Something Strange in Hanover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something Strange in Hanover?

I was once a season ticket holder for the Dartmouth Big Green. And then something very strange happened. 1980. After going to the Frozen 4 two years straight, the Big Green failed to have a winning season for the next 20 years. In 1990-91 they only had one victory. For many years the admissions department wouldn't let the team recruit because of academic reasons only to see two very talented players go to Yale and Brown. But now things are different. Instead of being abysmal year after year, the team has now become the kings of mediocre. Since 1980 every team in the ECAC has been in the national tournament, except Dartmouth. This past season Brown played for the ECAC championship. Dartmouth beat them three times during the regular season. The ECAC champion Union was beaten and tied by Dartmouth during the regular season. Dartmouth even beat Yale the national champion early in the season. So someone please tell me why this team continues to flounder year after year?

Re: Something Strange in Hanover?

I don't think flounder is the right word. Your kings of mediocre is pretty accurate though. Seems like they are always decent, never terrible. Just can't get over that hump and into the tourney.

Comment

Obviously, it is because the nachos at Thompson, frankly, are mediocre.

Comment

Because the players they have are not good.

Next?
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Oh I almost forgot. UNH was in the NCAA tournament and they beat them as well. I might almost agree with the nachos too.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
            Obviously, it is because the nachos at Thompson, frankly, are mediocre.
            Can't be it. Tech has the best nachos in the WCHA and they haven't made the national tournament in forever...
            Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
            Originally posted by Quizmire
            mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
            MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
            MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
            I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by Go Irish View Post
              Oh I almost forgot. UNH was in the NCAA tournament and they beat them as well. I might almost agree with the nachos too.
              Yes, thanks for the reminder. That game was tough for me and my brother to watch. I think that UNH never really recovered from that loss last season. That game was also the beginning of Dartmouth's slide, I think, but the Green did not have the OOC and UML wins to fall back on as did UNH.

The fish chowdah at Thompson was lukewarm.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                Can't be it. Tech has the best nachos in the WCHA and they haven't made the national tournament in forever...
                Your point is well taken sir. It must be the lukewarm fish chowdah...................

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post

Next?
                  Don't blame it on the kids. Dartmouth has consistently had above average players in the ECAC for many years. Looking from the outside, the problem is obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                    Yes, thanks for the reminder. That game was tough for me and my brother to watch. I think that UNH never really recovered from that loss last season. That game was also the beginning of Dartmouth's slide, I think, but the Green did not have the OOC and UML wins to fall back on as did UNH.
                    I was at that game, and to me, as a Dartmouth alum, it was awesome. Next game (loss against a pretty bad UMass team) was the beginning of the slide.

Re: original poster's thoughts. I've been going to games since I showed up to campus as a freshman. That was the beginning of the Gaudet's tenure as the head coach. I recall UVM fans taking over Thompson early in my time there. However, it gradually filled up with Dartmouth fans as teams got better in the early 2000s. This was the first sell-out that I witnessed and it was absolutely awesome -- there was a feeling that this program is arriving as a contender on the national stage. But, as J. D. said, they haven't gotten over that hump. They've gotten as close as they can get (16th in PWR three times in the last 10 years) without crossing that threshold into the NCAAs.

Personally, I think the next demon that they have to overcome is winning an ECAC semifinal game (haven't done that since 1980, in the Boston Garden against Clarkson)...
                    Last edited by Bullmoose; 05-29-2013, 11:32 AM. Reason: Originally forgot to add the link...
                    Dartmouth College: NCAAs 1948 1949 1960 1979 1980
                    University of Massachusetts: NCAAs 2007, ECAC Div. II Champs 1972

"When in doubt, use brute force." -- Ken Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post

Next?
                      According the College Hockey Inc the Dartmouth Big Green had 8 players in the NHL this season, the same as Maine, St Cloud, CC and Miami. More than UHN, Notre Dame or Duluth. Seems like they've had some decent players.

Comment

Larriecat, your post has me curious. I know Dartmouth has had some excellent players over many years so looking from the outside, what is the problem? Admissions? the NHL? Fan support?

Comment

Has to be coaching. Not that Gaudet isnt good- but maybe not exceptional. I think we saw what Gadowsky did at Princeton after so many bad years. Yes he recruited better, but he really is a great coach.
                          I think Harvard with Donato is even a more striking version of the phenomenon at Dartmouth

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                            According the College Hockey Inc the Dartmouth Big Green had 8 players in the NHL this season, the same as Maine, St Cloud, CC and Miami. More than UHN, Notre Dame or Duluth. Seems like they've had some decent players.
                            Thanks for pointing out how few UNH players get to the NHL, which is what I have used to defend Umile as a coach in another thread. But, I did not realize that Dartmouth and St Cloud had so many more players in he NHL.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                              The fish chowdah at Thompson was lukewarm.
                              Well, your first mistake was buying chowdah anywhere in New Hampshire. Never trust seafood in a state with less than 20 miles of coastline.

Comment

Working...
                              X