PDA

View Full Version : Ohio State Buckeyes - Coach Rohlik - First Year in the Big Ten

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43

Hockeybuckeye
02-02-2014, 09:02 PM
It's Ohio State, it's not supposed to make sense or they'd have somebody running athletics who's a lot more competent and for a lot less money than Gene Smith. LOL!

Hockeybuckeye
02-02-2014, 09:07 PM
I wonder if the quality of the ice at the Schott is what it used to be?
Mike Morris who passed from cancer a couple of years back was in charge of the ice for years and was the best refrigeration man in the region. He left for awhile not liking the internal politics at OSU but came back after they practically begged him because they couldn't get the ice good enough for the Frozen Four.
Mike and I went back for decades, long before the Schott existed and he's missed.

GreyGhost
02-02-2014, 09:10 PM
Mike Damas is in charge of the ice at the Schott. Very competent guy with an NHL background, think with Carolina or Florida. He was on the news last week during a Fox 28 or ABC 6 segment, can't remember which. Really nice guy and works extremely hard to provide a great surface for OUR team to play on.

GreyGhost
02-02-2014, 09:11 PM
It's Ohio State, it's not supposed to make sense or they'd have somebody running athletics who's a lot more competent and for a lot less money than Gene Smith. LOL!

Gene actually praised our hockey program in The Dispatch today.

GreyGhost
02-02-2014, 09:19 PM
My issue about the 50th celebration is a basic one. My perspective of the team and the players covers all 50 years because I've been here for all of it. I'm not being critical of anyone's opinion here on forum, just saying we could and should have done more in getting former players here based on what some of the hockey alumni told me.
The 50th honoring is much more about the alumni in my perspective than those currently playing. The current players will make their own niche in OSU hockey but that is a work currently in progress.
If what I say is being passed along direct from the hockey alumni many of who have been close personal friends for years and who I talk with on almost a daily basis then what more do you want to be considered as fact Grey Ghost?
My original comments about rotating the goalies was assumption and speculation which is what all on forum do, however my last statement about the goaltenders came direct from the coaching staff so there is a fact.

I can appreciate that. After Oz wrecked all outside events I am surprised that any alumns showed up at all!

Hockeybuckeye
02-02-2014, 09:19 PM
I don't know if you noticed but the only time outside of a special function Gene Smith would show at our hockey games is when we'd play his Alma Matter Notre Dame.
Hmmm, wonder who he was hoping would win?

Hockeybuckeye
02-02-2014, 09:22 PM
I can appreciate that. After Oz wrecked all outside events I am surprised that any alumns showed up at all!The thing that upset the alumni with Oz was the cancelling of our annual alumni weekend and alumni hockey game. We felt that given all of what he was dealing with his first season we understood his priorities were elsewhere. Second season there was some grumbling. By the 3rd season it was pretty evident his ideas of a new hockey culture at Ohio State had no room for those that came before.

GreyGhost
02-02-2014, 09:32 PM
The thing that upset the alumni with Oz was the cancelling of our annual alumni weekend and alumni hockey game. We felt that given all of what he was dealing with his first season we understood his priorities were elsewhere. Second season there was some grumbling. By the 3rd season it was pretty evident his ideas of a new hockey culture at Ohio State had no room for those that came before.

I agree with you and think that is a **** shame. From my understanding, Rohlik is changing that culture and hopefully next season we will have an alumni weekend.

GreyGhost
02-02-2014, 09:34 PM
I don't know if you noticed but the only time outside of a special function Gene Smith would show at our hockey games is when we'd play his Alma Matter Notre Dame.
Hmmm, wonder who he was hoping would win?

It makes you wonder. I am happy for the move to the B1G. It forces more exposure on the program and Smith can't do anything but help improve it or be embarrased on the National stage. Looking at his new compensation package and bonuses, I'd say things are moving up for Ohio State Hockey.

Hockeybuckeye
02-02-2014, 09:49 PM
It makes you wonder. I am happy for the move to the B1G. It forces more exposure on the program and Smith can't do anything but help improve it or be embarrased on the National stage. Looking at his new compensation package and bonuses, I'd say things are moving up for Ohio State Hockey.I quite agree. I was upset for some time about the complete demise of the CCHA but looking back in some ways it stagnated our programs exposure. With the B1G and the inclusion of the network will bring our conference's hockey to more viewers and I hope it will interest more Ohio State sports fans to become fans of our sport of hockey.
If we continue to do well the rest of the season and finish strong only good things can come of it with the fan base expanding and bringing in really good recruits.

GreyGhost
02-02-2014, 09:53 PM
I quite agree. I was upset for some time about the complete demise of the CCHA but looking back in some ways it stagnated our programs exposure. With the B1G and the inclusion of the network will bring our conference's hockey to more viewers and I hope it will interest more Ohio State sports fans to become fans of our sport of hockey.
If we continue to do well the rest of the season and finish strong only good things can come of it with the fan base expanding and bringing in really good recruits.

Yup, if you look back, I've been saying that all season. Glad to have you onboard! LOL

Hockeybuckeye
02-02-2014, 09:56 PM
Plus with Miami's new conference who here would shed a tear that they're one point away from being tired for last place? LOL!!

GreyGhost
02-02-2014, 09:57 PM
Plus with Miami's new conference who here would shed a tear that they're one point away from being tired for last place? LOL!!

The wheels have fallen off the wagon down in Oxford. They have a great program but struggling. My problem with Miami is their fans mobbing the Schott and over-riding OUR fans.

Hockeybuckeye
02-02-2014, 10:01 PM
The wheels have fallen off the wagon down in Oxford. They have a great program but struggling. My problem with Miami is their fans mobbing the Schott and over-riding OUR fans.
If we played them now that our game has solidified compared to early season I think we'd bitc* slap them silly!

GreyGhost
02-02-2014, 10:02 PM
If anyone is living under a rock, be sure to vote (daily and preferably from multiple computers) for Ryan Dzingel and the Hobey Baker Award! Here is the link: http://www.hobeybaker.com/awards/the-hobey-baker-memorial-award/vote

GreyGhost
02-02-2014, 10:02 PM
If we played them now that our game has solidified compared to early season I think we'd bitc* slap them silly!

Totally agree, and we would do it in their barn!

Hockeybuckeye
02-02-2014, 10:04 PM
If anyone is living under a rock, be sure to vote (daily and preferably from multiple computers) for Ryan Dzingel and the Hobey Baker Award! Here is the link: http://www.hobeybaker.com/awards/the-hobey-baker-memorial-award/vote
Another reason to get the fan base up - to give our guys like Ryan the votes he deserves!

GreyGhost
02-02-2014, 10:05 PM
Ryan Dzingel has a fan page on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/officialryandzingelfanpage I don't know if that is good or bad or just a promo to get him the Hobey Baker. We need him back next year to help to continue to move this team and program forward! I hope he stays at OSU and does not go pro. But with a FB page up and running, I think the wheels are spinning and we will be without him next season.

Hockeybuckeye
02-04-2014, 09:38 PM
So, anyone going up to East Lansing this weekend for either of the games? No snow predicted there Friday & Saturday. Between now and Friday is another story!

klbaum1077
02-05-2014, 02:26 PM
So, anyone going up to East Lansing this weekend for either of the games? No snow predicted there Friday & Saturday. Between now and Friday is another story!

I bought tickets back in October but with the snow we got i dont think i am going to be able to get there ill just watch the games on TV.