Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXVI: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Tolerate The BTHC

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXVI: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Tolerate The BTHC

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
    It's hard to get to the KC often when it's a five + hour drive, but I did see the Minnesota game in person (I realize that was one of the highest attended games of the season) & all the rest on TV. But I also saw them play in Green Bay, at Duluth, at Minnesota, at North Dakota and the outdoor game which are all interesting comparisons to the home atmosphere.

And yes, I know Baggot's article sparked the discussion and don't have a serious problem with it getting brought up, just a nagging problem that I wish would go away because it's not a fun topic to talk about.

The reason I asked, and I know you live far away (not calling you on your fan card), is that seeing 8600 in attendance in a box score and equating or comparing that to 4000 at an eastern school doesn't do justice.

8600 (or whatever) at the Kohl Center feels EMPTY. You don't notice that there are more fans in attendance than all but two other schools that weekend. You notice that there are over 6000 empty seats. Being 3rd in the nation in attendance means nothing when you're there and it sucks.

Now look at an eastern school that draws 4000 a game, but that's 95% capacity. That's gonna be a great atmosphere and a lot of fun to be at. None of those people would be impressed if they came out here for a game and sat in a half-empty arena that now only feels cavernous instead of impressive. They're very unlikely to think to themselves that they wish they could trade places.

The attendance is a big issue and it could get worse as it feeds itself. More and more people (like me) will stop going due to the emptiness, which will create more emptiness and cause more and more people not to go.

The only solution is sustained success. Gotta end the (1 year) peaks and (2-3 year) valleys and make Badger hockey something that people don't want to miss out on. Until then, people are unlikely to buy back in or come on board for the first time.

Also - could we lose a recruit? I don't see that as impossible. If all other things are equal, a kid may want to be a part of a program that is supported by the community and fans. Not likely, but not impossible.

I know if it was me, I'd rather play in front of a packed house that's into it than a half-empty morgue. Again - if all other things were equal to that kid.
    Last edited by Gurtholfin; 08-16-2013, 01:31 PM.

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXVI: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Tolerate The BTHC

Originally posted by GBBadger14 View Post
      Definitely agree with this. I was pretty upset when I saw that there's 3 home series over winter break this year as I will be back home in GB, but I will definitely be making the trip down for the Michigan series.
      I had the same reaction to the schedule as well, and I'll be sure to return before that weekend, so I can attend all four games (the women host North Dakota at La Bahn). I'll be able to play much more pond hockey, too!

Comment

Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
        Are you honestly saying you think this team is going to end up with a single digit in the loss column? Just want to make sure I am reading that correctly.
        Yes. You read it here first. And I'm thinking less than 9 losses. When they got everyone back and Kerdiles got his feet wet, they were practically unbeatable. The D returns almost everyone - Rammer, the O returns everyone - Woods plus a couple highly regarded freshman and the goaltending is way above average. Rumpel, Zengerlee, Kerdiles and Mersch are on the TA's Hobey Watch.

I do agree one wildly successful won't turn the tide on attendance, but I think it can stop the bleeding.

Wisconsin Hockey: Optimism in August
        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
          And I'm thinking less than 9 losses.
          I'd take this bet.

Comment

Visitor to the Wisconsin thread just wondering. Has there ever been talk of a smaller hockey only facility? Would that even be something the fans would want, or is the Kohl Center the best environment? People keep talking about attendance being an issue, but it's mostly because the cavernous KC looks empty compared to a smaller building. Pure hypothetical, I know. They just added LaBahn so clearly KC is the long term choice. Just curious if it's been discussed in the past.

Comment

The majority of the people on this thread are a bunch of downers. It doesn't matter what kind of season the Badgers have, you'll find something to ***** about. If the Badgers win a game 2-1, you'll complain it's a boring game. If they win 6-5, you'll complain of poor goaltending or D sucks.
              The land scape for UW hockey will always be a ebb & flow kind of program. If you don't like it than don't go to the games and stop *****ing about it on this site.

Comment

Originally posted by Badgerice View Post
                The majority of the people on this thread are a bunch of downers. It doesn't matter what kind of season the Badgers have, you'll find something to ***** about. If the Badgers win a game 2-1, you'll complain it's a boring game. If they win 6-5, you'll complain of poor goaltending or D sucks.
                The land scape for UW hockey will always be a ebb & flow kind of program. If you don't like it than don't go to the games and stop *****ing about it on this site.
                I disagree. Once they got it rolling last season, I thought everyone was pretty positive.

Comment

I agree to a point but even when they were winning the fans still didn't come out. They should have packed the coliseum for their game aganist St Cloud. It was for the McNat Cup and fans complained it was off campus, have to pay for parking. I read all the past threads about it and it was the same group of Badger complainers. Instead of being on the positive side and help cheer the team on to a Championship. They still complained about petty issues. A true, die hard fan would have shown up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Badgerice View Post
                    I agree to a point but even when they were winning the fans still didn't come out. They should have packed the coliseum for their game aganist St Cloud. It was for the McNat Cup and fans complained it was off campus, have to pay for parking. I read all the past threads about it and it was the same group of Badger complainers. Instead of being on the positive side and help cheer the team on to a Championship. They still complained about petty issues. A true, die hard fan would have shown up.
                    Agreed. I was there.
                    WISCONSIN BADGERS
                    NCAA Championships: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, and 2006
                    WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1977, 1990, and 2000
                    WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013
                    B1G Tournament Champions: 2014
                    Hobey Baker winner: #5 Blake Geoffrion

Comment

Originally posted by Badgerice View Post
                      I agree with all of that, but people reading a college hockey forum in August aren't exactly the bulk of the fans.

