NCAA Hockey Scheduling Disparities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA Hockey Scheduling Disparities

Starting this thread to continue this discussion here instead of clogging up the NCAA Hockey to Georgia thread.

Re: NCAA Hockey Scheduling Disparities

LOL!

You're the best.

Comment

green arrow

Edit:actually white arrow within green circle.
      Originally posted by CavalryNate
      Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
      sigpic

Comment

So, with the announcement of Michigan's schedule for '13-14- some non conference analysis:

The Wolverines are hosting 3 HEA schools: BC, BU and UML. They are also hosting MTU (2), Niagara and Ferris State.

They travel to UNH (2), UNO (2) and to RIT. They will also play in the GLI at Comerica Park against WMU and either MSU or Tech.

So... can we give them a little slack on the "Michigan doesn't travel for series" mantra?

Comment

Originally posted by streaker
          Sorry, that won't fly. Badger Barry will make sure their hockey schedule will parody their robust gridiron nc schedule.

Yeah, we're seeing that already.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker
            Sorry, that won't fly. Badger Barry will make sure their hockey schedule will parody their robust gridiron nc schedule.

Well, Akron, Central Michigan and Connecticut were already tied up by the Wolverines this year, so Barry had to take what was available.

EDIT: Sorry, I should have looked ahead. You do have Miami on 2014's schedule. Wait, what? Miami of Ohio? Well, App State has proven that they can be tough (for you guys), so that should be a good test to start the season.
            Last edited by Gurtholfin; 05-22-2013, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
              Aaaah, yes, the old "I never had a point" ploy. It's no wonder no one ever takes your side in an argument.

How could anyone take his side in an argument when it keeps shifting? Now we can't take criticism?

Nobody CARES that we're not playing the little schools or if we do play them it will be on our terms. Just like every other big program.

Who can't take criticism? I love our stance. I revel in it. I cuddle with it at night.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty
                Are you sure not you're confusing Wisconsin's stance with your profile picture?

I've made it no secret that I embrace our "culture."

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280
                  Oh no, a dozen or so people on a message board despise me.

LOL!
                  You probably think this song is about you...

He was talking about Barry
                  In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
                  I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

Originally posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post
                    You probably think this song is about you...

He was talking about Barry
                    Thanks. Missed that. So used to Gurt's insults getting hurled at me.

As for Barry, I don't hate him. I just wish he'd leave the hockey decisions to hockey people.

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                      Thanks. Missed that. So used to Gurt's insults getting hurled at me.

As for Barry, I don't hate him. I just wish he'd leave the hockey decisions to hockey people.
                      He's the athletic director for Wisconsin. As far as hockey is concerned it was in the best interest of Wisconsin to have the Big 10 hockey conference. It also was in their best interest to schedule who they've scheduled. A point I've made over and over again. Yet you (who thinks Wisconsin is crying) keeps crying over and over and over again about how Wisconsin should do this and Wisconsin should do that. Two days of arguing over something that you said yourself "isn't an obligation".

Maybe you should move on to loftier pursuits. Like what the WCHA should do to survive and not lose any more of their membership. Their meal tickets are gone and they aren't coming back.
                      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                        He's the athletic director for Wisconsin. As far as hockey is concerned it was in the best interest of Wisconsin to have the Big 10 hockey conference. It also was in their best interest to schedule who they've scheduled. A point I've made over and over again. Yet you (who thinks Wisconsin is crying) keeps crying over and over and over again about how Wisconsin should do this and Wisconsin should do that. Two days of arguing over something that you said yourself "isn't an obligation".

Maybe you should move on to loftier pursuits. Like what the WCHA should do to survive and not lose any more of their membership. Their meal tickets are gone and they aren't coming back.
                        I'm just going to throw my two cents in here on this part of the argument. No, none of the larger schools are obligated to do anything...including Wisconsin. I would argue though, that the idea of not giving a **** what happens to other schools is incredibly short-sighted. There are only 53 schools that have hockey right now. Losing more of those programs is not going to do good for anyone. It practically takes an act of God to start a new program at this point ($30 million donations don't grow on trees). If, and I don't think that this will happen, small schools start disbanding, that's less schools for the Wisconsins of the world to attempt to push around and demand home-only arrangements. It's even more short-sighted for the larger schools that are in the west as there is very little incentive for the smaller schools on the east coast to travel long distances for those home-only arrangements. The large schools have the right to do what they want, but they have to live with the consequences just like everyone else.
                        Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

Originally posted by Bale View Post
                          I'm just going to throw my two cents in here on this part of the argument. No, none of the larger schools are obligated to do anything...including Wisconsin. I would argue though, that the idea of not giving a **** what happens to other schools is incredibly short-sighted. There are only 53 schools that have hockey right now. Losing more of those programs is not going to do good for anyone. It practically takes an act of God to start a new program at this point ($30 million donations don't grow on trees). If, and I don't think that this will happen, small schools start disbanding, that's less schools for the Wisconsins of the world to attempt to push around and demand home-only arrangements. It's even more short-sighted for the larger schools that are in the west as there is very little incentive for the smaller schools on the east coast to travel long distances for those home-only arrangements. The large schools have the right to do what they want, but they have to live with the consequences just like everyone else.
                          Thanks for the input Bale. I was hoping you would provide your input on this subject and I appreciate your thoughts on this. I agree with everything you said.

Comment

Originally posted by Bale View Post
                            Where was the concern when they formed the Big 10?
                            Where was UND/Denver's concern when they formed the NCHC?
                            Where was the CCHA's concern when Alabama Huntsville was going down the drain?

There's real world and there's fantasy.
                            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                              Where was the concern when they formed the Big 10?
                              Where was UND/Denver's concern when they formed the NCHC?
                              Where was the CCHA's concern when Alabama Huntsville was going down the drain?

There's real world and there's fantasy.
                              I don't disagree with anything that you are pointing out. My only point is that the short-sightedness of all of the conference shifting is a bit astonishing. That includes the Big Ten, NCHC, and the UAH decisions. Making decisions that are only good for the largest of the large in a niche sport isn't like the consolidation going on in basketball and football. Schools are free to do what they want, but the unintended consequences have the potential to be a *****. The latest changes have put the schools that have the least revenue into a conference in which they will have the highest expenses. I'm not saying that those schools are going to fold, but they are certainly in a much more difficult and potentially perilous position. If, and this is a big if, some of those schools would fold, it wouldn't just hurt those schools, it would hurt everyone. That school's fans are going away and now the pie has shrunk even more. I can tell you as a fan of one of those schools, I if MSU folded, I would no longer be a college hockey fan. I wouldn't become a fan of the Gophers or St Cloud or anyone else. I would be a pro hockey fan. I'm confident that I'm in the majority on that as well.

And to answer your questions, there was that concern from those of us that take a longer view of things from the beginning. People like Schlossman, and I only point this out because he's been beating the drum the loudest, talk about the short-term potential for schools like Kato and Bemidji. Yes, MSU has the potential in the next few years to really do well in the WCHA, but is that going to be the best for us in the long-run? Programs need cash to survive. If the attendance suffers, even with more winning and NCAA tourney appearances, the program is in worse shape. I know this is doomsday, but for some schools it may not be all that far fetched.
                              Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

Working...
                              X