PDA

View Full Version : Brown Hockey 2013-2014 - Climbing to the Top of the ECAC Ladder

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

Onion Man
01-11-2014, 09:04 AM
Most anticipated game at Meehan in years? I would say. Dilemma for me: Hockey game or take free Patriots ticket and sit inside the 'red seat' area. I've got two hours to decide

BrunoFan00
01-11-2014, 10:54 AM
Most anticipated game at Meehan in years? I would say. Dilemma for me: Hockey game or take free Patriots ticket and sit inside the 'red seat' area. I've got two hours to decide

No question. I recall sellout in 2003 and 2004, and great crowds for playoffs those years too. What's great about this is that it is a true sellout- the students aren't on campus. I'm hoping for energy in the building and a good performance. BC is rolling right now, and their top line is +40 since being put together early December.

I was at the last BC-Brown game on New Year's 2000. Jeff Lawler broke his ankle and the bears went on to lose 6-2. The rest of the season was a disaster. Hoping tonight is far, far different than that- first visit by BC to Meehan since December 1984.

BC put a hurt on Providence last night.

I had an opportunity for Pats tonight - thought maybe I could leave Providence by 7, drive up and run to the stadium and maybe make it, but decided watching from the confines of my dry home is a better call.

Looking forward to tonight!

kdiff77
01-11-2014, 11:38 AM
Actually, BrunoFan00, BC came to Meehan in 1997 with a young freshman named Brian Gionta on the roster. They won, 6-3.

But yes- this is the biggest home game in years. I can barely even remember what Meehan looks like when it's packed, so this should be fun.

And I hope the team backs up Onion Man's bravado (check the BC and PC threads). An upset over a top 5 team at home would be an incredible way to head into conference play.

kdiff77
01-11-2014, 11:39 AM
Also, OM- personally, I'd go to the hockey game and then haul *** up to Foxboro. The game will end at 7-7:15, and it's a 20 minute ride to Gillette if you speed (though there will be traffic). You could be sitting in your seat by a couple minutes past 8, and we all know an 8 o'clock kickoff really means 8:15.

Shoot for the sky! Attend both!

steven22
01-11-2014, 11:40 AM

Got to both, the hockey game will be decided after 20 minutes.

Carmine Scarpaglia
01-11-2014, 12:31 PM
I was at the last BC-Brown game on New Year's 2000. Jeff Lawler broke his ankle and the bears went on to lose 6-2!

That was during a stretch with Gionta Farkas Bellefeuille on one line I believe... If not all situations then def on the PP. That is really just unfair. Brown goalie (Stirling?) stood on his head too.

BrunoFan00
01-11-2014, 01:48 PM
That was during a stretch with Gionta Farkas Bellefeuille on one line I believe... If not all situations then def on the PP. That is really just unfair. Brown goalie (Stirling?) stood on his head too.

I remember the 97 game, vaguely. Though I have to admit I spent that game in, ahem, a different state, being an undergrad and all!

kdiff77
01-11-2014, 07:31 PM
I can't believe I'm saying it after a tie with #5 in the country, but I'm a little disappointed. The Lorito-Naclerio-Lappin line didn't do very much and we couldn't hold the lead twice.

Still, if you had told me last year when this game was announced that we'd tie Boston College, I'd take it any day of the week. Very good effort by a number of players tonight.

And Steel was outstanding. He must have robbed three or four goals. Sorry, Marco, but he's the starter from here on out.

Carmine Scarpaglia
01-11-2014, 07:40 PM
Brown wow you guys were fantastic tonight. Very happy to get out with a tie. Brown outplayed BC IMO and had BC on the run all night. Tenacious with very few mistakes. Good gameplan. A lot of props to coaching staff for that.

J.D.
01-11-2014, 08:36 PM
might not have shown on the scoresheet but i thought your PP looked pretty good.

didnt know what to expect in regard to meehan, but nice little barn. i really like the setup of it. good atmosphere and ended up being a really good game.

kdiff77
01-11-2014, 08:46 PM
Well this is interesting:

@MarkDivver: Brown says tonight's game at Meehan Auditorium was a sellout: 2,165. All seats were sold, plus 100 standing-room tickets.

