PDA

View Full Version : Brown Hockey 2013-2014 - Climbing to the Top of the ECAC Ladder

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

Hope Street
02-06-2014, 08:59 PM
@MarkDivver tweeted that Bears have only 5 healthy defensemen going into Friday. Pfeil, Quick, de Consilys hurt and won't play. Hourihan practicing on D.

De Filippo and Doane also out for weekend with injuries.

Mike Hutter
02-06-2014, 11:23 PM
@MarkDivver tweeted that Bears have only 5 healthy defensemen going into Friday. Pfeil, Quick, de Consilys hurt and won't play. Hourihan practicing on D..

Robertson and Goldberg to the rescue.. I expect Wood to step up his play as well.

kdiff77
02-06-2014, 11:25 PM
Having Lamacchia back will be big. He had really elevated his play before the Clarkson incident.

rdf8585
02-07-2014, 04:08 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23BrownHockey&amp;src=hash">#BrownHockey</a> lines tonight vs <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23UnionHockey&amp;src=hash">#UnionHockey</a> - <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23ECACHockey&amp;src=hash">#ECACHockey</a> <a href="http://t.co/a0LRg9DHDj">pic.twitter.com/a0LRg9DHDj</a></p>&mdash; Union Hockey Blog (@UnionHockeyBlog) <a href="https://twitter.com/UnionHockeyBlog/statuses/431897207860518912">February 7, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

kdiff77
02-07-2014, 08:07 PM
Steel just stacked the pads old school-style on a 3-on-1!

I'm starting to really like this kid.

Mike Hutter
02-07-2014, 11:25 PM
Steel just stacked the pads old school-style on a 3-on-1!

I'm starting to really like this kid.

I do too but the winning goal was a killer. He gave the Union player an opening and he took advantage of it.

Tough loss.

kdiff77
02-08-2014, 01:08 AM
I do too but the winning goal was a killer. He gave the Union player an opening and he took advantage of it.

Tough loss.

Yup. That was a real softie.

Too bad. I thought we were the better team and deserved the points.

rdf8585
02-08-2014, 02:51 AM
Recap of Brown's 4-3 loss at Union... included are postgame videos with Brendan Whittet, Union's Max Novak (GWG), Mat Bodie and acting head coach Joe Dumais:

http://bit.ly/1lafR8O

Onion Man
02-08-2014, 09:05 AM
I'm glad Brown is at the point where you can say they SHOULD have won a game vs a good opponent on the road. Playoffs could be fun

Mike Hutter
02-08-2014, 09:45 AM
Story in today's Times-Union on last night's game. Note Novak who has been a Brown killer was recruited by Bruno but was not admitted:

http://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/Novak-continues-to-make-Bears-pay-5215920.php

Just reporting, and drawing no inferences.

Mike Hutter
02-08-2014, 09:53 AM
Recap of Brown's 4-3 loss at Union... included are postgame videos with Brendan Whittet, Union's Max Novak (GWG), Mat Bodie and acting head coach Joe Dumais:

http://bit.ly/1lafR8O

an excellent recap of the game as well. But from where I was sitting, right behind Novak as he was shooting, Steele did not hug the post giving Novak the opening as small as it was and Novak is too good a shooter to not take advantage of it. Having said that Steele played an excellent game overall.

kdiff77
02-09-2014, 01:55 PM
We're in bad shape. We need to win at least 3 of the next 4. We have Princeton and QU at home and then Harvard and Dartmouth on the road. The only forgivable loss would be QU. But at this stage, you can't really afford to lose to anyone at home, regardless of the quality of the opponent.

The team once again outplayed a better opponent on Friday, but failed to capitalize. RPI was just a huge letdown.

We get Pfeil back next weekend, and that will be huge. But the offense needs to start scoring more. The defense hasn't proven itself capable of allowing less than three goals per game.

BrunoFan00
02-09-2014, 02:14 PM
We're in bad shape. We need to win at least 3 of the next 4. We have Princeton and QU at home and then Harvard and Dartmouth on the road. The only forgivable loss would be QU. But at this stage, you can't really afford to lose to anyone at home, regardless of the quality of the opponent.

The team once again outplayed a better opponent on Friday, but failed to capitalize. RPI was just a huge letdown.

We get Pfeil back next weekend, and that will be huge. But the offense needs to start scoring more. The defense hasn't proven itself capable of allowing less than three goals per game.

Agreed. The margin of error in this league is paper thin. Truthfully, it's a deep ECAC, where, in my opinion, any of the top eight (including RPI, who has been very inconsistent) is capable of winning the league. I'm not sold on Clarkson, but they win games. And I'm not sold on Yale, either, but they have certainly proven that they are capable of winning when it matters, so my conjecture isn't worth much when it comes to the Eli.

For Brown, however, the problem will be slipping to ninth - and ending up on the road at SLU or, worse, RPI. Next week absolutely has to be a win against Princeton, because I don't see Brown having much success against Quinnipiac. Granted, I'm basing that on my experience at the game in Hamden in November, but either way that's not a good matchup for Brown.

I'm going to try and gather some more coherent thoughts about the weekend before Friday and Saturday, but I'm not holding my breath. As I said a couple weeks ago, this team went from "winners of 6 of seven" to now having "lost 4 of the last 5." Big difference.

