X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. XXVI: Make him an offer he can't refuse

Comment

As soon as Minnesota agrees to a 1 for 1....please come back into our recruiting thread and do tell us all about it. When are the rodents scheduling Huntsville (who is on our schedule AGAIN this year) who as an independent is actually teetering on extinction?

Comment

Originally posted by markwojo View Post
        As soon as Minnesota agrees to a 1 for 1....please come back into our recruiting thread and do tell us all about it. When are the rodents scheduling Huntsville (who is on our schedule AGAIN this year) who as an independent is actually teetering on extinction?
        Minnesota is doing it's part to bring yearly revenue to these schools.

If UW doesn't want to do a single 1:1 rotation, perhaps they can agree to play two two former conference teams who are now in the WCHA every year and split the revenue from some of their home games with those teams. Sounds like that is more digestible to you

I'll give you the option between the two. Chose whichever you want.

OPTION 1
        YEAR 1: Play Away Series
        YEAR 2: Play Home Series
        YEAR 3: OFF
        YEAR 4: OFF

OPTION 2
        YEAR 1: Play Home Series (Split Revenue)
        YEAR 2: Play 2 Home Series (Split Revenue 1 Series)
        YEAR 3: Play Home Series (Split Revenue)
        YEAR 4: Play Away Series
        Last edited by JDUBBS1280; 05-20-2013, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
          Chuck, is there a reason most of the Canadians are from the Western part and not Ontario? I know the OHL is much stronger/deeper than the Q and WHL, but still you would think there would be a few every once in a while. Our last recruit from Ontario (of memory) worked out quite well for UW.
          Wisconsin has obviously gotten some outstanding players out of Ontario, with guys like Brendan Smith and Cody Goloubef being some of the most recent. Obviously they worked out very well. I haven't done a breakdown on numbers of players coming to NCAA hockey from what province, but I think you're probably correct most come from Western Canada. Traditionally, the British Columbia Hockey League has been the strongest non-major junior league in Canada. Why is that? I don't know. But I think the combination of stronger franchises in the BCHL (compared to other non-major junior leagues in Canada) which is an NCAA feeder league, and the OHL being (arguably) the best major junior league equates to more NCAA players coming from Western Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
            Minnesota is doing it's part to bring yearly revenue to these schools.

If UW doesn't want to do a single 1:1 rotation, perhaps they can agree to play two two former conference teams who are now in the WCHA every year and split the revenue from some of their home games with those teams. Sounds like that is more digestible to you
            Or maybe we leave the "saving the State of hockey" to the flagship school in the state?

Comment

Originally posted by markwojo View Post
              Or maybe we leave the "saving the State of hockey" to the flagship school in the state?
              Who said you had to play one of the MN schools? How about Tech? And so you're indifferent to whether programs fold? That won't have any impact on UW hockey?

What would your position have been had Minnesota, Michigan, Denver, Tech (whom you're now too good to play) told UW to go pound sand when UW wanted to join the conference after a 30 year hiatus back in the day? Serious question.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                Wisconsin has obviously gotten some outstanding players out of Ontario, with guys like Brendan Smith and Cody Goloubef being some of the most recent. Obviously they worked out very well. I haven't done a breakdown on numbers of players coming to NCAA hockey from what province, but I think you're probably correct most come from Western Canada. Traditionally, the British Columbia Hockey League has been the strongest non-major junior league in Canada. Why is that? I don't know. But I think the combination of stronger franchises in the BCHL (compared to other non-major junior leagues in Canada) which is an NCAA feeder league, and the OHL being (arguably) the best major junior league equates to more NCAA players coming from Western Canada.
                Thanks, I forgot about those two being from Ontario. I think the OHL teams are a bit more aggressive when it comes to bringing in players they have drafted. The OHL teams/players also get much much more exposure in Canada than teams in the Q and out in WHL. It is probably close to the "east coast bias" here in US. The Toronto Metro is arguably the biggest hockey market in the world. That may have a role in the decision to stay in the area. These things are just interesting to follow.
                Last edited by bucky15; 05-20-2013, 04:12 PM.

Comment

How many times did UMinn play at Bemidji during the last 10 or 15 years before they were forced to do so as a result of conference scheduling? Not a rhetorical question--I don't know the answer.

Comment

These kids will have far less opportunities to play near home against friends and family. The rivalries the teams they grow up watching will change. UW will be less significant I that regard. Etc... There is a reason why a team like Miami-Ohio has less success recruiting in Minnesota.

UW could use the Education angle that the Ivy and prestigious schools like Notre Dame and Boston College use to sway kids, but as great of an educational institution that UW is, it would be hard to compete against those schools in that regard.
                    Miami of Ohio has a more difficult time getting minnesotans because MSHSL kids have options such as: Minnesota, North Dakota, Wisconsin, Denver, CC as their top 5 NCAA destinations. so unless you have kid who has family that went to another school like say Notre Dame, good luck to Miami or anyone else recruiting MN, when you waltz into the state and are at best 6th on the list you won't get results
                    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. XXVI: Make him an offer he can't refuse

Who said you had to play one of the MN schools? How about Tech? And so you're indifferent to whether programs fold? That won't have any impact on UW hockey?

What would your position have been had Minnesota, Michigan, Denver, Tech (whom you're now too good to play) told UW to go pound sand when UW wanted to join the conference after a 30 year hiatus back in the day? Serious question.
                      As soon as Minnesota schedules Huntsville, we'll talk about "saving" programs on life support. Way to keep moving the goalpost...trolling 101. Why has Minnesota not played Army in recent history? How about answer the other question already asked....how often did the flagship program in the state of hockey play Bemidji before they got forced down everyone's throat in the WCHA and watered down the conference and schedule?

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post
                        How many times did UMinn play at Bemidji during the last 10 or 15 years before they were forced to do so as a result of conference scheduling? Not a rhetorical question--I don't know the answer.
                        The Gophers played them 8 times between 2000 and 2010 they have played them a total of 16 times.
                        Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                        dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                        wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

• Originally posted by markwojo View Post
                          As soon as Minnesota schedules Huntsville, we'll talk about "saving" programs on life support. Way to keep moving the goalpost...trolling 101. Why has Minnesota not played Army in recent history? How about answer the other question already asked....how often did the flagship program in the state of hockey play Bemidji before they got forced down everyone's throat in the WCHA and watered down the conference and schedule?
                          The Gophers have played them 4 times.
                          They played Army in 1966.
                          Last edited by 4four4; 05-20-2013, 08:43 PM.

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. XXVI: Make him an offer he can't refuse

Badgers have landed a huge recruit out of Minnesota! It doesn't take playing in that State that the top players want to come to Madison. They want to go to a great program with great coaches and facilities.

Comment

• Originally posted by Badgerice View Post
                              Badgers have landed a huge recruit out of Minnesota! It doesn't take playing in that State that the top players want to come to Madison. They want to go to a great program with great coaches and facilities.
                              The recruiting technique you have given us is an example from the old era.
                              When things straight out only then will we know if it works. I bit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                                On a serious note, this could be the biggest week of the summer.
                                Called it. Brock Boeser is a Badger.

Comment

Working...
                                X