Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXVI: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Tolerate The BTHC

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXVI: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Tolerate The BTHC

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    Not that I believe he's our best...
    I don't think many people think that Peterson is better than Rumpel. This is kind of like Gudmanson-Bennett all over again.

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXVI: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Tolerate The BTHC

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
      Funny that Peterson was the better looking goalie in practice.

I've got a hunch that a message was being sent to Rumps as it seems like he's in the doghouse every once in a while.

To my eyes, he's always been the better of the two.
      Without considering this weekend, Rumps is more of a steal-a-game goaile than Peterson. About the past weekend, Peterson needs to watch the film once and move on. I still think he is and can be a good goalie.

You have to wonder if Peterson started pressing a bit more in net knowing that Rumpel was not on the bench.

Comment

In terms of looking ahead, I was all kinds of impressed with the short view we got of Miller. I mean, he had to have no thoughts of getting ice time this year, then suddenly he's on the Boston trip and in the net in the first game and he took advantage of that short notice opportunity to shine, IMO.

It's obviously a small sample size, but it was nice to see a guy step up in a tough spot. He clearly knows how to impress with limited exposure - that's how a walk-on makes the team in the first place. But when you have goalies A1 and A2 who are the same year in school, it makes you feel a little more secure in the future of the spot to know the guy coming behind them is no slouch, either.
        It's a great day for hockey!

Comment

My take away from the first two weekends are this:

1. The Badgers are grossly overrated.

2. Badger fans were viewing The wins last weekend against a poor NMU team with rose colored glasses. The NMU team that came to Madison this year was without last year's leading scorer Thurber (graduation) leading goal scorer Seckel (injury) top scoring defenseman McCaully (graduation) and top goalie Coreau (graduation) and still almost stole a game from what is supposed to be a powerhouse!

3. Once again we heard the transition to small rink excuse.....don't they practice on a small rink at the LaBahn????

4. How many weeks until we are once again subjected to the boring neutral zone trap crap they instituted last season to keep up with teams that were more skilled than them.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtyme25 View Post
            My take away from the first two weekends are this:

1. The Badgers are grossly overrated.

2. Badger fans were viewing The wins last weekend against a poor NMU team with rose colored glasses. The NMU team that came to Madison this year was without last year's leading scorer Thurber (graduation) leading goal scorer Seckel (injury) top scoring defenseman McCaully (graduation) and top goalie Coreau (graduation) and still almost stole a game from what is supposed to be a powerhouse!

3. Once again we heard the transition to small rink excuse.....don't they practice on a small rink at the LaBahn????

4. How many weeks until we are once again subjected to the boring neutral zone trap crap they instituted last season to keep up with teams that were more skilled than them.
            I take it based on your post, you aren't a Badger fan. Hence your are trolling to get a reaction in a Wisconsin thread. I won't distinguish your trolling with any kind of logical response (that you won't understand), but 3 of your 4 points are completely false, and one only partially true.
            gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
              I take it based on your post, you aren't a Badger fan. Hence your are trolling to get a reaction in a Wisconsin thread. I won't distinguish your trolling with any kind of logical response (that you won't understand), but 3 of your 4 points are completely false, and one only partially true.
              How wrong you are.....

1. Very large Badger fan and season ticket holder.

2. So were the Badger not over-rated?

3. Did Wisco not barely beat a NMU team that lost or is missing most of its key cogs from last year? While Wisconsin returned most of theirs, hence the inflated rating.

4. Do they not practice at the LeBahn???

5. What did Mike Eaves do last year when his troops were getting their butts kicked?? Boring trap hockey, that what. A couple more whippings and you will see the trap back at the Kohl Center and the stands even emptier!

Not much to refute here, just the facts!

Comment

Sounds like Eaves has used the smaller rink excuse before/a lot? I guess my question would be, how would playing a faster team like BC in a smaller rink be a detriment to Wisconsin? You'd think it would be easier to deal with the opponent's speed in a smaller area of ice.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtyme25 View Post
                  How wrong you are.....

1. Very large Badger fan and season ticket holder.

2. So were the Badger not over-rated?

3. Did Wisco not barely beat a NMU team that lost or is missing most of its key cogs from last year? While Wisconsin returned most of theirs, hence the inflated rating.

4. Do they not practice at the LeBahn???

5. What did Mike Eaves do last year when his troops were getting their butts kicked?? Boring trap hockey, that what. A couple more whippings and you will see the trap back at the Kohl Center and the stands even emptier!