Mike Hutter
02-09-2014, 03:49 PM

Yes, I too believe we need to get 3 of 4 wins over the next two weeks. But I don't think we are in bad shape, or at least really bad shape. All that the RPI loss showed to me is that you can't play 2 road games with 4 d-men. Brendan did a great job in giving Robertson, Goldberg, Wood and Wahl some breathers with Rossi and Hourihan but missing Pfeil and Deconcylis is too much of a loss.

Breakdowns really hurt Brown at RPI and RPI is a team that you can't make a mistake with. But I look forward to the return trip by U and RPI to Meehan. With a full squad I believe Brown can beat them.

I would add that overall Rossi showed some promise over the weekend. Pryzbek was outstanding. Euler had said awhile ago to watch him. he was fearless in the corners and his goal Friday night was a good one. If his play continues like that, he can make up for the drop in production from Hathaway and Jacobson.

In the third, Brendan put back together naclerio, Lappin and Lorito. I am wondering if he will stay with them at least through next weekend.

kdiff77
02-09-2014, 04:15 PM
Yes, I too believe we need to get 3 of 4 wins over the next two weeks. But I don't think we are in bad shape, or at least really bad shape. All that the RPI loss showed to me is that you can't play 2 road games with 4 d-men. Brendan did a great job in giving Robertson, Goldberg, Wood and Wahl some breathers with Rossi and Hourihan but missing Pfeil and Deconcylis is too much of a loss.

Perhaps we were spoiled by last year's team, which rallied in the face of adversity and refused to quit. But because of that, this team should have experience playing without key defensemen. I'm not really sure why they haven't stepped up and fought back yet, like they did last year.

Of course, it would be a whole different story if that goal hadn't been disallowed against Cornell and if we had tied the game at Union on Friday during the late power play. But we didn't. So it's very frustrating. Instead of being 2-3-2 in our last seven against a group of very tough, talented teams, we're 2-5 (five of the six were ranked, and we played Yale twice).

We certainly lucked out getting Princeton, Harvard, and Dartmouth at this stage of the season. However, they are by no means going to be easy wins. We all know how bad we've been against Dartmouth, and Harvard is always a grudge match. Princeton should be the easiest of the three, but the team can't get caught looking ahead to Quinnipiac.

Brown09
02-11-2014, 08:48 AM
Interesting (and accurate) story from the Brown Daily Herald:

http://www.browndailyherald.com/2014/02/10/breaking-bruno-mens-hockey-worst-enemy/

kdiff77
02-11-2014, 11:26 AM
Interesting (and accurate) story from the Brown Daily Herald:

http://www.browndailyherald.com/2014/02/10/breaking-bruno-mens-hockey-worst-enemy/

After reading the point about excelling vs. top ten teams, I did some quick math. We are 6-1-1 against unranked teams, with the only loss coming on Saturday at RPI. However, against teams who are or have been ranked, we are 3-10-2. Yes, we play a tough schedule, but that's simply not good enough. We had BC and Denver by the throat and didn't pull it off. We had Cornell desperately defending for the entire third period, and we couldn't get the puck to the net. We had Union in a tie game in which we had controlled the flow of play, and we gave up a soft goal early in the third that won it for them.

This team needs the killer instinct. If you can score, score. Don't try to be flashy (AHEM, Matt Lorito) and dance around with the puck. It's time to bring back the strategy that got us to the championship last year- throw the puck on net and send two guys to crash it.

bruno
02-11-2014, 11:43 AM
It's time to bring back the strategy that got us to the championship last year - throw the puck on net and send two guys to crash it.

I could not agree more.

Kepler
02-11-2014, 12:03 PM
Don't try to be flashy (AHEM, Matt Lorito) and dance around with the puck. It's time to bring back the strategy that got us to the championship last year- throw the puck on net and send two guys to crash it.

I'd leave Lorito alone -- he was terrifying against us and I think he singlehandedly had us wrong-footed for much of the night. I don't even think Brown's strategy against us was off -- they were just incredibly unlucky, which will happen once in a blue moon. From a very SSS (just 2 games) I'd say Brown is right up there with the rest of the big second-tier cluster in the ECAC (Colgate, Cornell, Clarkson, Yale). Somebody out of that group is going to finish 7th and get stuck playing at Q or U. The trick is to avoid that and then you've got a great shot at Placid.

kdiff77
02-11-2014, 02:25 PM
I'd leave Lorito alone -- he was terrifying against us and I think he singlehandedly had us wrong-footed for much of the night. I don't even think Brown's strategy against us was off -- they were just incredibly unlucky, which will happen once in a blue moon. From a very SSS (just 2 games) I'd say Brown is right up there with the rest of the big second-tier cluster in the ECAC (Colgate, Cornell, Clarkson, Yale). Somebody out of that group is going to finish 7th and get stuck playing at Q or U. The trick is to avoid that and then you've got a great shot at Placid.

The reason I pick on Lorito is that in the past, he's been much less selfish in terms of distributing the puck and making plays. Maybe teams just figured out how to defend him, but it's been frustrating watching him skate around the entire offensive zone and then turn the puck over.

I think against Cornell, we should have utilized our big guys more often. Iles left some juicy rebounds on the table, but Naclerio, Lappin, and Lorito were unable to outmuscle the big CU defenders to get to them. Hathaway, Hourihan, and Pryzbek could have done some real damage if they had played a little more.

I also believe we're in that second tier of teams. The results just don't show it recently. We've fallen behind Yale and RPI now, and you're right- we don't want to get stuck playing at QU or Union. That's the worst case scenario.