PDA

View Full Version : Ohio State Buckeyes - Coach Rohlik - First Year in the Big Ten

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43

Hockeybuckeye
02-02-2014, 12:01 AM
I just want to know who had this expectation of every OSU hockey alumn attending and who was having that debate. I feel the history of the program was well represented both pre-game and in-game.I don't think there was that kind of expectation, but we've had more alumni attend for many of our traditional alumni weekends that we had during the Markel era.
I would have thought for such a milestone we would have had more attend. If you took away the families of those alumni sitting with them in 206 how many would you estimate were there?

Hockeybuckeye
02-02-2014, 12:05 AM
I wouldn't expect many who graduated in the past ten years to be free to come as more than a few are playing still somewhere but for those of that age bracket who are in other careers now I can't say they were there.

GreyGhost
02-02-2014, 12:25 AM
I don't think there was that kind of expectation, but we've had more alumni attend for many of our traditional alumni weekends that we had during the Markel era.
I would have thought for such a milestone we would have had more attend. If you took away the families of those alumni sitting with them in 206 how many would you estimate were there?

In your previous posts, you eluded to upset alumni that weren't invited...so I am trying to be clear whether this was an OSU oversight or OSU creating an event for the enjoyment of the fans, sport and 50 year celebration. Or are folk(s) (i.e. you) ranting on about stuff of with no consequence. I appreciate the Markell era, (i.e. Markell) but it is done and gone. As well is the Oz era, it is done and gone. You failed to mention the coach of the 63-64 era. Was Bedecki in attendance? I felt the alumns that were in attendance were well represented and I think the fans showed their appreciation with their appearance on center ice. I think OSU did a good job representing and presenting them. OUR team showed its support by skating by and bumping gloves/fists of every alumn along with a standing ovation. That gave me goosebumps. A great milestone for Ohio State Hockey. How firm thy friendship...the character of OUR team is strong and I challenge anyone to question it. #AsOne

I agree, 50 years is a great accomplishment for the university and for its alumns...no doubt. But let's look at reality, we've never won a National championship. Our conference wins have been weak. We also struggle to get 6k in attendance on a weekly basis. But we are headed there. We've got a good first year coach that is keeping up with the best coaches in the country, many on this board thought would have his job, maybe more importantly an awesome hockey assoc AD in Shawn Richard who is supporting OUR program whole-heartedly and doing what it takes, great current team and a great bunch of recruits coming in to the program. The addition of Christian Frey mid-season proves that. Ohio State Hockey may have been taken lightly in the past, but I believe those days are changing. Our play this season proves it, especially competing with the likes of MN and WI....typical "hockey culture" schools where we might not have won, but we did NOT collapse....chasing the puck into corners, challenging the D, defending our own net.... OUR team has proved we can compete in the B1G and I am very proud of this season and where we are headed.

People can say what they want about Gene Smith, Oz, etc. I'm certainly not a cheerleader for admin. I do know that lower folks in admin are doing everything they can do to boost attendance at games, contribute and make Ohio State Hockey successful, including this event for 50 years. For them I will cheerlead as they are in then trenches, win or lose. I take issue when people make broad statements and don't support them with fact. You can relive your glory days all you want, HockeyeBuckeye, with alumni, etc...the fact of the matter is that we are playing in the here and now in the B1G. Our boys are making history before your eyes, realize it or not.

I really think the greater victory is OUR team overcoming a 2-0 deficit and winning the game and taking 3 needed points and sweeping the series. Not ****ing over which alumni were at the game.

As for the goalie situation, Christian Frey was played on a short-turnaround (7p-2p) series because he is clearly a better goalie than Tomkins. I really don't believe there is any confusion or "training" on the part of OSU or Joe Exter there. Frey has proved himself. #GoBucks #AsOne

Hockeybuckeye
02-02-2014, 09:34 AM
My issue about the 50th celebration is a basic one. My perspective of the team and the players covers all 50 years because I've been here for all of it. I'm not being critical of anyone's opinion here on forum, just saying we could and should have done more in getting former players here based on what some of the hockey alumni told me.
The 50th honoring is much more about the alumni in my perspective than those currently playing. The current players will make their own niche in OSU hockey but that is a work currently in progress.
If what I say is being passed along direct from the hockey alumni many of who have been close personal friends for years and who I talk with on almost a daily basis then what more do you want to be considered as fact Grey Ghost?
My original comments about rotating the goalies was assumption and speculation which is what all on forum do, however my last statement about the goaltenders came direct from the coaching staff so there is a fact.

Hockeybuckeye
02-02-2014, 09:46 AM
Average attendance so far this season for our B1G conference only home games is 6337. I think well see a large jump when Wisconsin and Minnesota come to town. Not certain how many will come to the Michigan game at Nationwide but it's an interesting strategy to have it there while the Arnold is going on down there to try and draw from that crowd.

klbaum1077
02-02-2014, 10:45 AM
Average attendance so far this season for our B1G conference only home games is 6337. I think well see a large jump when Wisconsin and Minnesota come to town. Not certain how many will come to the Michigan game at Nationwide but it's an interesting strategy to have it there while the Arnold is going on down there to try and draw from that crowd.

