Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do Hockey East refs encourage players to dive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do Hockey East refs encourage players to dive?

Several years ago in an effort to stop players from embellishing college hockey added a
    rule to penalize players from this practice. But somewhere along the way Hockey East
    refs(maybe all refs I only call what I see) made the rule actually increase the practice.

Here is the problem......

There are 3 things that can result from a player when he tries to flop, dive etc.

1. The refs call a penalty on the other team(dive successfull)
    2. The refs call matching calls on both players ex. hook and a dive(dive a draw)
    3. The refs call a dive only (dive unsuccesfull)

The problem as I have observed over the last few years is the HE Refs only call #1 & #2 and
    never #3. The refs mostly take the cop-out call #2 which usually angers both teams and solves
    nothing.

If you are a player and the only 2 results of a dive are you getting a powerplay or the ref calling
    a matching why would you not want to dive? You wouldnt because the WORST you get out of the
    deal is a draw. It s NO LOSE GAMBLE!!!

I watched over 40 college games this year and only saw 1 dive only call. HE needs
    to make the refs make a dive only call for the rule to have any power.
    New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Re: Why do Hockey East refs encourage players to dive?

Originally posted by Cat lover View Post
    Several years ago in an effort to stop players from embellishing college hockey added a
    rule to penalize players from this practice. But somewhere along the way Hockey East
    refs(maybe all refs I only call what I see) made the rule actually increase the practice.

Here is the problem......

There are 3 things that can result from a player when he tries to flop, dive etc.

1. The refs call a penalty on the other team(dive successfull)
    2. The refs call matching calls on both players ex. hook and a dive(dive a draw)
    3. The refs call a dive only (dive unsuccesfull)

The problem as I have observed over the last few years is the HE Refs only call #1 & #2 and
    never #3. The refs mostly take the cop-out call #2 which usually angers both teams and solves
    nothing.

If you are a player and the only 2 results of a dive are you getting a powerplay or the ref calling
    a matching why would you not want to dive? You wouldnt because the WORST you get out of the
    deal is a draw. It s NO LOSE GAMBLE!!!

I watched over 40 college games this year and only saw 1 dive only call. HE needs
    to make the refs make a dive only call for the rule to have any power.
    1. Diving has always been a rule; it was merely a point of emphasis a few years ago.
    2. It's not limited to Hockey East refs.
    3. Watch a neutral live-action game and see if you can spot all the dives real-time without replay.

Comment

I agree with flag dude. I think that dives are some times hard to see as some of these kids are not all that stable on their skates. Easier to call dives in the NHL. But, still nothing compared to the diving in soccer, which is easy to recognize. But, great off-season thread topic!

Comment

????

Y'all got Mookie!!
        I thought this was the bu offseason thread
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

As with case #3 I am willing to allow cases where it could be #2 but the flopping was eregious enough to be a bigger infraction than the original penalty. A bit subjective, but nevertheless... a light tug relating in a massive non-physics supported spill should mean the dive takes precedence.
          BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
          Skating Friar Jersey
          AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
          UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
          Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Because they misunderstood what there wived meant when they said they wanted more diving?
            Expectation has the encumberance of truth while hope lives its own life, wild and free.

Comment

The joke in the fWCHA was that the refs only called splashing. If the dive was clean with no splashing on the refs, they would call #1 or #2. Only when they got splashed on they ever call #3.

Comment

I'm pretty sure BU had multiple stand alone diving/embellishment calls go against them.

Comment

Because Jack Parker paid them* to?

*before this season

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                  The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

I've never understood the matching penalties. If it was a hook, it's not diving. If it's diving, there is no hook.
                    bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                    SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                    All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                    A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                      I've never understood the matching penalties. If it was a hook, it's not diving. If it's diving, there is no hook.
                      If you're hooked and get impeded for a step or two, then flop, it's both a hook and a dive. Hooking doesn't have to involve pulling you all the way to the ice.
                      Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
                      Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

The usual case #2 -- the matching situation -- it's more "embellishment" than it is "diving" if by diving you mean that the player goes down without any contact at all. The diver's team actually does lose out. If it weren't for the dive, they'd have a power play, so you can't really say that the dive was "successful".

Comment

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
                          If you're hooked and get impeded for a step or two, then flop, it's both a hook and a dive. Hooking doesn't have to involve pulling you all the way to the ice.
                          This. Just because you've been hooked does not mean you have license to flop on the ice like you've just been hit by a Buick.
                          FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                            That's why it usually goes onto the sheet as "unsportsmanlike conduct - embellishment".

Comment

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
                              That would be hooking, only. If there was no hook and a flop then if would be embellishment. The matching penalties, one of them being embellishment is ridiculous but I see it all the time.

Comment

Working...
                              X