wingers are “awesome guys to play with.

“We’re very similar; all three of us can skate. We like to get on the forecheck and throw our bodies around.

“And they’re smart hockey players. So it makes my job as a center easier when I can count on them to be in the right spot at the right time to make sure we don’t get scored on. Then we can transition to offense pretty easy.”

Cassidy, a West Seneca native, put up career-high numbers last year: five goals and 10 assists. He acknowledged the goals aren’t coming quite as often in his junior season — he has a 2-6-8 line — but said he’s more of a defensive-minded forward anyway.

Brenton, also a junior, netted a career-high eight goals last year and already has six this season, including three game-winners. The Kanata, Ont., native leads the team with 34 penalty minutes.

Cassidy and Radisa said the trio tries to bring a lot of energy.

“All three of the guys come to play hard. They play tough,” Plattsburgh coach Bob Emery said. “They’re not the most skilled guys that we have, but they get the most done many a night. They leave it on the ice. A lot of those guys have done a good job finishing this year as well.”

Starting with Potsdam tonight, Plattsburgh (14-2-2, 7-0-2 SUNYAC) has seven regular-season games left, all against conference opponents.

The Bears (6-10, 1-6) defeated Cortland in December for their only conference win. They started the season 0-6, including a 3-0 opening-night loss to Plattsburgh, but have won six of their last 10 games.

The Bears are known to get fired up whenever they play the SUNYAC’s other North Country team, and Emery said he expects to see their A-game.

The Cardinals are in first place in the conference and intent on staying there.

The primary goal this and every year for us is to win the SUNYAC regular-season championship, and over the past years, the team that wins that regular-season championship is the one that has very few losses,” Emery said. “So right now we’re very fortunate to have zero losses, and we gotta maintain that …”

Email Courtney Lewis at clewis@pressrepublican.com or follow her on Twitter @sportsCourt.

Larry Normandin
            SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
            WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

That's a very solid squad you guys have there. I've been following Coach Emery all year in regards to what he has been saying. He is spot on with his assessments, i.e. bad turnovers and Chewy saves your bacon. I don't the contest was a nailbiter as the Bears made a close contest towards the end. However I think Cadieux committed larceny once or twice early in the contest. I hope all the Cardinal faithful enjoyed our new barn and made it home safely.
              LETS GO BEARS!

"Never play flag football in the nude"-Bob Kevoian

"Don't let anyone tell you what we do builds character, it only reveals it." J.Marsh

SUNY Potsdam '98

St.Lawrence '00

Mike St. Louis is not a BUM!

Comment

Originally posted by Saints17 View Post
                That's a very solid squad you guys have there. I've been following Coach Emery all year in regards to what he has been saying. He is spot on with his assessments, i.e. bad turnovers and Chewy saves your bacon. I don't the contest was a nailbiter as the Bears made a close contest towards the end. However I think Cadieux committed larceny once or twice early in the contest. I hope all the Cardinal faithful enjoyed our new barn and made it home safely.
                The Bears Den is always a tough place for the Cards to play.....They have been blown out of there at least once that I remember!

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Potsdam and Plattsburgh have played each other about 104 times since the late 70's, Potsdam has won 14 times. I remember the blowout and in fact I recall 3 Bear victories at Maxcy.
                  The execution of this Cardinal team is scary when they are clicking. I knew the Bears had to play mistake free hockey to have a chance tonight and Plattsburgh needed to have an off night. Neither happened and what concerns me is that Potsdam may not make the SUNYAC playoffs this year. Sorry don't intend to hijack this thread.
                  LETS GO BEARS!

"Don't let anyone tell you what we do builds character, it only reveals it." J.Marsh

SUNY Potsdam '98

St.Lawrence '00

Comment

• Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
                    The Bears Den is always a tough place for the Cards to play.....They have been blown out of there at least once that I remember!
                    Potsdam's renovated rink is very nice. Well done! Too bad they can't improve the operation of the concession (not that the one in Stafford is that much better).

The trip back to the -burg was routine enough, contrasted with some hair-raisers in previous years!

GO CARDS !

Comment

Good win for the Birds last night. Took the foot off the gas in the third but a WIN is a WIN. The new rink is bright and colorful and it was pleasantly warm too. And the beat goes on....

