best pep band ever - anywhere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best pep band ever - anywhere

I've always viewed us as the Hemi 'Cuda of pep bands. Big beefy American V8 bolted to two couches, noisy, a little crude but a hoot to drive, boatloads of power, godspeed keeping 'er on the road.

Duluth's band is criminally underrated. If they get an animal on drums they can FLY. They do Reel Big Fish better than we do. If only they weren't stuck on the glass.
    Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

I really only have Hockey East experience, so take this with a grain of salt:

UVM's was definitely a standard deviation above the mean--music wise, probably my favorite.
      I've always liked Maine's pep band.
      BC's was meh.
      Providence's sucks. (I feel really bad saying this as I have several friends in the band...but I swear to God if they play Bad Romance one more time I'm going to lose it. Also, my junior year against then-#1 ranked/undefeated Merrimack the keyboarder [I hate that we have a keyboard player] started randomly playing Rihanna's "We Found Love" DURING OVERTIME. Like WHILE PLAY WAS GOING. Un-freaking-believable.)
      Places I've Seen a College Hockey Game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Compton Family Ice Arena, Conte Forum, Cross Insurance Arena (Cumberland County Civic Center), Dunkin' Donuts Center, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Fenway Park, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Pegula Ice Arena, Ralph Engelstad Arena, Schneider Arena, T.D. Garden, Tsongas Center, Thompson Arena, University of Southern Maine, Webster Bank Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Anyone but St. Cloud or Minnesota State.

Like the MTU band. Duluth is usually good, used to be REALLY good.
        AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

#1: MTU - an organic, irreverent, energetic group
          #2: Wisconsin - musically excellent, energetic, big band - synergy with fan section really makes them

Lots of bands tied for #3.
          Hard to judge after that.

Comment

... *cough*
            RIT Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by VermontfaninNY View Post
              In sheer terms of getting under the opponents teams skin, there is no one better than the Clarkson pep band.
              Only if the band they sent to Rochester last season wasn't representative of their normal performance.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by lmg6841 View Post
                ... *cough*
                Consider this, about RIT:

No music majors. No marching band. No football games.

Yet the RIT pep band is so good that opposing teams actively prohibit them from coming to play.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                  Only if the band they sent to Rochester last season wasn't representative of their normal performance.

Powers &8^]
                  From what you described, they were tame.

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                    Consider this, about RIT:

No music majors. No marching band. No football games.

Yet the RIT pep band is so good that opposing teams actively prohibit them from coming to play.

Powers &8^]
                    I believe NMU banned the Tech band from coming with instruments for a few years as well.
                    MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                      I really wish I could argue against this, but I can't.

For the record, I blame whatever AV Club *******s have been put in charge of the Kohl Center. Leckrone can't do his thing if he's constantly being overruled by the ****ed PA system.
                      I think you're onto something here. One of the unique things in college sports is the bands but they've been getting marginalized ever since the marketeers came on the scene and started pushing the idea of the "game experience" which, to me, is mostly noise pollution. It's especially noticeable in the regionals and FF where the bands seem to have been banished to the rafters, limited in numbers, and left to compete with the house organist and sound booth.

Let college sports be college sports.
                      "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                        I think you're onto something here. One of the unique things in college sports is the bands but they've been getting marginalized ever since the marketeers came on the scene and started pushing the idea of the "game experience" which, to me, is mostly noise pollution. It's especially noticeable in the regionals and FF where the bands seem to have been banished to the rafters, limited in numbers, and left to compete with the house organist and sound booth.

EoDS has been saying this for years. Every single time...he is absolutely correct. In every way. Give me all the band you can and I will still ask for more. It is one of the best parts about college sports. I used to love regionals since it is an opportunity to see multiple bands in one arena. Great atmosphere!
                        In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
                        I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

I'm glad to see there are a few people calling out WI's band. Sure, they're decent and they usually have a pretty good guy on the drum set. But take that guy away and what's left? Not a whole lot.

Comment

Tempting to answer for best pep band EVER, something like, The Yale Band at that Princeton game in 1983.

Seriously, it's about impossible to judge. Most bands don't travel much, and those that do, do so poorly -- either because they are limited in size or playing in an unfamiliar space. And how many of us have really traveled around the various arenas to get a good sense of things beyond their own alma mater?

Also, things change from year to year, sometimes quite a bit.
                            I saw 3 of the bands at the Frozen Four (I didn't see the the 2nd semi, so if St. Cloud sent a band I missed it), and was disappointed to see them relegated to the rafters. By far the best of those two evenings was after the finals were over, when the Yale Band came downstairs and played in the aisles.

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post

It's hard to fit the band into the lower bowl at a regional with open seats being so hard to come by...........
                              "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
                              Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
                              The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
                              Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Originally posted by cross cheque View Post
                                It's hard to fit the band into the lower bowl at a regional with open seats being so hard to come by...........
                                Can't speak for the other regionals, but there were no bands at the Western regional this year.
                                I would have loved to see them in the rafters, it would have been thunder from the mountains.

Comment

Working...
                                X