PDA

View Full Version : Ohio State Buckeyes - Coach Rohlik - First Year in the Big Ten

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43

MGoBlueHockey
02-08-2014, 10:56 PM
Shootouts are stupid.

Interesting fact: only teams to win shootouts are those who came from the CCHA.

Started from the bottom now we here.

Draighlicht
02-09-2014, 06:45 AM
Ah. the true signs of a Michigan education.:D

osualum86
02-09-2014, 09:06 AM
Shootouts are stupid.

Interesting fact: only teams to win shootouts are those who came from the CCHA.

Have you guys lost all the shootouts you've been in? Seriously, say what you will about shootouts, but I will take the four points we earned in those shootouts this weekend in East Lansing.

Hockeybuckeye
02-09-2014, 09:45 AM
Both PP goals for the Spartans were by the same guy and he went above the shoulder glove side on Frey. And obvious weak point for Frey. He DID stop one there late in the game though. He came out pushing it hard at the beginning of OT. Could and should have put it away then.
If we sweep out remaining home series we'll be sitting pretty.

MGoBlueHockey
02-09-2014, 11:18 AM
Have you guys lost all the shootouts you've been in? Seriously, say what you will about shootouts, but I will take the four points we earned in those shootouts this weekend in East Lansing.

Nope. Michigan is actually on a 5-game win streak in shootouts dating back to last year. In fact, the one against wisconsin evened their all-time record up at 6-6.

Ah. the true signs of a Michigan education.:D

It's the first line from Started From The Bottom....a song by Drake.

Hockeybuckeye
02-09-2014, 08:22 PM
C'mon and play nice. I happen to like MGoBlueHockey.

Hockeybuckeye
02-09-2014, 09:03 PM
If we sweep Wisconsin this coming weekend and Minnesota sweeps Michigan guess who would be in 2nd place in the B1G? :D

osualum86
02-09-2014, 09:03 PM
I don't have a problem with MGoBlueHockey, either. I was just trying to get him to elaborate on why he dislikes shootouts and my first thought was that maybe Michigan had not been successful in them. I am actually ambivalent about the shootout. If it continues to be part of the game, I am fine with that. If, at some point, they take shootouts out of the game, I won't shed a tear. Is it a skills competition? Yes. Does it add some extra entertainment for the fans? Yes. Are shootouts stupid? MGoBlueHockey says yes. I say no. We can agree to disagree on shootouts.

Hockeybuckeye
02-09-2014, 09:14 PM
Differences of opinion on things like that have nothing to do with school loyalty.
Hope he realizes it's not personal that in rooting for my team to advance I have to hope for Michigan losses since the Wolverines are currently ahead of us in the B1G standings. That's just the nature of competition sports.

osualum86
02-10-2014, 01:07 PM
Differences of opinion on things like that have nothing to do with school loyalty.

Exactly, which is why I asked him if Michigan had lost all their shootouts. Normally, the people who hate shootouts do so because of their team's lack of success in them. I agree it has nothing to do with school loyalty. I didn't think I stated anything implying that it was an Ohio State vs Michigan thing. I thought it was a shootouts are stupid vs shootouts are not stupid thing.

Wisko McBadgerton
02-10-2014, 01:28 PM
If we sweep out remaining home series we'll be sitting pretty.

With Wisconsin and Minnesota coming in don't you consider this perhaps a wee bit optimistic?

Draighlicht
02-10-2014, 02:40 PM
With Wisconsin and Minnesota coming in don't you consider this perhaps a wee bit optimistic?
I certainly do. :D

Hockeybuckeye
02-10-2014, 05:18 PM
With Wisconsin and Minnesota coming in don't you consider this perhaps a wee bit optimistic?Actually the way our game has been elevating and we have the #1 scorer, #1 power play and #1 power play kill in the B1G, and along with home ice I believe we're a match right now for any team in the conference. Did you forget the only goal scored in the Classic wasn't by the Gophers but a fluke by our own goalie? We had the Gophers stonewalled.

osualum86
02-10-2014, 07:21 PM

I'll say it's a tad optimistic, but the way our team is playing these days, we don't have to fear anyone. Plus, we beat you in your barn. I was just on your thread and saw all the posts expecting you guys to come into our arena and sweep this weekend. I think that is quite a bit more optimistic than our fans predicting sweep, don't you?

Wisko McBadgerton
02-12-2014, 08:57 AM
I'll say it's a tad optimistic, but the way our team is playing these days, we don't have to fear anyone. Plus, we beat you in your barn. I was just on your thread and saw all the posts expecting you guys to come into our arena and sweep this weekend. I think that is quite a bit more optimistic than our fans predicting sweep, don't you?

In short, no.

In long:

Anything is possible of course, but I think barring injuries and given the remaining schedules, and possible PWR comps, it's a 50/50 (or better) chance that Wisconsin will go into the NCAA tournament a #1 seed. (most likely at #3 or #4) It's very unlikely OSU will go into the tournament at all, and their only realistic path is through the B1G tournament, and again, anything is possible, but the odds would be fairly heavily set against that. I bring this up because, to me, it represents a considerable margin between the two teams at this point.

OSU is a very capable team, but the fact that OSU won at WI helps ensure WI doesn't look past OSU. I've no reason to think WI won't play well. If both teams play well, WI is a better team. WI could not play well and possibly still win as they did against (a better than OSU) MN last Thursday. Barring weirdness, OSU probably has to play very well to have a chance to win either game.

Lastly, you will be treated to #17, Nic Kerdiles, this time around. He's missed several games with an injury after missing games while away leading the WJ team in points. He's a special player and WI is a different team with him in the line-up. Assuming former gold-winning WJ team captain Jake McCabe isn't suspended by the B1G (he shouldn't be) and second leading scorer Tyler Barnes (shoulder) are both in, we will actually have a full roster of our best players. We've played a total of 16 games without that so far.

It's Hockey, anything's possible. OSU's pp is terrific. But odds would definitely favor Wisconsin in both games.

Hockeybuckeye
02-12-2014, 10:35 AM
OSU's pp is terrific. But odds would definitely favor Wisconsin in both games.
I respectfully disagree but we shall see what the weekend brings. Not that we've played many home conference games yet but we only have one home loss and one tie. We're pretty strong in our own barn.

Wisko McBadgerton
02-12-2014, 12:04 PM
I respectfully disagree but we shall see what the weekend brings. Not that we've played many home conference games yet but we only have one home loss and one tie. We're pretty strong in our own barn.

No problem. The question was essentially, "Would it make more sense to predict a WI sweep or a OSU sweep @ OSU?

Outside of your early Nov. split with then #20 UMD, I think the PWR rankings for teams you beat at home are: #30 (BG) #39 (Mercyhurst) #42 (MI ST) #47 (Robert Morris) #48 (Canisius) #50 (Niagra) #52 (PSU)

OSU's SOS is #42, while WI has played a #6 SOS. In other words, WI has a better record against a much tougher schedule, 2/3's of it played shorthanded as I mentioned. (And WI probably won't be short this week.) Lastly, OSU comes in off 2 ties @ #42 and WI is #7 and coming in off a home sweep of #1.

Definitely not trying to be disrespectful either, just saying that evidence would point to WI being a much better choice if you're picking one.

Innova
02-12-2014, 12:30 PM
If we sweep Wisconsin this coming weekend and Minnesota sweeps Michigan guess who would be in 2nd place in the B1G? :D

That's a if.

Hockeybuckeye
02-12-2014, 05:16 PM
That's a if.Not that big of an if. LOL!

OSUmab
02-13-2014, 09:14 PM
We need to get the Schott rocking this weekend. Will be trying my best!