PDA

View Full Version : Brown Hockey 2013-2014 - Climbing to the Top of the ECAC Ladder

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33

claver2010
03-06-2014, 10:02 AM
Find me another program that has lost its best three recruits in a span of two years.

Also, who in the world can get into BC but not UNH? That's about as silly of a scenario as I've ever heard. That's like getting into Providence but not URI...

Not a recruiting weirdo, but I know NU lost Gaudreau & Gillies in the span of what less than a year?

Mike Hutter
03-06-2014, 12:32 PM
Lorito out 6-8 weeks (OK, rest of the season most likely) with broken leg. Tough break for y'all.

When did this happen?

Nick Papagiorgio
03-06-2014, 12:55 PM
I believe we will have several runs at the national tournament and a chance to do some damage.

I sure hope so and I think it'd be great to see. Brown hasn't been in the picture at all since I've followed college hockey, and almost everyone in the ECAC has had a turn in that timeframe.

kdiff77
03-06-2014, 02:53 PM
Not a recruiting weirdo, but I know NU lost Gaudreau & Gillies in the span of what less than a year?

True! At least they were able to replace Gaudreau with a comparable or slightly lesser but still elite talent.

kdiff77
03-06-2014, 03:01 PM
I sure hope so and I think it'd be great to see. Brown hasn't been in the picture at all since I've followed college hockey, and almost everyone in the ECAC has had a turn in that timeframe.

Yeah, we're getting real sick of being left in the dust around here. Haven't been to the tournament in 21 years, and it looks like another year of going home early. I'd love to see Brown and BC meet again sometime when it actually matters. We'd probably get killed, but at least we'd be there! :)

Humanoid
03-06-2014, 03:53 PM
A word on Brown as an Ivy and the women's hockey debate --

I've said it a few times that the women's game int he United States has grown considerably, but the different parts of the game are no different. There are a substantial amount of college hockey programs now whereas the selection pool for Tara Mounseys and Katie Kings were substantially smaller. Back in the early 2000s, there were 4 bids to the national tournament - the ECAC Champion and the WCHA champion - with 2 at large bids. Over the years, the number of teams have grown, which in turn is opening up more opportunity. So to the extent that people are arguing that the women's game is better, they would be correct based off of this point.

But there is a truth that the pool of development in the US and Canada has plateaued. Unfortunately, since the rest of the world hasn't caught up, the women's game itself isn't developing nearly as fast or as efficiently as it could. Since the US and Canada are so far ahead of everyone else, the number of elite players remains plateau'd. if there are only so many elite spots on the USA and Canadian national teams, the number of players coming out of the NCAA programs considered elite simply remain the same. The fact that Brown has been brutal the last decade or so - we originally blamed that on people like Digit Murphy, but the fact remains that the number of elite schools get the elite athletes. If you're an elite women's hockey player, you have essentially 4 or 5 destinations right now - Minnesota, Boston College, Cornell, and places like that. Brown has been replaced at the top of the food chain by the arrival of the "traditional hockey powers" in the NCAA ranks.

As the talent pool got diluted, the number of average players underneath the elites remain the same in proportion. So while the games themselves become more competitive, it's only because they're filling the ranks with a larger number of players who are all the same. The number of elite teams remain the same, the number of average teams grew. And therefore, the bad teams simply got worse.

Until the other nations can develop women's hockey and teams like Brown can find a way to get those players into their schools, it's unlikely that we'll see a run that'll break the dominance of schools like BC and Minnesota.

Humanoid
03-06-2014, 03:59 PM
Yeah, we're getting real sick of being left in the dust around here. Haven't been to the tournament in 21 years, and it looks like another year of going home early. I'd love to see Brown and BC meet again sometime when it actually matters. We'd probably get killed, but at least we'd be there! :)

We're not being left in the dust. If you look back over the last few years, you'd see that Brown, indeed, has been relevant. Bruno, despite maybe not winning games in the regular season as frequently as others, has shown an ability to compete on the national level. They pounded BU a couple of years ago, hung witH BC this year, and defeated the national runner up last year badly in the conference semifinals. Brown nearly won the league last year and has been to the conference final four in a league that with the exception of Hockey East is one of the better, improving, most competitive leagues out there (especially since the CCHA and WCHA collapsed). They've been to Albany and Atlantic City. They've knocked off top seeds along the way.

You could look at other programs who have never been competitive, or you can look at HOW Brown is competitive. We're not being left in the dust. No offense - but pandering to other schools' fans in order to be agreeable and well liked isn't the way to do this. I don't disagree that Brown has work left to do, but the days of being left in the dust as a 5-20 team are so 2008.