Not much to refute here, just the facts!
                  Not many facts in any of your statments!

1. If you are a large Badger fan, how come you only post disparaging remarks in Wisconsin threads. I checked your other posts. Nice for a "fan" to rip his team any chance he gets.... I am no fan of Eaves, but I still want the team to succeed. Seems to me that you are are a bigger NMU fan than Badger fan.

2 Nope, you said grossly over-rated originally. Big difference than just overrated. This is still a top 10 team.

3. No one I know viewed the 2 wins last week vs NMU with rose colored glasses. They played well on Friday for 2 periods and then slogged through Saturday in a defensive game against a weaker opponent allowing them to stay in the game. They didn't play great. I haven’t seen anyone here say anything other than that.

4. Who used the small rink excuse for this weekend? I didn't hear that from anyone here. If it was a quote from Eaves this weekend, I haven’t heard it. But, the last time I checked 200x90 at LaBahn isn’t a NHL size 200x85 rink. It is however an intermediate size and 7’ narrower than the Kohl Center.

5. Trap Blah, blah, blah. I don’t mind defensive minded hockey if you can win and put out full effort. I haven’t seen that full effort much at the Kohl center lately.
                  gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                    Sounds like Eaves has used the smaller rink excuse before/a lot? I guess my question would be, how would playing a faster team like BC in a smaller rink be a detriment to Wisconsin? You'd think it would be easier to deal with the opponent's speed in a smaller area of ice.
                    Smaller rink = less reaction time. When you are on your heals (and thinking) about how to react, a quick team is going to make you look absolutely 1.) stupid, 2.) talentless, and 3.) unprepared.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                      Say what you want about laying an egg, one bad weekend, early in the season, etc., but a bigger concern is how the Badgers can start handling these smaller faster teams. I go back to the the 2010 NC game and they got beat up and down the ice, then you look at Umass Lowell last spring and then this weekend.

Looks to me from the outside that we aren't prepared for these faster teams and that falls back to the coaches on both coaching and recruiting aspects.

This year is make or break and they can't afford to get a whooping like happened this past weekend. If we can't achieve with this group, what is going to happen next year with recruits that aren't even signed yet!
                      handling the smaller faster teams is a huge issue for Eaves right now. yet if you follow the recruiting he's still looking for big NHL-style guys, witness that 6'6" guy they just got a verbal from. those types of players generally do look like pylons when you're up against a team like BC who has 12 forwards that can skate like the panzers, hoogsteens, rau's, cygan's of the world.

your last sentence is why I've been more pessimistic w/Eaves than optimistic over the past 2-3 seasons. They get it done this year or there's another 2-year cycle of excuses and more excuses and that's tiring as hell. frankly, I was a bit optimistic about this team to start considering the forwards but I did and still do have nagging doubts about their d-core.

I didn't see significant improvement the past 2 years from about 3 guys back there and that makes it tough for the team to improve overall.
                      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

If anyone wants to relive the Boston College game from Friday, I broke down all the goals scored with pictures.

LINK

Comment

Solo hit the nail on the head. Against the top teams our d men are going to struggle. How many of them were recruited by Butters? I hope they can prove me wrong just don't see it though. Chuck is Davidson a contributor?

Comment

Originally posted by ecjd View Post
                            Solo hit the nail on the head. Against the top teams our d men are going to struggle. How many of them were recruited by Butters? I hope they can prove me wrong just don't see it though. Chuck is Davidson a contributor?
                            It's almost the exact same defense as last year, minus Ramage. And Drake played 18 games last season, so they have six experienced guys. I don't buy it.

If you're worried about giving up goals, Davison probably isn't a player you want to insert into the lineup. Not meant to be a knock on Timmy, but he's better at the offensive side of things, moving the puck up ice, etc. than shutting it down in his own end.

Comment

I have a friend who works at various Badger events (guest services/usher type of gig). After football games, they have this half-hour debriefing where they discuss what fans liked and didn't like, and what they can improve. After hockey games, there's no such thing - they just get out of there at the final horn, sometimes earlier. I found that interesting.

Comment

The biggest disappointment was that Petersen played poorly in a bounce back game @ BU. He obviously hadn't mentally recovered from the BC game, though the BC game score wasn't a reflection of his play, according to reports. He's going to need to be ready this weekend and the coming ones.

FYI Eaves did cry about the rink size in print at least. BC's rink and LaBahn are nearly the same size.
                                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Working...
                                X