Ohio State Buckeyes - Coach Rohlik - First Year in the Big Ten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FRICKER View Post
    Not unusual to lose some players, especially Freshman or incoming Fresman who are early in their college careers, to leave when the coach that recruited them leaves. Although student/athletes to not chose
    a school based on the coach being there for four more years, that's easier said than done. The key is to limit those instances toa minimum. Also, as a former coach, I always said that I didn't want a player who didin't want ot be there - that can develop into a big problem. I have no problem with the "string" attached that he not play for a Big Ten school.
    I agree that it's common to lose players when the coach that recruited them leaves the school...only problem with this is that the coaches who recruited these guys have not gone anywhere...i think it's telling that these recruits are very familiar with the current staff and do not have confidence in them...

Comment

Re: Ohio State Buckeyes - Coach Rohlik - First Year in the Big Ten

Originally posted by jerryj View Post
      Not surprisingly- Dougherty and sheehy have decommitted. Nothing against the new coach but firing osiecki is going to be as bad a decision as I originally thought
      I'm not overly concerned about the defectors at this point. I didn't want to lose Stepan, but I am no longer concerned about the decommits. If they don't want to be Buckeyes, then I don't want them here. To paraphrase Gene Hackman from 'Hoosiers' ... I am going to support who we are, not who we are not. This whole decommit thing will become a non-issue in 2014, that is, unless Gene Smith and the other geniuses fabricate a reason to fire Rohlik next year.
      Last edited by osualum86; 06-26-2013, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by THE OHIO STATE View Post
        I don't think the pressure will be on Coach Rohlik the first year. I bet he has already started looking ahead to his own recruits in the coming years. I will judge him on his 2nd & 3rd years as the Head Coach.
        I totally agree with this. I actually think there is more pressure on Gene Smith and the athletic department than there is on Coach Rohlik since they're the ones who orchestrated this. We have enough talent to win 20-25 games this season. If we somehow don't hit that mark, Smith and his staff will be the ones who will look like idiots for promoting a guy who couldn't get it done. This whole situation is really on Smith and the athletic department, not Coach Rohlik. I will say this, though. The players all pushed for Rohlik, so they better play their butts off for him and win games.

Comment

Originally posted by dover4345 View Post
          I agree that it's common to lose players when the coach that recruited them leaves the school...only problem with this is that the coaches who recruited these guys have not gone anywhere...i think it's telling that these recruits are very familiar with the current staff and do not have confidence in them...
          That is an interesting point. If I understood some of these posts correctly, Rohlik is the one who did most of the recruiting, so it is somewhat telling that the guys Rohlik actually recruited don't want to come play for him. Still, with the returning players and the recruits who are staying, there's no excuse for Rohlik to not win right away.

Comment

OSUALUM86 ,

You make some very good points.
            " PUT ME IN COACH. "

Comment

Originally posted by THE OHIO STATE View Post
              OSUALUM86 ,

You make some very good points.
              Thanks TOS! It's tough keeping these threads going in the offseason!

Comment

:d
                " PUT ME IN COACH. "

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                  That is an interesting point. If I understood some of these posts correctly, Rohlik is the one who did most of the recruiting, so it is somewhat telling that the guys Rohlik actually recruited don't want to come play for him. Still, with the returning players and the recruits who are staying, there's no excuse for Rohlik to not win right away.
                  I think even though he recruited those guys they still came to play for oz. I do agree the talent is in place to do some nice things.

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
                    I think even though he recruited those guys they still came to play for oz. I do agree the talent is in place to do some nice things.
                    I totally agree. You hate to lose recruits, but with the talent we have in the fold, there's no excuse to not win a lot of games this season. If this team underachieves, it will be due to coaching, not a lack of talent.

Comment

• Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                      I totally agree. You hate to lose recruits, but with the talent we have in the fold, there's no excuse to not win a lot of games this season. If this team underachieves, it will be due to coaching, not a lack of talent.
                      The biggest question will be can Olsen take te reigns in net and run with them

Comment

• Re: Ohio State Buckeyes - Coach Rohlik - First Year in the Big Ten

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
                        That will be one of the main questions going into this season. Will there be a drop-off from Hjelle to Olsen, and if so, how much of a drop-off? I think it is a legitimate concern. Hopefully Olsen plays at a level that renders it a non-issue.

Comment

• Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
                          He's going to start the season 0-2

Comment

• Re: Ohio State Buckeyes - Coach Rohlik - First Year in the Big Ten

Originally posted by mcfarljd View Post
                            He's going to start the season 0-2
                            We'll see about that!

Good luck in your new league.

Comment

We'll see about that!

UVM D Blake Doerring has transferred to Ohio State.
                              https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                              Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

We'll see about that!

The new leagues will definitely take some getting used to, but the competition should be top notch. Hoping we can continue our series, that way I can continue getting kicked out of the schott after having a few too many.

Comment

Working...
                                X