The pressure is on to continue to improve and to get back to the high level. Being the 9 seed in a year when the league has three very good to elite teams is nothing to shake a stick at. Being the 12 seed? That's a different story.

kdiff77
03-06-2014, 05:09 PM
We're not being left in the dust. If you look back over the last few years, you'd see that Brown, indeed, has been relevant. Bruno, despite maybe not winning games in the regular season as frequently as others, has shown an ability to compete on the national level. They pounded BU a couple of years ago, hung witH BC this year, and defeated the national runner up last year badly in the conference semifinals. Brown nearly won the league last year and has been to the conference final four in a league that with the exception of Hockey East is one of the better, improving, most competitive leagues out there (especially since the CCHA and WCHA collapsed). They've been to Albany and Atlantic City. They've knocked off top seeds along the way.

You could look at other programs who have never been competitive, or you can look at HOW Brown is competitive. We're not being left in the dust. No offense - but pandering to other schools' fans in order to be agreeable and well liked isn't the way to do this. I don't disagree that Brown has work left to do, but the days of being left in the dust as a 5-20 team are so 2008.

The pressure is on to continue to improve and to get back to the high level. Being the 9 seed in a year when the league has three very good to elite teams is nothing to shake a stick at. Being the 12 seed? That's a different story.

I think you misinterpreted my "being left in the dust statement." My point was that we are (if I am correct) the only team in the league not to make the NCAAs in the past 10-15 years. In this regard, we've been left behind.

We have beaten to death the subject of Brown's increased competitiveness over the past few years. It's great. But we haven't reached the goal yet, and therefore, we're behind the pack.

kdiff77
03-06-2014, 05:12 PM
Another thing, Humanoid: 9th place is not acceptable, given the position we were in two months ago. You and I actually had a discussion about competing for a bye, and what that would take. And now we aren't even at home in the first round? That's a disappointment.

hockeyplayer1015
03-06-2014, 08:11 PM
When did this happen?

Union game Saturday. Saw it on twitter.

Mike Hutter
03-07-2014, 12:08 AM
Even with Lorito out, I picked Brown to win the series 2-1. The last two times Brown went to the ECAC Final Four there were some outstanding performances by individuals who really put out a incredible efforts on the ice to get Brown there in the playoffs. I start with Pietrus, McGonigle, and then Hathaway, Goldberg, and Ryan. I expect one or two from this year's team to do the same. I see Hathaway, Lappin or LaMacchia doing the same.

BTW -I think this year's team really missed the spark and energy of Jeff Ryan.

vicb
03-07-2014, 04:53 AM
You have until 7PM tonight to get your picks into the ECAC Pick The Playoffs Round 1.

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...-Playoffs-2014

Humanoid
03-07-2014, 06:31 AM
Another thing, Humanoid: 9th place is not acceptable, given the position we were in two months ago. You and I actually had a discussion about competing for a bye, and what that would take. And now we aren't even at home in the first round? That's a disappointment.

You know what, Brown lost a bunch of games after the position they were in two months ago, and that happens. You hit a cold stretch against good teams, you take a couple of bad losses, and all of a sudden a .500 season gets shot to s--t. Brown was 9-8-3 after beating Colgate. Then they ran into the following teams - Cornell, Union, RPI, Princeton, Q'pac. If Brown was who we thought they were, they'd have improved and beaten those teams, shored up a shot at the first round bye and sealed off a first home series. Instead, they did what they do - ironically had a record they would've had if they beat Princeton but instead beat Q'pac.

I look at it this way - the Brown Bears aren't who we thought they were. That doesn't make them a bad team, and it doesn't make them getting dusted. But back to the original point about the tournament - it's a funny thing, getting the tournament bid. They've been in position by making the conference final four twice, but let's look at how ECAC makes the tournament.

You have 2 bad leagues with autobids - the AHA and the nWCHA (it's not like it used to be). You have an extra bid to the Big Ten, which is MInnesota, Michigan, and everyone else. And you have Hockey East automatically getting 4 bids on the "HOckey East is the SEC of hockey" theory. That leaves a few bids for teams that are either really good and didn't win their league or weren't really good and benefitted from playing in a good league from any league. All I'm saying is that it really has to break the right way with a stat to get in, and it needs to be examined within the context of the circumstnaces of a year instead of a blanket statement.

It takes a very long time to compete at a very high level. When Princeton was going to 2 tournaments, the ECAC had a reputation of the EZAC. That's not the case anymore. The ECAC is a very good league, and that means it's harder to compete. For that reason, I don't put as much stock on that statement of "brown didn't make a tournament." Brown doesn't have the resources invested from above in athletics, not the way Harvard or Yale do. Brendan Whittet is building, but that takes time. Like we say, Brown has the Meehan Morgue. That ranks as one of the best venues to play but worst venues to play at the same time. It's harder to recruit at a place like Brown, but he's doing a good job as it is. If it takes teams a decade to build (except in some instances where it happens fast, but that's an anomaly), then Brendan Whittet's at the halfway point and has had one full recruiting cycle to get "his guys" in. He's done a great job getting the team to the point where they're not a 5-20 team year in and year out. In another five years, after being able to sell his system, he'll get better players. He's been getting players. Now he just has to keep them. That takes time. Time a lot of us don't want to invest when we're the only ones not winning big.