Comment

When Potsdam scored to make it 4-2 with almost 3 minutes left, why did the Potsdam goalie stay in the net? The face-off was deep in Cardinal territory. Was the coach thinking..."4-2 sounds respectable" let's leave it that way. You've got to give your kids a chance to pull off the miracle don't you ?

Comment

Originally posted by admiral0417 View Post
                          When Potsdam scored to make it 4-2 with almost 3 minutes left, why did the Potsdam goalie stay in the net? The face-off was deep in Cardinal territory. Was the coach thinking..."4-2 sounds respectable" let's leave it that way. You've got to give your kids a chance to pull off the miracle don't you ?
                          I was thinking the same thing!

Comment

Originally posted by Birds View Post
                            I was thinking the same thing!
                            Me also.....could not figure that out....

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by admiral0417 View Post
                              I don't have an answer for that one. I am very proud of the way the Bears competed last night and never gave up. I do know this however, they have a lot of ground to make up if they have any hopes of making the playoffs.
                              LETS GO BEARS!

SUNY Potsdam '98

St.Lawrence '00

Comment

Brenton scores twice, Cards top Bears {Article courtesy of the Plattsburgh Press Republican 1/25/2014}

Plattsburgh State picked up its play in the second period Friday and scored four goals on its way to a 4-2 SUNY Athletic Conference men’s hockey win over Potsdam.

“I think we were a tale of two teams (Friday),” Plattsburgh coach Bob Emery said. “At times we played really well, and at times we were our old selves.

“In the first period, we weren’t emotional at all. And Potsdam was really emotional, and we took them too lightly. Second period, we came out of the locker room and turned it on.”

Dakota Mason started off the scoring surge 2:03 into the second period, and Alex Brenton made it 2-0 less than two minutes later. Connor Gorman scored at 14:12, and Brenton added his second of the night with just under four minutes left in the period.

After that, I think we got back to being complacent again,” Emery said. “We thought Potsdam would lie down.”

The Bears (6-11, 1-7 SUNYAC) pulled a little closer early in the third when Matt Thompson found the back of the net, and then Adam Place tallied at 17:16.

Mathieu Cadieux stopped 28 shots for the win, and Shane Talarico turned away 26 in Potsdam’s net.

Brenton’s two goals gave him eight on the season, tying him for the team lead and also matching his career high. Kevin Emmerling earned two assists, and Gorman also had a two-point game.

The Cardinals’ ongoing problems taking care of the puck in their own end showed up at times Friday.

“I don’t know when we’re going to learn,” Emery said. “We show them video, and it’s taking a long time to sink in. Basically it comes down to our hockey IQ needs to get better.”

No. 4 Plattsburgh (15-2-2, 8-0-2) is off today and will play its final regular-season road games next weekend at Geneseo and Brockport.

Plattsburgh 4, Potsdam 2

Plattsburgh 0 4 0 — 4

Potsdam 0 0 2 — 2

First period- Penalties: Bench, Pots (too many players), 1:26. Caligiuri, Pots (hooking), 6:35. Hall, PSU (interference), 13:26.

Second period- 1, PSU, Mason (Emmerling, Gorman), 2:03. 2, PSU, Brenton (Hermans), 3:54. 3, PSU, Gorman (Emmerling), 14:12. 4, PSU, Brenton (Cassidy), 16:03. Penalties: N. Jensen, PSU (hooking), 5:46. A. Jensen, PSU (roughing), 7:25. Blake, Pots (roughing), 7:25. Thompson, Pots (cross-checking), 7:53.

Third period- 5, Pots, Thompson (Avgerinos, Ware), 5:32. 6, Pots, Place (Cope), 17:16. Penalties: Cassidy, PSU (boarding), 19:38.

Plattsburgh 11 15 4 — 30

Potsdam 8 10 12 — 30

Goaltenders (shots-saves): Cadieux, PSU, 30-28. Talarico, Pots, 30-26.

Power plays (goals-opportunities): Plattsburgh 0-3, Potsdam 0-3.

Attendance: 816.
                                Larry Normandin
                                SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
                                WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Working...
                                X