Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NCAA Hockey Scheduling Disparities

Originally posted by streaker View Post
    I don't know if RIT had their arm twisted. Didn't seem to bother Bentley two years in a row. Oh, and hold your breath while I check into that future schedule with Ferris and I'll get back to you.
    I'm positive that RIT did not need to have their arm twisted. They're keenly aware that teams like UM are not ever going to waste an NC game on an arena like Ritter. It's way too small (2100) and generates virtually no ticket revenue (relatively speaking). Blue Cross Arena, on the other hand, will sell out over 10,000 for the UM (and BC in 2014, for that matter) game, generating a large amount of revenue that I'm guessing UM might get a cut of. Yes, it was a 2-for-1 as RIT went to UM this past season. The Tigers also had their arms twisted into a 2-for-0 tradeoff with Wisconsin in 2011-12. But at the end of the day, for programs like RIT the cut the hosts give them to make those trips fund a large percentage of their annual budget. I remember Coach Wilson mentioning that back when they went out to Minnesota for the Marriucci Classic. He said something to the effect that the money they got from that was huge relative to their budget. Those road games are a net positive for such programs that are invited to big program's home rink for NC games. Having them come here to play (only in BCA at this point) is a bonus. RIT sells enough of a percentage of their regular season games' tickets that the draw of the opponent has little effect on their bottom line. So bringing in a BC or UM type team is more a bonus for the fans than anything.
    Can't we all just get along?
    Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Some of the older fans remember the days when ugly helmets used to grace the RPI Field House with their presence. Of course, I don't blame them for not wanting to play us; wouldn't want to make that all-time record even more embarrassing for them.

Comment

Oh, c'mon. You really want to go there? I don't think you want to compare Wisconsin's and Michigan's nc schedule the past decade+.The last few years have been weak, but not Fraudger weak. Got a ton of mileage out of that rivalry with UNLV. Wisconsin hasn't played two legit nc games in the same season since 2003 although this coming season has two.

Wisconsin
        2013: U-Mass, Tenn Tech, ASU and BYU.
        2012: Northern Iowa, Oregon St, UTEP, Utah State.
        2011: UNLV, Oregon St, NIU, South Dakota
        2010: UNLV, Austin Peay, ASU, San Jose State
        2009: NIU, Hawaii, Fresno St, Wofford
        2008: Akron, Marshall, Fresno St, Cal-Poly
        2007: Wash St, NIU, UNLV, Citadel
        2006: BGSU, Western Illinois, San Diego St, Buffalo
        2005: BGSU, Temple, UNC, Hawaii
        2004: UCF, UNLV, Arizona
        2003: WV, Akron, UNLV, UNC
        2002: Fresno St, UNLV, WV, NIU, Arizona

Michigan:

2013: CMU, Notre Dame, UConn, Akron
        2012: Alabama, Air Force, Notre Dame, U-Mass
        2011: WMU, Notre Dame, EMU, San Diego St
        2010: U-Conn, Notre Dame, U-Mass, BGSU
        2009: WMU, Notre Dame, EMU, Delaware St.
        2008: Utah, Miami Oh, Notre Dame, Toledo
        2007: Appy St, Notre Dame, Oregon, EMU
        2006: Vanderbilt, Notre Dame, CMU, Ball St.
        2005: NIU, Notre Dame, EMU
        2004:Miami, Oh, Notre Dame, SDSU
        2003: CMU, Houston, Notre Dame, Oregon
        2002: Washington, WMU, Notre Dame, Utah

You're not hanging your NC hat on Notre Dame are you? Most of the years you show, Notre Dame was an average team at best.

Both NC schedules have been weak. I never claimed ours was good - just mocked yours in retort to your post about ours.

As a season ticket holder, I've hated our NC schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
          You're not hanging your NC hat on Notre Dame are you? Most of the years you show, Notre Dame was an average team at best.

Both NC schedules have been weak. I never claimed ours was good - just mocked yours in retort to your post about ours.

Exactly. Arguing between UW's and UM's NC conference schedule is like a p issing contest between two women.
          In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
          I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

In relation to playing the lil sis of the poor like the Badgers did for two decades, yes, I'll claim the Irish all day, especially since we did alternate home and away with them. If you are saying that some of the mid level Pac 12 schools on the schedule were on par with ND- some years yes. But don't try to draw the same parallels. Utah, Oregon and Washington trump Wofford, Western Illinois,Northern Iowa, UTEP,Citadel, Austin Peay, South Dakota, Utah State and Cal-Poly any season. It's not like we played Appy State and Delaware state every season and it's not like we padded the record with three creampuffs every season, either.

That schedule is indefensible, even if we play every MAC team now.

Comment

In relation to playing the lil sis of the poor like the Badgers did for two decades, yes, I'll claim the Irish all day, especially since we did alternate home and away with them. If you are saying that some of the mid level Pac 12 schools on the schedule were on par with ND- some years yes. But don't try to draw the same parallels. Utah, Oregon and Washington trump Wofford, Western Illinois,Northern Iowa, UTEP,Citadel, Austin Peay, South Dakota, Utah State and Cal-Poly any season. It's not like we played Appy State and Delaware state every season and it's not like we padded the record with three creampuffs every season, either.

That schedule is indefensible, even if we play every MAC team now.

So you're gonna argue degrees of weakness?

Your schedule is weak. Our schedule is weak. If you want to be proud that yours is less weak, I'm not gonna rain on your parade.

Congrats!

Comment

is this a hockey schedule or a football schedule discussion?
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post

This is a Dubbs Thread.

By rule, it must be a circle jerk - which you have contributed to.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    Wisconsin fans don't understand hockey, so it's not surprising when they try and shift the discussion to football.

Just a fore-warning to Michigan fans.
                    Last edited by JDUBBS1280; 05-24-2013, 10:41 AM.

Comment

This is a Dubbs Thread.

By rule, it must be a circle jerk - which you have contributed to.

Thanks!
                      If it's a Dubbs circle jerk, why do I not see "Gophers" in every other post?

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                        Wisconsin fans don't understand hockey, so it's not surprising when they try and shift the discussion to football.

Just a fore-warning to Michigan fans.

Yeah, um, the Wolverine fan brought up football.

More jerkin'...

Comment

Yeah, um, the Wolverine fan brought up football.

More jerkin'...
                          Do Wolverine fans know that any sports other than football exist?

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                            Do Wolverine fans know that any sports other than football exist?
                            Beer pong
                            BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                            Skating Friar Jersey
                            AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                            UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                            Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                              Beer pong
                              I thought that was Dartmouth... (the supposed inventors of beer pong)

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                                I thought that was Dartmouth... (the supposed inventors of beer pong)
                                I didn't say they were original
                                BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                                Skating Friar Jersey
                                AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                                UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                                Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Working...
                                X