The Arnold is the week before isnt it? They had to move the game because of State Wrestling in the Schott that weekend.

Hockeybuckeye
02-02-2014, 10:57 AM
The Arnold is the week before isnt it? They had to move the game because of State Wrestling in the Schott that weekend.
The Arnold is the 27th-2nd.

Hockeybuckeye
02-02-2014, 11:24 AM
They had to move the game because of State Wrestling in the Schott that weekend.Wasn't even thinking of that now that the CCHA is no more. LOL!
Actually the wrestling ends March 1st. so any other things scheduled in conflict with us playing at the Schott on the 2nd? The Schott's schedule says no so I go back to my original premises that playing downtown on the last day of The Arnold is promotional, not necessity.

Draighlicht
02-02-2014, 11:51 AM
with the premium pairwise puts on quality road wins they really need to win the game in Ann Arbor.

klbaum1077
02-02-2014, 12:16 PM
Wasn't even thinking of that now that the CCHA is no more. LOL!
Actually the wrestling ends March 1st. so any other things scheduled in conflict with us playing at the Schott on the 2nd? The Schott's schedule says no so I go back to my original premises that playing downtown on the last day of The Arnold is promotional, not necessity.

Yea no reason they couldnt play the sunday game at the Schott.

klbaum1077
02-02-2014, 12:29 PM
with the premium pairwise puts on quality road wins they really need to win the game in Ann Arbor.

You hit that on straight on if they are going to climb the latter they need to win at Yost.

Hockeybuckeye
02-02-2014, 12:43 PM
In regards to attendance numbers I calculated how we compare to the rest of the conference in AVERAGE attendance home conference games through this weekend.
Wisconsin - 11,524
Minnesota - 9878
Ohio State - 6337
Penn State - 6076
Michigan State - 5984
Michigan - 5800

Now keep in mind that numbers for Michigan and Michigan State are limited by the size of their arenas otherwise they would undoubtedly be higher.
Official capacity for Penn State's Pegula Arena is 5782 though obviously they are finding ways to squeeze more in.

Draighlicht
02-02-2014, 01:47 PM
In regards to attendance numbers I calculated how we compare to the rest of the conference in AVERAGE attendance home conference games through this weekend.
Wisconsin - 11,524
Minnesota - 9878
Ohio State - 6337
Penn State - 6076
Michigan State - 5984
Michigan - 5800

What am I missing here? Didn't OSU at Minnesota draw 45K for the outdoor game? The figure for the gophers should be higher than this.

Hockeybuckeye
02-02-2014, 02:09 PM
What am I missing here? Didn't OSU at Minnesota draw 45K for the outdoor game? The figure for the gophers should be higher than this.I thought it would not give an accurate average to include a specialty event like that so that attendance number was not included in figuring Minnesota's average. I'm looking for what is average for regular home conference games in the team's regular venue. Sorry I didn't mention that exclusion before.

Hockeybuckeye
02-02-2014, 02:20 PM
If I compute future averages I probably won't include our game at Nationwide either as there is no way to determine if it will draw more, less, or no difference which is why I left off campus venue numbers out for other teams as well.

OSUmab
02-02-2014, 03:06 PM
Needed 6 this weekend and got it. Glad we came back yesterday did not want a bad showing on National TV. Good crowds too.

Stick with Frey until he loses is my guess.

Where was Alex S yesterday?

GreyGhost
02-02-2014, 07:39 PM
Wasn't even thinking of that now that the CCHA is no more. LOL!

They tear the ice out for the wrestling championships...leastwise they did last year.

GreyGhost
02-02-2014, 07:42 PM
They tear the ice out for the wrestling championships...leastwise they did last year.

But we are back at the Schott for MN the following week, so that doesn't make sense either. Maybe they ripped the ice out last year because the regular season CCHA schedule was over in time for wrestling.

Hockeybuckeye
02-02-2014, 08:22 PM
But we are back at the Schott for MN the following week, so that doesn't make sense either. Maybe they ripped the ice out last year because the regular season CCHA schedule was over in time for wrestling.That's exactly the reason, all home games for us were over however Grey Ghost is right. They do indeed remove the ice completely for the high school wrestling and the process take 2 days. To install the ice takes 3 days and 10,000 gallons of water to make one inch of ice at the Schott.

GreyGhost
02-02-2014, 08:59 PM
That's exactly the reason, all home games for us were over however Grey Ghost is right. They do indeed remove the ice completely for the high school wrestling and the process take 2 days. To install the ice takes 3 days and 10,000 gallons of water to make one inch of ice at the Schott.

Thought so. Remember we played Ferris State last year at the old barn because they had just ripped out the ice at the Schott for wrestling. I remember the pics on Facebook by the Schott of a bobcat hauling the ice out to the parking lot.

So they are going to rip the ice out for wrestling, but put it back in for our series vs. MN the following weekend? Does that even make sense?