PDA

View Full Version : Ohio State Buckeyes - Coach Rohlik - First Year in the Big Ten

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43

Dude Love
08-22-2013, 11:40 PM
Haha, yeah, we've never heard the "Buckeye leaves look like weed" joke. You guys need to come up with new material. :D

I thought the Buckeye was some sort of nut. Turns out it's weed's boring cousin.

goldy_331
08-23-2013, 11:08 AM
Haha, yeah, we've never heard the "Buckeye leaves look like weed" joke. You guys need to come up with new material. :D

It's not like SCSU has a long history of playing OSU in any sport so it's his first exposure to the image and the link is obvious. Don't pick on him cause your logo looks like weed.

pgb-ohio
08-23-2013, 02:37 PM
http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog.com/big-ten/2013/8/21/4644376/ohio-state-unveils-snoop-doggs-next-hockey-jersey

Ohio State's new alternate jerseys are horrendous.Well, I suppose so, if one is easily excited. The three diagonal letters on the front are a borrowed design from a classic Team USA jersey. Unoriginal yes, horrendous, no. Nothing wrong with the sleeve stripes either. The numbers and letters are crisp and clear, which is more important than fashion considerations -- and can't be said of all jerseys currently used.

Clearly the Buckeye leaves on the hem don't work, and that prevents me from giving the jersey a thumbs up. But I'd put it in the C/C- range, rather than horrendous.

I thought the Buckeye was some sort of nut. Turns out it's weed's boring cousin.Artwork that includes the actual Buckeye along with the leaves is far less "medicinal" in appearance. The more complete version should have been used on the hockey jersey, if leaves were going to be used at all.

Note that the "leaves only" design is used in the small stickers on football helmets. Those stickers are about the size of a 50 cent piece, and look fine at that size. But blow it up several times larger than originally intended, and yes, the problem is obvious.

It's not like SCSU has a long history of playing OSU in any sport so it's his first exposure to the image and the link is obvious. Don't pick on him cause your logo looks like weed.The teams are conference rivals in Women's Hockey. Maybe DL is familiar and maybe he isn't; that's for him to say. But he has had the opportunity.

For my part, I've been to both Men's & Women's games at the NSC. Much concrete, but a good college hockey setting. But the way the Men's Hockey announcer welcomes the Huskies to the ice? Let's just say he's been smoking Buckeye jerseys and leave it go at that.:p ;)

goldy_331
08-23-2013, 03:09 PM
The teams are conference rivals in Women's Hockey. Maybe DL is familiar and maybe he isn't; that's for him to say. But he has had the opportunity.

For my part, I've been to both Men's & Women's games at the NSC. Much concrete, but a good college hockey setting. But the way the Men's Hockey announcer welcomes the Huskies to the ice? Let's just say he's been smoking Buckeye jerseys and leave it go at that.:p ;)

I just looked at a bunch of photos of the OSU women's teams and saw no evidence of pot leaves on their uniforms or helmets. I don't know how DL could have been expected to know that the pot reference is common and old hat.

Draighlicht
08-23-2013, 03:15 PM
I just looked at a bunch of photos of the OSU women's teams and saw no evidence of pot leaves on their uniforms or helmets. I don't know how DL could have been expected to know that the pot reference is common and old hat.

Wonder if he's ever heard of Google? If he typed in 'buckeye leaf - pot leaf' the whole world of childish remarks would open up for him.:D

http://i1239.***********.com/albums/ff502/Draighlicht/pot_leaf_20130218100422_320_240.jpg

and the jersey design basically sucks.

pgb-ohio
08-23-2013, 06:19 PM
I just looked at a bunch of photos of the OSU women's teams and saw no evidence of pot leaves on their uniforms or helmets. I don't know how DL could have been expected to know that the pot reference is common and old hat.I'm fine with saying that DL did nothing wrong. No demerits.

At the same time, no new discovery was made. On this end, we've heard it all before. No brownie points.

mcfarljd
08-24-2013, 12:14 AM
Don't worry man, nothing can ever be as bad as your "brutus" jerseys. :)

Wonder if he's ever heard of Google? If he typed in 'buckeye leaf - pot leaf' the whole world of childish remarks would open up for him.:D

http://i1239.***********.com/albums/ff502/Draighlicht/pot_leaf_20130218100422_320_240.jpg

and the jersey design basically sucks.

