Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXVI: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Tolerate The BTHC

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXVI: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Tolerate The BTHC

Originally posted by burd View Post
    I know it's probably old news to longtime Badger fans, but what's the story with the old flashcard guy.
    He is not Phil. He is and always will be "crazy sign guy," as that is what we called him during the coliseum days as a student. That is what I yell to him today to get his cheers going (we sit near him on Friday games). None of this Phil, phil, phil, phil.... stuff that the students do. Crazy sign guy!

Best story I have with him is at Halloween a few years ago, some college kid dressed up as crazy sign guy, and he had all the hand motions and stuff just like how Phil does it. It was hilarious.
    gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXVI: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Tolerate The BTHC

Phil will also go to volleyball games, and do his thing after set wins.

Comment

Curious what the demand has been like for the Red/White scrimmage in Eau Claire. I presume not many (if at all) will come from Madison and it will all be locals? I still think they'll sell out the building, I was just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post

I chatted briefly with him once on the way into the Kohl Center, he's a really nice fellow.
          My tickets were next to him at the Excel Regional in 2010. Two of the best game experiences of my life. He and his wife are super nice. Best line of his was "I graduated with a degree in Political Science from UW. Turns out, the political science factories were not hiring at the time..."
          In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
          I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

He has always been "Count Score Guy" to my crowd.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
              I'll be hosting a weekly podcast-ish type show online focused around badgers hockey this season. I was curious if you guys had any suggestions for things you'd like to hear/see on a possible show this year. I'm open to any and all ideas if you have them.
              It would be nice if you could hook up with a blogger from the other team, particularly with the new conference and not knowing much about the teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                It would be nice if you could hook up with a blogger from the other team, particularly with the new conference and not knowing much about the teams.
                That's one thing I'd really like to do, especially early in the season so we can get a better sense of these teams we aren't accustomed to seeing as much.

Comment

Originally posted by srkbadger View Post
                  We always called him "The Dweeb" in a kinda nice way. He looked like the guy who invented pocket protectors, ya know. Our group used to award the princely sum of $1 to the first person who spotted him at the Showdown in Milwaukee, but I remain the only person to have spotted him in the dark on the interstate during the drive home.
                  "This world is your world. Take it easy, but take it." - Woody Guthrie

Comment

A guy like Phil/Crazy Sign Guy/Dweeb becomes a part of tradition in ways you can't plan or buy. You are lucky to have him. Or perhaps you are lucky to have a fanbase that knows how to have such fun. He probably would have been ignored into silence at Mariucci and probably the Ralph.
                    Last edited by burd; 08-27-2013, 05:03 PM.

Comment

A guy like Phil/Crazy Sign Guy/Dweeb becomes a part of tradition in ways you can't plan or buy. You are lucky to have him. Or perhaps you are lucky to have a fanbase that knows how to have such fun. He probably would have been ignored into silence at Mariucci and probably the Ralph.
                      Well Mariucci does suck..

I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

Originally posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post
                        Well Mariucci does suck..
                        Can you imagine the pain and sadness that must come with the realization that you were born into such a culture? Even if you didn't suffer from the affliction, you would always wonder if you were a carrier.

Comment

Originally posted by srkbadger View Post
                          He has always been "Mr. Count Score" to our family as well. Sat at a table with Phil and his wife at the 1990 team banquet. I will echo that they are super nice people. My wife also got pictures with Phil in Detroit 2010 at the hotel waiting for the team to get on the bus for the ride to the stadium.

Comment

Can you imagine the pain and sadness that must come with the realization that you were born into such a culture? Even if you didn't suffer from the affliction, you would always wonder if you were a carrier.
                            Sad to say I am a carrier. Dad was a goof. Not something I am proud of but being as proactive as possible to make sure it does not pass to the next generation. All I can do I suppose...

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                              Parking question...I like parking in the lot where the bicycle shop used to be off Regent St by gate C by the RR tracks. Is there any free parking in that area for men's games? I don't care about the walking distance. Tx.
                              Originally posted by Almington View Post
                              Just because a lot isn't controlled does not mean that a permit is not required. Id check to make sure that any campus lot does not require one before parking, I have to believe that events are a great time to handout tickets to the unsuspecting.
                              I was walking back from the Nat today and paid attention to the open parking lots that are uncontrolled on hockey game days. They all seem to have signs that say

Lot [#]
                              Permit required
                              Mon - Fri 7AM - 4:30PM
                              [Blank Space]
                              Violators Will Be Towed
                              [A picture of a car being towed]

The lots I specifically took note of were the one behind the dairy plant and the one behind the police station, UW Credit Union, and the (former) Stadium Bar and Eatery. (Stadium bar, stadium bar, hit 'em in the head with a stadium bar...oy!) I think it connects to the Credit Union's own lot that is supposed to be for customers, but I'm not sure. I do know that most of that lot is just a public lot with that sign that the other lots have. I'm talking about this area (Google maps).

The lot next to Union South (by the Cousin's subs) is not available without a permit, as is the lot across the street behind the Psychology building. So some of these campus lots are usable without a permit (after 4:30), while others aren't.

Comment

Looks like we're not alone and Barry & Co. are even ****ing up football games by fixing what wasn't broken:

http://host.madison.com/sports/colle...a4bcf887a.html

This was taken from the comments section and it's spot on...

"This athletic department is supposed to be so market savvy and adept at Alvarez refers to as the "fan experience". Why weren't they monitoring what was going on during the game? Oh, they're all too busy lounging in those fancy boxes upstairs, away from and far above all of the "little" people who pay their salaries."

I'm so ****ing tired of hearing about the "fan experience," especially from people who have probably never actually been fans.

It's so great that they put in a new jumbo scoreboard so they can fill it with sponsors. Even my mom (72 yo) was complaining that they didn't have the stats up there but she knew that Alliant and BMO were sponsors.

**** you Barry, you clown.

Comment

Working...
                                X