Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ohio State Buckeyes - Coach Rohlik - First Year in the Big Ten

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
    Received email today for ticket purchase for the B1G hockey tournament at $140.00 a seat. Really ****es me off as that's only $10.00 less than a OSU season ticket package! Also the CCHA for their finals at the Joe a front row seat against the glass were only $35.00 a day!
    Time will tell if the B1G overreached on this.

But quite honestly that number is not out of line with what college hockey costs in the Twin Cities market. The Gophers get $35 per seat for regular season games, and routinely sell out. I don't know what the WCHA Final Five charged for an all-sessions pass, but I was able to find out that last year's title game went for $46 a ticket. That's on top of $41 plus $46 for the semi-finals -- two separate sessions. The two first round games were also separate sessions. While my info isn't complete, it looks to me like they're very much in the same ballpark as the Final Five.

The Final Five did have an economy option in the upper deck, behind the nets. If the B1G decided not to offer that option, that's a shame.

It will be interesting to see what they charge at The Joe in 2015. My completely uninformed guess is that it will be more than the $70 you enjoyed at the CCHA tournament, but less than this year's $140.

Of course customers would always rather pay less, but prices are going to be a function of supply and demand. So will B1G fans be willing to fill The X at $140 a pop? The guaranteed presence of six brand name schools suggests yes. The distance of five of those schools from the arena suggests no. The local availability of the large Gopher Hockey fanbase suggests yes. The absence of the North Dakota fanbase -- who attended the Final Five in large numbers -- suggests no.

For my part, I'll be watching with great interest -- but watching on TV, right here in Columbus. Maybe that suggests that demand from outside of Minnesota will be limited, or maybe that's just me.

Stay tuned.

Comment

Very astute Mr.PGB.
      I certainly plan on attending next year at the Joe. I hope for two things then to soften my mood. One, that the Renaissance Center will still be the host hotel for the teams and fans as they were for the CCHA and that the B1G negotiates the excellent discounted rates we enjoyed through the CCHA. Even so, having a 3 day playoff means a 3 day stay at over a hundred twenty a night ($180.00 regular rates) so it's like we're back to the old Super 6 format instead of the 4 team finals the CCHA had the last several years.
      Most fans bail from the event after their team is eliminated so depending on WHICH 2 teams are left for the championship game that could be one pretty empty arena!

Comment

Received email today for ticket purchase for the B1G hockey tournament at $140.00 a seat. Really ****es me off as that's only $10.00 less than a OSU season ticket package! Also the CCHA for their finals at the Joe a front row seat against the glass were only $35.00 a day!
        You're getting a bargain at less than $10 seat/game for season tickets. Minnesota annual seat licenses run $0 to $500/seat, with average probably $200 (plus ticket prices). $140/5 games for B1G tourney = $28/game.

Comment

Very astute Mr.PGB.
          Would you expect any less?

I certainly plan on attending next year at the Joe. I hope for two things then to soften my mood. One, that the Renaissance Center will still be the host hotel for the teams and fans as they were for the CCHA and that the B1G negotiates the excellent discounted rates we enjoyed through the CCHA. Even so, having a 3 day playoff means a 3 day stay at over a hundred twenty a night ($180.00 regular rates) so it's like we're back to the old Super 6 format instead of the 4 team finals the CCHA had the last several years.
          Most fans bail from the event after their team is eliminated so depending on WHICH 2 teams are left for the championship game that could be one pretty empty arena!
          Also astute.

With regard to the last point: Neutral Final Five fans generally did a much better job of attending games than neutral fans at the CCHA tournament. If we should happen to get a B1G Final at The Joe without either the Wolverines or Spartans, a weak in-house turnout could indeed be the result.

Originally posted by mnpokecheck View Post
          You're getting a bargain at less than $10 seat/game for season tickets. Minnesota annual seat licenses run $0 to $500/seat, with average probably $200 (plus ticket prices). $140/5 games for B1G tourney = $28/game.
          Nothing ramps up the demand side of the equation like consistent winning. If this were a Football conversation, Buckeye fans would be marveling at the bargain prices Gopher fans enjoy.

As for the numbers you've added to the conversation, $28 per game is a good way to look at it. Assuming that single session tickets eventually go on sale, there probably will be staggered pricing. But for a quick answer to the question of whether the pricing is appropriate to the market, one could say $28 < $35. So tentatively the answer is yes.

Comment

I bought a whole package at the beginning of the season at 16 a game plus ticketmaster fees i paid a total of $98.

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
              I bought a whole package at the beginning of the season at 16 a game plus ticketmaster fees i paid a total of $98.
              Was that for best available seating, or for an economy section? If it was for best available, buying last Fall was obviously the thing to do!

On another front, I'm glad to hear an OSU fan is making the trip.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                Was that for best available seating, or for an economy section? If it was for best available, buying last Fall was obviously the thing to do!

On another front, I'm glad to hear an OSU fan is making the trip.
                It came as a package for upper level I am sitting just inside the blue line in the first row section 205. I just went to ticket master and could have bought section 204 row 3 seat 19 thats right on the blue line for only 94.00.
                Last edited by klbaum1077; 01-24-2014, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Our mistakes by our own net doomed us tonight but what a cheap shot on the slash to the back of Ryan's leg in the last seconds of the game. Someone should pay for that tomorrow!

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
                    It came as a package for upper level I am sitting just inside the blue line in the first row section 205. I just went to ticket master and could have bought section 204 row 3 seat 19 thats right on the blue line for only 94.00.
                    Excellent result, IMHO.

Because the Lower Bowl at The X is a bit larger than some, it's very helpful to be in a low row in the 200's. Note that the 200's are also above a fairly substantial Club level. But Row 1? I'm sure you'll be very pleased. I'm also glad the more affordable price was available, and was not limited to seats behind the nets.

Thanks for the follow-up.

Comment

Not a great effort but not terrible either. they have to find a way to get more pressure 5 on 5 can not rely on the PP all the time. I dont think you can blame Tomkins for 4 of the 5 goals. Like said earlier to many mistakes behind the net that led to Wisconsin pressure and goals. That was a real cheap shot to Dzingels leg at the end. Hope for a better result tonight.

Comment

Good split for OSU.

And the coaches pay extra attention to their hair as well.

Comment

We were fortunate. We allowed Wisconsin to control the boards and dominate control of the puck in front of our net. Star of the game is obviously Christian Frey. OUTSTANDING job in net tonight!

Comment

I'll take the 3 points and look forward to a sweep next weekend at home!

Comment

We were fortunate. We allowed Wisconsin to control the boards and dominate control of the puck in front of our net. Star of the game is obviously Christian Frey. OUTSTANDING job in net tonight!
                              It was a very close game. Wisconsin controlled possesion for much of the game, but (obviously) came up short finishing scoring plays, while OSU didn't. Their team defense seemed to be better than last night, and was much harder for the UW attack to penetrate it. The Badgers forwards couldn't finish during the few scrambles in front of the OSU net, but for the most part, it seemed that Frey maintained his position very, very well.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGhost View Post
                                I'll take the 3 points and look forward to a sweep next weekend at home!
                                Thumbs Up.
                                " PUT ME IN COACH. "

Comment

Working...
                                X