Draighlicht
08-24-2013, 06:44 PM
Don't worry man, nothing can ever be as bad as your "brutus" jerseys. :):eek:

Dude Love
08-24-2013, 10:32 PM

Yeah...I'm old hat when I was parroting a joke from the ARTICLE POSTED EARLIER. Nice try, though.

jjmc85
08-26-2013, 11:45 PM
Posted this in the UMass thread, but that's like talking to one's self. Seems like Ben Gallacher is coming to Amherst this year. Any thoughts from OSU fans about what we can expect from him?

Draighlicht
08-27-2013, 07:17 AM
Posted this in the UMass thread, but that's like talking to one's self. Seems like Ben Gallacher is coming to Amherst this year. Any thoughts from OSU fans about what we can expect from him?It's much the same here with regard to talking to one's self. ;)

That said, Gallacher never seemed to pan out at OSU and whether that was him or the coaching staff I can't answer. He was highly regarded when he arrived on campus and a lot was expected of him. The games I saw him play I thought his reactions times were a little slow, but that could well have been the fact that he was thinking too much and not just playing hockey.

His father owns a good hunk of the Canadian tar sands and the Portland Winter Hawks in the WHL. I was hoping he and his dad would love OSU so much they would build a hockey only arena on campus to say 'thanks.' :D

pgb-ohio
08-27-2013, 11:54 AM
Did a quick check of the old stats. Looks like he played just one season at OSU, meaning 2011-12. He appeared in 24 games, and bagged one goal and 11 assists. He took 15 penalties, all minors. Plus/minus was -3. Perfectly reasonable numbers for a member of the supporting cast, which is how I remember him. Whether he fell short of reasonable expectations isn't for me to say.

Best of luck to Ben at Amherst.

Wicked Slappaahs
08-28-2013, 12:55 PM
OSU sniper Hugo Boisvert headed for induction into OSU HOF on Sept. 27th

http://www.standard-freeholder.com/2013/08/27/away-games-a-hall-of-a-player

osualum86
08-28-2013, 08:17 PM

http://www.standard-freeholder.com/2013/08/27/away-games-a-hall-of-a-player

Nice read on one of our all-time greats. Thanks for sharing. I think his induction is way overdue, myself. But then, the way OSU treats hockey as an afterthought, I'd be lying if I said I was surprised.

Draighlicht
08-29-2013, 05:04 PM
couple of former Puck Bucks speak

http://youtu.be/MdcWoy27y4U

pgb-ohio
08-30-2013, 10:56 AM

http://www.standard-freeholder.com/2013/08/27/away-games-a-hall-of-a-playerGreat news! Gotta admit, it's very hard to believe Hugo is 37 years old. And the picture of the bald Hugo Boisvert is positively mind-blowing!

Nice read on one of our all-time greats. Thanks for sharing. I think his induction is way overdue, myself. But then, the way OSU treats hockey as an afterthought, I'd be lying if I said I was surprised.Your comment inspired me to check, and you're correct: Hockey is a bit underrepresented in the Hall of Fame.

Here's a list of the number of players per Men's sport. Inductions for Male athletes began in 1977, although the Hall includes many whose playing days were over before that time. Note these numbers are for players only; they don't include coaches, administrators, etc. Also, the class of 2013 is included in the totals. Finally, I should mention that since I did a quick manual count, the numbers may not be exact. But even if not exact, they're very close:

Football 106
Basketball 28
Track & Field 23
Diving 19
Swimming 16
Baseball 15
Golf 14
Wrestling 13
Gymnastics 6
Volleyball 5
Lacrosse 5
Hockey 4
Tennis 4
Soccer 2
Fencing 2
Rifle 1

This list should in no way diminish the joy of Boisvert's induction; that's all to the good. Now I'm really looking forward to being at the stadium on 9/28! But yes, your educated guess is accurate.

Hockeybuckeye
09-02-2013, 01:23 PM
Don't worry man, nothing can ever be as bad as your "brutus" jerseys. :)At least we never bailed on our mascot you "Redhawk". ;)

osualum86
09-02-2013, 07:32 PM
at least we never bailed on our mascot you "redhawk". ;)

Good one! :D

Hockeybuckeye
09-02-2013, 10:09 PM
Single game tickets go on sale tomorrow!

CollegeHockeyRinkReport
09-03-2013, 09:32 AM
http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog.com/2013/9/3/4687574/b1g-hockey-preview-offense-returning-michigan-ohio-penn-state-wisconsin-minnesota

Ohio State has the highest percentage of offense returning in the B1G.