No announcement yet.

What teams will be strong in 2013-2014?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What teams will be strong in 2013-2014?

Anyone have early insights into teams that have strong cores returning and/or recruiting classes expected to make an impact next season?

Re: What teams will be strong in 2013-2014?

A buck says that somewhere on the first page we see the word "Gophers".

In the ECAC, RPI isn't really losing too much. Sure, Bailen's graduated, but the rest of the team looks pretty solid, and we only graduated 5 players. I suspect that Dartmouth will also be a team to beat, as Walsh and Keenan are all they're really going to be missing. Yale and Union are probably the biggest question marks in my mind. Quinnipiac is going to be slightly rebuilding (although Jones-Jones-Peca is still intact, I don't know if they're going to have the same power as before).

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      A buck says that somewhere on the first page we see the word "Gophers".

In the ECAC, RPI isn't really losing too much. Sure, Bailen's graduated, but the rest of the team looks pretty solid, and we only graduated 5 players. I suspect that Dartmouth will also be a team to beat, as Walsh and Keenan are all they're really going to be missing. Yale and Union are probably the biggest question marks in my mind. Quinnipiac is going to be slightly rebuilding (although Jones-Jones-Peca is still intact, I don't know if they're going to have the same power as before).
      Talk about a sucker bet - you already said it!

Comment

- Yale has a strong core back, especially on defense, and a very good recruiting class. Biggest question is in goal where they lose 2 seniors, but have a very good recruit from the USHL coming in (Alex Lyon). If goaltending comes together will be the team to beat in ECAC.
        - Quinnipiac loses 4 senior defenseman and an All-American goalie. They also lose some depth up front but have a terrific recruiting class coming in. Backup goalie Mike Garteig was very good in juniors and should fill the void in net. Will likely have more offense, but the blueline will be green.
        - Union is similar to Qpac, loses 3 D-men and starting goalie. Recruiting class looks good. Big question is if Colin Stevens can replace Troy Grosenick in goal.
        - RPI may have the most depth at all positions coming back and a couple good recruits.
        - Dartmouth & Colgate have a lot of depth coming back too.
        - Cornell way underperformed last season, has a very good nucleus returning and could be in line for a big bounce back season. Another potential surprise could be St. Lawrence who have 3 senior D-men and a good goalie returning, big question is if stud forward Greg Carey returns.
        UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Originally posted by ADK11 View Post
          - Yale has a strong core back, especially on defense, and a very good recruiting class. Biggest question is in goal where they lose 2 seniors, but have a very good recruit from the USHL coming in (Alex Lyon). If goaltending comes together will be the team to beat in ECAC.
          - Quinnipiac loses 4 senior defenseman and an All-American goalie. They also lose some depth up front but have a terrific recruiting class coming in. Backup goalie Mike Garteig was very good in juniors and should fill the void in net. Will likely have more offense, but the blueline will be green.
          - Union is similar to Qpac, loses 3 D-men and starting goalie. Recruiting class looks good. Big question is if Colin Stevens can replace Troy Grosenick in goal.
          - RPI may have the most depth at all positions coming back and a couple good recruits.
          - Cornell way underperformed last season, has a very good nucleus returning and could be in line for a big bounce back season. Another potential surprise could be St. Lawrence who have 3 senior D-men and a good goalie returning, big question is if stud forward Greg Carey returns.
          I see a big question mark with SLU not because of Carey, but because of Flanagan. As we both found out first hand, as much as those two players were good, they were good because of complementing play. Granted, I'm not going to look TOO far into it and write them off over the fact that they had a week to prepare.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
            I see a big question mark with SLU not because of Carey, but because of Flanagan. As we both found out first hand, as much as those two players were good, they were good because of complementing play. Granted, I'm not going to look TOO far into it and write them off over the fact that they had a week to prepare.
            Oh, I don't disagree with this at all. They lost 2 of the best players in college hockey last season in Flanagan and Hughes, and everything will have to come together for SLU to improve on last season. Just saying that they do have quite a few of the pieces in place and a pretty good recruiting class, so they could make the jump.
            UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Originally posted by ADK11 View Post
              - Quinnipiac loses 4 senior defenseman and an All-American goalie. They also lose some depth up front but have a terrific recruiting class coming in. Backup goalie Mike Garteig was very good in juniors and should fill the void in net. Will likely have more offense, but the blueline will be green.- Union is similar to Qpac, loses 3 D-men and starting goalie. Recruiting class looks good. Big question is if Colin Stevens can replace Troy Grosenick in goal.
              They return Zach Tolkinen and Dan Federico as starters. Alex Barron played 28 games this past season but not in a starting role bumps up to the lineup. That gives them 3 veteran guys back there. Add in 6'6 230 Tom Hilbrich who didn't play a freshman in there along with USDT recruit Connor Clifton. They may not have the experience of this past year but they will still be pretty talented.
              QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
              2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
              2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
              2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
              https://***********/QHockeyBlog
              https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
              https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

BC

*Large Gaping Abyss*

Everyone else.

Next question.
                It Happened!!!!

Comment

Yale, Quin, RPI....Geez, the ECAC finally wins another NCAA title, and it seems that's all anyone wants to talk about.
                  BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
                    Yale, Quin, RPI....Geez, the ECAC finally wins another NCAA title, and it seems that's all anyone wants to talk about.
                    Be quicker to the keyboard. I'm not going to talk aboot the other leagues, since that's not my expertise. I just covered my bases for when JF strolls in here.

Comment

I don't see any teams that are elite....

Who looks the strongest on paper?

Lowell, Miami, Wisconsin and Notre Dame

Other NCAA candidates
                      St. Cloud
                      Mankato State
                      BC
                      UNH
                      Providence
                      Cornell
                      Minnesota
                      NoDak
                      Michigan
                      Niagara
                      There should be lots of bubble teams too. Will be interesting to see how the PWR dynamic changes with the BIG, WCHA and NaCHO.

Comment

Notre Dame, BC, Wisconsin are about five miles better than anyone heading into next season.

After that, throw in Miami, PC, North Dakota and maybe Michigan if the young players respond. Brown is a tourney team next year.
                        Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
                          Notre Dame, BC, Wisconsin are about five miles better than anyone heading into next season.

After that, throw in Miami, PC, North Dakota and maybe Michigan if the young players respond. Brown is a tourney team next year.
                          I don't know if I'd go so far as to say tourney team. I'll give you that they aren't losing much, though.

Comment

BC returns a handful of very good players, including Gaudreau, Arnold and a couple 1st round NHL draft picks in Hayes and Matheson but they aren't returning a ton of top end talent like usual, thanks to some recent subpar recruiting classes. That said, they bring in 5 or 6 real stud recruits that should be able to contribute from the get go. I could see a slow start but they should be a formidable opponent come tourney time.
                            Last edited by carltonbarrett; 05-01-2013, 06:18 PM.

Comment

This will be an interesting season for Gopher hockey. They lost a lot of talent to the NHL (Bjugstad, Budish, Schmidt, Haula, and Alt), but are returning some key contributors who will be upperclassmen (Rau, Condon, Warning, Marshall) and are bringing in arguably one of the most talented draft classes in my lifetime. I think they will be inconsistent early, but should be an exciting team to watch. Just hoping they don't dig themselves too big of a hole early. If the young guys can come out flying, this team could be a contender. The difficult thing is the Big Ten will be playing their OOC games early, so a slow start could have a big effect on their Pairwise standing. They may need to lean on Wilcox early in the season.
                              Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 05-01-2013, 06:51 PM.
                              @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                              On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                              High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Working...
                              X