Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ohio State Buckeyes - Coach Rohlik - First Year in the Big Ten

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
    i wasnt trying to be or get cocky but if this team is going to get where they want to be they should not lose to Penn State. Yes they have to play well to get victories. Penn State did beat them last year and I would not want to be the first team to lose a conference game to them.
    I know you weren't and I understood your point. If this program is really moving forward, this weekend needs to be a sweep. If not, it makes you wonder about the direction of the program.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
      I know you weren't and I understood your point. If this program is really moving forward, this weekend needs to be a sweep. If not, it makes you wonder about the direction of the program.
      I'm not worried about the direction of the program. We do have a first time head coach and although he was here as an assistant for Oseicki I think Steve is really getting this team together under how he wants things done and we will be a force to contend with in the B1G

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
        I'm not worried about the direction of the program. We do have a first time head coach and although he was here as an assistant for Oseicki I think Steve is really getting this team together under how he wants things done and we will be a force to contend with in the B1G
        Well said. He needs the same grace period most everyone gave Mark Osiecki to get the program to where he wants it. If two years from now we don't sweep a team of similar stature on home ice I will will worry then.

Comment

I should have worded my sentence differently as I am not worried about the direction of the program either. I just meant that if we don't sweep this weekend, I may shake my head and wonder what the heck happened. In regard to the other statements, yes, we have a first time head coach, a coach who has a talented squad that he recruited (according to many here, Rohlik was the driving force behind the recruiting). I think everyone, myself included, is definitely in favor of giving Rohlik a grace period. I sincerely hope he doesn't look at Gene Smith wrong or actually have the audacity to ask Smith for a hockey-only facility or whatever dastardly deed Osiecki did because I don't want to see Rohlik suffer the same fate and not be given the opportunity to finish what he started. In regard to the grace period, though, he really shouldn't need a long grace period as the talent is in place to win now. No excuse to let a team like Penn State come into our ice and steal one.

Comment

Rohlik's methods are different from Oz's too and I hear the guys feel motivated to work hard for him, not because they're made to.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
              I should have worded my sentence differently as I am not worried about the direction of the program either. I just meant that if we don't sweep this weekend, I may shake my head and wonder what the heck happened. In regard to the other statements, yes, we have a first time head coach, a coach who has a talented squad that he recruited (according to many here, Rohlik was the driving force behind the recruiting).
              He may have been the first contact point in recruiting, but six of them (Pavelek, Watson, Daugherty, Sheehy, Stepan and Magyar) definitely changed their commit after Oz was fired and cited that as the reason. They weren't coming to OSU to play for Rohlik.

That's dirty water under the bridge now so Rohlik gets the same three years that I gave OZ to get his players here. He's at even more of a disadvantage because now that goalie Christian Frey is here he's coaching a team that has players who committed to three different coaches. Not an easy task.

Finally - yes, I will be disappointed in anything less than six points, but it only takes one goalie getting hot to ruin that.
              Last edited by Draighlicht; 01-29-2014, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Draighlicht View Post
                He may have been the first contact point in recruiting, but six of them (Pavelek, Watson, Daugherty, Sheehy, Stepan and Magyar) definitely changed their commit after Oz was fired and cited that as the reason. They weren't coming to OSU to play for Rohlik.
                I was disturbed at that initially (the decommits), but as you said, dirty water under the bridge now. As Gene Hackman said in Hoosiers (I'm paraphrasing here), "I will support who we are, not who we are not."

Comment

Rohlik's methods are different from Oz's too and I hear the guys feel motivated to work hard for him, not because they're made to.
                  That is good news, and I have seen that on the ice, for the most part. We still get sloppy with the puck at times and take questionable, inopportune penalties, but I have honestly not seen our guys not working hard out there. I am really looking forward to seeing what we become down the stretch when the guys get used to Rohlik's systems and our young goalies continue to develop. I cannot wait until Minnesota and Wisconsin come to our building, and I am really looking forward to getting to the Schott Friday vs Penn State!

Comment

It's game day can't wait to get down to the arena. This team is coming along even though they have only 1 out of the last 5 I do like the direction they are headed. This weekend starts a stretch of games where they can catch the Spartans in the standings and put some real distance between themselves and Penn State. I hope to see the fire they displayed at Wisconsin last Saturday night and get a early lead.

Comment

Good showing by the Bucks tonight and 3 points. Scarlet & Frey!

Anyone hear the status on Brevig? Gedig and Dalrymple are still out...D is going to be very thin if Brevig is out any amount of time.

Remember, game tomorrow is at 2P!

Comment

Enjoyable game tonight. We definitely have a short bench when it comes to D. Hope the injured guys are back soon! I thought we were sloppy at times, and we gave up 47 shots on goal tonight, but in the end, we were clearly the better team and put this one away in the second period. Christian Frey was outstanding in goal, stopping 46 of those 47 shots tonight. I am listening to Rohlik's postgame presser while typing this and he is not sure if the injured d-men will be back tomorrow or not. Hopefully the guys can finish this the right way and get the sweep tomorrow.

Comment

• Very nice win tonight. Giving up 47 shots isn't very pleasing but Penn Sate did shoot from everywhere and a lot of those were not good chances. Frey looked good once again but Tomkins I think will be getting the start tomorrow. Good to see more 5 on 5 goals plus a shorty. Go and get the sweep tomorrow.

Comment

When's the last time you saw a coach pull the goalie with 12 minutes left?! Even the easy empty netter will help Ryan's stats!

Comment

[QUOTE=Draighlicht;5869502]He may have been the first contact point in recruiting, but six of them (Pavelek, Watson, Daugherty, Sheehy, Stepan and Magyar) definitely changed their commit after Oz was fired and cited that as the reason. They weren't coming to OSU to play for Rohlik.

I think a player should commit to the College and then the Coach. The name on the front of the jersey is more important than the name on the back of the jersey and the Coach.
                              " PUT ME IN COACH. "

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                                When's the last time you saw a coach pull the goalie with 12 minutes left?! Even the easy empty netter will help Ryan's stats!
                                I thought it was great move. Who cares if u lose by 4 goals. If they score there it's just a 2 goal game with 12 minutes to go. I would have done the same thing they had nothing to lose.

Comment

Working...
                                X