Comment

• Originally posted by Badgerice View Post
                        The issue is that people are not sitting around waiting to see what the badger hockey team did, and the disastrous first month plus (and the loss to PSU) killed any chance of breaking through the noise and building positive fan momentum going into the playoffs that this was a good team.

Plus, the Coliseum is a dump.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                          Plus, the Coliseum is a dump.
                          About calling sports venues "dumps" -

Isn't that almost all reputation-based? Compared to Camp Randall Stadium, the Coliseum is a palace. Camp Randall Stadium is a big blob of concrete and metal, with some dim, cramped tunnels that one might call "concourses." Nobody calls Camp Randall Stadium a "dump." Walking around before the Saturday game at the Coliseum, I was able to see a few places where you could point your finger and say "yup, this is an old building," but that building mainly shows its age by the color scheme of the walls and carpets. It was certainly not enough to hinder my enjoyment, especially considering it was just one weekend, so the "retro" novelty was still there.

I thought that series was super fun to attend.

Wisconsin Hockey - Hey everyone, be excited! This happened!
                          *****http://cdn2.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/16539119/broadmoor.0_standard_709.0.jpg******
                          Last edited by WiscDC; 08-16-2013, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by slowe View Post
                            Visitor to the Wisconsin thread just wondering. Has there ever been talk of a smaller hockey only facility? Would that even be something the fans would want, or is the Kohl Center the best environment? People keep talking about attendance being an issue, but it's mostly because the cavernous KC looks empty compared to a smaller building. Pure hypothetical, I know. They just added LaBahn so clearly KC is the long term choice. Just curious if it's been discussed in the past.
                            I have thought about this and of course there is no way a new facility is coming. But I thought they could close of the third deck and move everyone to the first and second. That would make for a better atmosphere. Just a thought....
                            gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
                              About calling sports venues "dumps" -

Isn't that almost all reputation-based? Compared to Camp Randall Stadium, the Coliseum is a palace. Camp Randall Stadium is a big blob of concrete and metal, with some dim, cramped tunnels that one might call "concourses." Nobody calls Camp Randall Stadium a "dump." Walking around before the Saturday game at the Coliseum, I was able to see a few places where you could point your finger and say "yup, this is an old building," but that building mainly shows its age by the color scheme of the walls and carpets. It was certainly not enough to hinder my enjoyment, especially considering it was just one weekend, so the "retro" novelty was still there.

I thought that series was super fun to attend.

Wisconsin Hockey - Hey everyone, be excited! This happened!
                              *****http://cdn2.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/16539119/broadmoor.0_standard_709.0.jpg******
                              I agree that coliseum series was fun to attend. The Saturday game was my favorite game of the year. Of course Soldier Field was fun too.
                              Last edited by WiscTJK; 08-16-2013, 07:32 PM.
                              gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by markwojo View Post
                                Sorry...I just don't buy into the "defensive" or "boring" or whatever other "style of play" arguements you want to make. Comparing todays version of hockey to that of the early 90's or when Heatley (a generational type talent that there just are not many of that play college hockey much less in Madison) was around if more then a little unfair. You can make the arguement that todays hockey is "boring" relative to the late 70's and early 80's, but that arguement only holds water if other teams are playing that type of hockey (which they are not in college (nor the NHL)).

The Badgers have been plenty exciting under Eaves when he assembles a good team like the 2006, 2010, and even the 2012 (after the first month and a half) versions. Sorry, but Eaves track record clearly shows he is willing to let offensive players be offensive players. Guys like Earl, Davies, Zengerle were given plenty of rope to play offensively with little attention to the D side of the puck. Zengerle has improved dramatically in his D awareness...but you can't even begin to argue Davies or Earl did and keep a straight face. Eaves problem has not been letting offensive minded players have the freedom to do their thing...It's been he always seems to be short one or two of those kind of guys on his roster. The blend of offensive minded guys with responsible type guys has been generally a bit off not to mention the vicious cycle of uneven classes that has never seemed to go away under Eaves. It is always boom of an experienced team or the bust of an extremely green one.
                                There are still many teams that play a more wide-open style of hockey than Wiscosnin. Nodak, Minnesota, BU to name just 3. If you enjoy that (and I do) then that means quite a bit. If it doesn't bother you to see the defensive style and the concern when you're team is down 1-0 or 2-0 as to whether they'll score then that's fine too. everyone has their .02

In the NHL our Stanley Cup champion Blackhawks seem to do just fine playing a more race-horse brand of hockey.

I'm not saying 2006 wasn't fun it was FUN AS HELL! but the majority of the seasons since have been pretty boring in this fan's opinion.

the dip in attendance if it's tied to boring hockey as one aspect of many, I'd have to say if you grew up w/70's, 80's or early to mid 90's UW hockey, then yeah, the current style is boring and it HAS negatively affected the fan base.

maybe we can boil it down in a different way.

how about this?
                                Is Badger Hockey fun anymore? Is it as fun as when you first started going to games? Is the atmosphere the same? Style of play, numbers of wins, atmosphere it all enters the equation as to whether the games are fun and whether you want to remain a part of it.
                                Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X