Mike Hutter
03-08-2014, 09:15 AM
Great effort last night. Trust coaching staff will keep the team from dwelling on the 2OT loss and they will bounce back.

Saints#1
03-08-2014, 10:00 PM
Nice effort this weekend Brown! You have nothing to hang your heads about, you played two hard fought games. Hold your heads up high, you guys will be better again next season I have a feeling :)

hockeyenthusiast
03-08-2014, 10:15 PM
True! At least they were able to replace Gaudreau with a comparable or slightly lesser but still elite talent.

Totally lesser actually. Roy could not be afforded the privilege of tying Gaudreau's shoes.

bruno
03-08-2014, 11:20 PM
The 2013-14 Brown hockey season that began so promisingly with a Liberty Hockey Invitational championship, ended abruptly this evening in Canton, NY, with a 3-2 loss to the St. Lawrence Skating Saints in a best-of-three ECAC First Round series. Finishing the campaign in the throughs of a four-game losing streak that produced a meager total of 4 Bear goals (while their opponents posted 3 tallies to win each of the four games), it is fair to say that over the course of the season the Bears’ offense was rarely able to complement the good to occasionally superior goaltending turned in by senior Marco De Filippo and freshman Tyler Steel. It is also likely that squandering an opportunity to secure home ice for this Playoff series last weekend at Meehan may well have cost the Bears a chance to advance to the ECAC Quarterfinals. Needless to say, the unexpected loss of junior forward Matt Lorito on the eve of the Playoffs hampered Bruno’s effort to vanquish St. Lawrence.

Still, the outlook for next season is reasonably bright if Brendan’s 2014 recruiting class can strengthen a defensive corps depleted by graduation as well as add firepower to the bevy of veteran forwards who will be returning. Moreover, with a full season of Division I experience, Tyler Steel should be ready to improve on his goaltending stats (2.67 goals against average; .911 save percentage) and provide a solid presence in net.

Bottom Line: Color this season a disappointment given Bruno’s competitive position and apparent momentum in early January, but it is possible to anticipate that a stronger overall team will gather in October for another run at the elusive ECAC title. Stay tuned.

Got 6, Want More
03-08-2014, 11:28 PM
The 2013-14 Brown hockey season that began so promisingly with a Liberty Hockey Invitational championship, ended abruptly this evening in Canton, NY, with a 3-2 loss to the St. Lawrence Skating Saints in a best-of-three ECAC First Round series. Finishing the campaign in the throughs of a four-game losing streak that produced a meager total of 4 Bear goals (while their opponents posted 3 tallies to win each of the four games), it is fair to say that over the course of the season the Bears’ offense was rarely able to complement the good to occasionally superior goaltending turned in by senior Marco De Filippo and freshman Tyler Steel. It is also likely that squandering an opportunity to secure home ice for this Playoff series last weekend at Meehan may well have cost the Bears a chance to advance to the ECAC Quarterfinals. Needless to say, the unexpected loss of junior forward Matt Lorito on the eve of the Playoffs hampered Bruno’s effort to vanquish St. Lawrence.

Still, the outlook for next season is reasonably bright if Brendan’s 2014 recruiting class can strengthen a defensive corps depleted by graduation as well as add firepower to the bevy of veteran forwards who will be returning. Moreover, with a full season of Division I experience, Tyler Steel should be ready to improve on his goaltending stats (2.67 goals against average; .911 save percentage) and provide a solid presence in net.

Bottom Line: Color this season a disappointment given Bruno’s competitive position and apparent momentum in early January, but it is possible to anticipate that a stronger overall team will gather in October for another run at the elusive ECAC title. Stay tuned.

****! Steel is only a freshmen?? He was very good this weekend!! As were Naclerio, Robertson, Goldberg and Lappin. I am glad we ended it in two because Brown is a tough team to put away. Stingy defense and opportunistic offense.

Saints#1
03-08-2014, 11:32 PM
****! Steel is only a freshmen?? He was very good this weekend!! As were Naclerio, Robertson, Goldberg and Lappin. I am glad we ended it in two because Brown is a tough team to put away. Stingy defense and opportunistic offense.

Brown always manages to get a hot goalie or two, season in and season out. Or maybe it's just SLU's luck against Brown. In any event, I think Brown will be a very tough opponent next year and beyond.

Dutchman
03-09-2014, 09:30 AM
Brown has been a feared and respected opponent to all us Union fans over the past decade. The Bears have alwasy been very tough and tenacious and have alwasy played relentless, hard hitting, clean hockey. It is a well deserved reputation for integrity. I know that the Brown faithful have got to feel dissapointed but they should also be proud of the way Brown played this year against some of the very best in college hockey. I hope the Brown fans stay with the sport and cheer on any and all of the ECAC teams that may represent the conference in the NCAA tournament. The ECAC has become more competitive and that is a credit to Brown hockey.