PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Hockey Scheduling Disparities

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

Shirtless Guy
06-07-2013, 10:55 AM
Now I heard they have the Saab Jets. No more Delta eh?Yup, its only United through Chicago now...

davyd83
06-07-2013, 05:40 PM
Any attempt to change the selection system to negate the home ice advantage held my the marquee schoos will be blocked by those schools. The only way any sort of scheduling equality will happen is for those non top tier school to refuse 2-for-1 or 3-for-1 offers and accept only even trades for home games. And if those second tier schools accept uneven swaps, they only have themselves to blame.

Goon
06-07-2013, 06:12 PM
Yup, its only United through Chicago now...
I guess, it would be easy to go from Fargo - Chicago - Houghton...

Snively65
06-07-2013, 06:50 PM
I don't know if RIT had their arm twisted. Didn't seem to bother Bentley two years in a row. Oh, and hold your breath while I check into that future schedule with Ferris and I'll get back to you. :rolleyes:

Oops, just found this thread. The joke at Bentley was that Reds would be returning the favor so that his players could get some "cult-sha" in the big city nearby the JAR. I really enjoyed my weekend in AA two years ago when the Falcons held their own until five minutes left in each game.

Pink Pony
06-07-2013, 10:39 PM
Any attempt to change the selection system to negate the home ice advantage held my the marquee schoos will be blocked by those schools. The only way any sort of scheduling equality will happen is for those non top tier school to refuse 2-for-1 or 3-for-1 offers and accept only even trades for home games. And if those second tier schools accept uneven swaps, they only have themselves to blame.

How come NMU gets all the two for one?

davyd83
06-07-2013, 10:44 PM
How come NMU gets all the two for one?

Who does NMU have 2-for-1's scheduled with? This year's non conference games are at Wisconsin as part of a 2 year deal with a 2 year option where NMU plays at Wisconsin and plays its home games in Green Bay. They play home against UNO on the back end of a 1-and-1, at Western on the front end of a 1-and-1 and at North Dakota as a one time only with a healthy guarantee from UND. Where are the 2-for-1's ?

Shirtless Guy
06-07-2013, 10:47 PM
Who does NMU have 2-for-1's scheduled with?Like selling out home games in your opponent's home state is that much better than 2 for 1s?

davyd83
06-07-2013, 10:53 PM
Like selling out home games in your opponent's home state is that much better than 2 for 1s?

Financially, yes.

Shirtless Guy
06-07-2013, 11:02 PM
Financially, yes.I'm sure your season ticket holder really appreciate never seeing Wisconsin in Marquette but the bottom line is better so its all ok. Season ticket holders and local fans be ****ed.

davyd83
06-07-2013, 11:07 PM
I'm sure your season ticket holder really appreciate never seeing Wisconsin in Marquette but the bottom line is better so its all ok. Season ticket holders and local fans be ****ed.

So you're saying that doing a 2-for-1 with Wisconsin coming to Marquette that generates far less net revenue would be better than playing in Green Bay and reaching out to a very large alumni base in the Fox Valley AND generating significant revenue in the process? If your argument is valid, why does Tech hosted a tourney in Detroit for the last 40 years in Michigan and MSU's backyard? Oh, yeah, you can generate revenue and reach out to alumni. Wouldn't you be better off to replace it with rotating 2-1's w Sparty and the Wolverines where you could get one of them into Houghton every 3 years to appease your season ticket holders? And if that's really a "Tech" tourney, lets see if they schedule Tech/Northern in the Friday prime time game in a couple years when NMU is there.

MinnesotaNorthStar
06-07-2013, 11:36 PM
Wouldn't it be hard to land a big jet there in Houghton, Michigan... I remember when UND flew to Houghton to play MTU in football during the Division II football playoffs and that airport landing strip was an issue.Houghton's longest runway is 6500 feet. While it wouldn't be able to handle a 747, 757, etc...it would be able to handle a smaller regional jet (CRJ, ERJ, Avro). For comparison, the longest runway at Grand Forks is 7351 and can handle up to a 727 (though those use the entire runway).

FloridaCat
06-09-2013, 12:36 AM
I'm sure your season ticket holder really appreciate never seeing Wisconsin in Marquette but the bottom line is better so its all ok. Season ticket holders and local fans be ****ed.

When I lived in Marquette most of the people living there would make any excuse to drive down to Green Bay. They load buses at Christmas time to go shopping.

Houghton's longest runway is 6500 feet. While it wouldn't be able to handle a 747, 757, etc

A B757 can handle a 6500ft runway. It depends on aircraft weight. They landed occasionally at the old Marquette County Airport. This old and now retired Air Traffic Controller hasn't seen a B727 in passenger service in a while, but they probably fly cargo. B717, B737, DC9, MD80 can handle Houghton (CMX).

UncleRay
06-14-2013, 10:53 AM

When I lived in Marquette most of the people living there would make any excuse to drive down to Green Bay. They load buses at Christmas time to go shopping.

Houghton's longest runway is 6500 feet. While it wouldn't be able to handle a 747, 757, etc

A B757 can handle a 6500ft runway. It depends on aircraft weight. They landed occasionally at the old Marquette County Airport. This old and now retired Air Traffic Controller hasn't seen a B727 in passenger service in a while, but they probably fly cargo. B717, B737, DC9, MD80 can handle Houghton (CMX).The Reply With Quote and "+ (multi-quote) buttons at the bottom right of each post can be your friends.