And here everyone thought the place seated 2,495. Divver followed up by saying that number has been incorrect all these years, and that when the seats were actually counted, this is what they came up with.

kdiff77
01-11-2014, 08:48 PM
might not have shown on the scoresheet but i thought your PP looked pretty good.

didnt know what to expect in regard to meehan, but nice little barn. i really like the setup of it. good atmosphere and ended up being a really good game.

Thanks! Meehan isn't flashy or modern, but it's home. And the sight lines are great, unlike across town at Schneider, despite its new beautiful facade.

FiveHole12
01-11-2014, 10:39 PM
Great game tonight Brown. Can't imagine you guys in the ECAC middle of the pack. Bring that game every night and you'll move up in the standings in a hurry. Your goalie had a horseshoe up his arse, but that's a good thing, so tell him to leave it there. ;) :D

Mike Hutter
01-11-2014, 11:06 PM
Brown wow you guys were fantastic tonight. Very happy to get out with a tie. Brown outplayed BC IMO and had BC on the run all night. Tenacious with very few mistakes. Good gameplan. A lot of props to coaching staff for that.

I agree with your observation that Brown outplayed BC. Brown should have won. First period several opportunities for a score on superb passing and a then a booming shot from that clanged off the post - didn't catch the shooter. But BC is dangerous. Every mistake Brown made BC capitalized. The second goal was especially a tough one to giveup, but then Lamacchia comes back shortly with the wraparound. Third BC goal looked like a deflection.

Onion Man
01-12-2014, 09:44 AM
If Brown can ply like they did and hang with the big boys, it's going to be a fun ride this winter. Brown definitely left a few goals on the ice in the first but was kind of lucky to survive the third. The BC goalie looked terrible at times I thought. Brown just needs to bottle that effort and play like this more regularly. Steel was outstanding

sshablak
01-12-2014, 10:30 AM
Way to go Bruno...ECAC is strong !!

Mike Hutter
01-12-2014, 04:12 PM
Way to go Bruno...ECAC is strong !!

Colgate and Brown in ECAC Finals!!

Mike Hutter
01-12-2014, 04:15 PM
Getting away from the BC game for a minute, we talk a lot about Volpatti and Harry Z in the pros. We should talk more about Ryan Garbutt. I finally had a chance to see him play when I watched the Rangers/Dallas game Friday night. He was terrific and the announcers kept on talking about him. Just like Aaron and Harry, once they got away from Grillo's "system", they all have flourished.

kdiff77
01-12-2014, 04:19 PM
Getting away from the BC game for a minute, we talk a lot about Volpatti and Harry Z in the pros. We should talk more about Ryan Garbutt. I finally had a chance to see him play when I watched the Rangers/Dallas game Friday night. He was terrific and the announcers kept on talking about him. Just like Aaron and Harry, once they got away from Grillo's "system", they all have flourished.

I watched that game as well and I totally agree. Garbutt's whole line was actually really impressive. They were by far the best Dallas had on Friday.

I've always thought that Grillo did a good job recruiting talented players, but was just horrendous at developing that talent. Harry and Volpatti were infinitely better after Grillo left.

academic_index
01-13-2014, 05:11 PM
Watched the BC game today at my leisure on the ILDN in high-def. We passed the puck well. The tie was a condign result.

Ostensibly a sell-out, and perhaps actually, too, at the box office. But the north-side seats near the ice (the only seats on camera) were half empty.

Lots of commentary during the broadcast about Brown-BC history pre-Hockey East. In the 1960s I used to drive up there with my classmates for away games. In one Brown win (1968?), Curt Bennett scored a Gordie Howe goal in the crease. Bennett was an immovable object.

I saw a "Wheeler School" advertisement on the boards. Used to be Mary C. Wheeler School. And who are "Alex and Ani" in the ice-surface ad?

Again, Rubin's announcing is good, although in his excitement he yanks the wires loose and the screen goes black (repeatedly). As for Rubin's Rhode Island-accented sidekick -- let's just say he thinks "corps" -- as in defensive corps -- is pronounced "corpse" as in embalmed corpse. He's used that pronunciation repeatedly this season, so it's not jocular.

Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles.