Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ohio State Buckeyes - Coach Rohlik - First Year in the Big Ten

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
    I was looking at a recruiting website and found Matt Tomkins (goalie). Is that the recruit you were thinking of?
    Can't recall but I seem to remember whoever it was was supposed to be a blue chip goalie.

Comment

Reports are surfacing that two defensemen, Nolan Valleau and Cliff Watson, have decommitted from Ohio State. Tough news. I guess this is to be expected with a coaching change. Hopefully this doesn't become a pattern.

Comment

Reports are surfacing that two defensemen, Nolan Valleau and Cliff Watson, have decommitted from Ohio State. Tough news. I guess this is to be expected with a coaching change. Hopefully this doesn't become a pattern.
        Ouch!

Comment

the full schedule is out at the the link below

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/...e/schedule.pdf

Lots of home games!

Comment

Originally posted by Draighlicht View Post

Lots of home games!
            I have to think 13 road games is the lowest total for any team next yr - non IVY

Comment

Lots of home games!
              I hate that both Michigan games in columbus are on monday.

Comment

Who's the scheduling genius who doesn't realize weekday games SU*K and poison attendance?

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                  Who's the scheduling genius who doesn't realize weekday games SU*K and poison attendance?
                  The B1G Ten Network

Comment

Great news on the recruits. I especially like the idea of getting the great local players to stay home. One other note, it's a family affair with Dave Gust. His Sister, Kara, is a defenseman for our womens team. Nice to see Coach Rohlik keeping our recruits in the fold. One quick question, I was thinking we had five new guys coming in. Just thought of the other recruit, Zach Stepan (cousin of Derek Stepan of the NY Rangers). Is he still coming to OSU? Everything I have read says he is still committed, but I had not heard anything.
                    there has been talk going around for weeks that stepan will be decommitting and may want to go to the U but that rohlik is trying to prevent decommits from going to big ten schools, or minnesota anyhow. IF thats true then personally i think thats a mistake considering the head coach these kids committed to was fired, as well as the fact that in college hockey that isnt the norm. a couple recent examples being guadreau decommitting from Hockey East's northeastern when their coach was fired and going to Hockey East BC, and just this week ausmus committing to NCHC's north dakota after decommitting from NCHC's denver after they fired their coach. the stepan thing is a rumor but it would make sense that he may be considering decommitting because it sounds like he chose OSU based on the stepan family ties with Osiecki from his time in wisconsin. whatever happens with the OSU recruits and program in general- the fans can thank the AD because after all of the momentum the program had (which i thought was the program on the up-and-up above any other program right now), theyve lost a top 5 coach in terms of recruiting and his recruits to boot. in the words of robert deniro in copland, "you blew it...."
                    Last edited by jerryj; 05-09-2013, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jerryj View Post
                      there has been talk going around for weeks that stepan will be decommitting and may want to go to the U but that rohlik is trying to prevent decommits from going to big ten schools, or minnesota anyhow. IF thats true then personally i think thats a mistake considering the head coach these kids committed to was fired, as well as the fact that in college hockey that isnt the norm. a couple recent examples being guadreau decommitting from Hockey East's northeastern when their coach was fired and going to Hockey East BC, and just this week ausmus committing to NCHC's north dakota after decommitting from NCHC's denver after they fired their coach. the stepan thing is a rumor but it would make sense that he may be considering decommitting because it sounds like he chose OSU based on the stepan family ties with Osiecki from his time in wisconsin. whatever happens with the OSU recruits and program in general- the fans can thank the AD because after all of the momentum the program had (which i thought was the program on the up-and-up above any other program right now), theyve lost a top 5 coach in terms of recruiting and his recruits to boot. in the words of robert deniro in copland, "you blew it...."
                      Amus had not signed a LOI. Not sure about guadreau

I wouldn't lose much sleep about Watson or Vallau. Stephen would probably make me toss and turn a little though, but I'd be fine the next day.

Doesn't the B10 have an additional inter conference transfer rule require an athlete to sit out and lose a year of elgibility?
                      Last edited by thetruthhurts; 05-09-2013, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by thetruthhurts View Post
                        Amus had not signed a LOI. Not sure about guadreau

I wouldn't lose much sleep about Watson or Vallau. Stephen would probably make me toss and turn a little though, but I'd be fine the next day.

Doesn't the B10 have an additional inter conference transfer rule require an athlete to sit out and lose a year of elgibility?
                        Now that you mention it, the Big Ten does have a rule that if a player transfers from one Big Ten school to another, they have to pay their own way (in addition to sitting out a year). They cannot get a scholarship from the other school. However, I don't recall any rules regarding recruits decommitting from one school and committing to another school within the Big Ten Conference. In regard to Jerryj's post regarding Stepan switching over to Minnesota, I have not read anything or heard anything indicating that Stepan is not still committed to Ohio State, so at this point, I would say the talk about a decommitment is just that, talk. If that does materialize, though, I agree that the athletic department has to take some blame in that by firing a coach who had us moving in the right direction and was bringing in some great recruits like Stepan. On the other side of that coin, I think Rohlik will do a good job bringing in talented recruits, so moving forward, I think we will be fine. Would hate to lose a blue chipper like Stepan, though.

Comment

Not sure who Layne Label is. You'll have to provide a link or fill us in on that. I haven't read anything about Layne Label.

Comment

Not sure who Layne Label is. You'll have to provide a link or fill us in on that. I haven't read anything about Layne Label.
                            not sure if you are being facetious or not but he simply misspelled the last name...

Layne LeBel enters his second year as the director of operations for the Buckeyes after spending 2010-11 as Ohio State's volunteer coach. LeBel coached alongside third-year Buckeye head coach Mark Osiecki with the Green Bay Gamblers in the USHL and has been a coach in the CCHA, spending two seasons as an assistant coach at Notre Dame.

In his first season at Notre Dame, LeBel contributed to the success of a talented defensive corps that helped the Irish set school records for lowest goals-against average (2.42), save percentage (.925) and shutouts in a season (6). The same year, Notre Dame made its first ever NCAA tournament appearance.

LeBel was with the Gamblers for two years and paired with Osiecki to lead the team to the USHL Eastern Division title in 2000-01. Prior to his stint in Green Bay, LeBel was the head coach for the Wisconsin Midget AAA hockey club.

A 1994 graduate of Michigan Tech University, LeBel, a defenseman, was a four-year regular with the Huskies and is sixth all-time among Michigan Tech defensemen in scoring with 25 goals and 68 assists for 93 points in 149 career games. He also had 71 penalties for 156 minutes during his career. A two-time finalist for the WCHA Defensive Player of the Year, LeBel was an honorable mention All-WCHA selection and a WCHA All-Academic selection following the 1992-93 season. That year, he also was awarded Michigan Tech's Harold Meese Sportsmanship Award. He was a key member of the 1994 Michigan Tech team that orchestrated one of the biggest upsets in college hockey when the 10th-place Huskies upset top-ranked Colorado College in the first round of the WCHA playoffs.

Following graduation, LeBel played one season in the Central Hockey League for the Memphis Riverkings, finishing seventh in scoring with 13 goals and 27 assists for 40 points in 45 games. He then moved on to Germany for five seasons with Duisburg EV and Regensburg EV in the German Division I and II leagues.

LeBel and his wife, Molly, reside in Lewis Center, with their children, Mason and Emme. Since retiring from hockey LeBel competed in both the 2009 Columbus and 2010 Boston Marathons.

Comment

Osualum- yeah i would agree that the stepan thing to this point is just talk. I certainly have no information myself on it. And generally i wouldnt post a rumor but in this case i didnt mind posting it on this forum because it has been discussed on several other forums, "reported" on twitter and even talked about on espn's minneapolis sports talk radio station so the rumor, wherever it came from, is out there.. as far as i know though he is still committed to ohio

Comment

not sure if you are being facetious or not but he simply misspelled the last name...

Layne LeBel enters his second year as the director of operations for the Buckeyes after spending 2010-11 as Ohio State's volunteer coach. LeBel coached alongside third-year Buckeye head coach Mark Osiecki with the Green Bay Gamblers in the USHL and has been a coach in the CCHA, spending two seasons as an assistant coach at Notre Dame.

In his first season at Notre Dame, LeBel contributed to the success of a talented defensive corps that helped the Irish set school records for lowest goals-against average (2.42), save percentage (.925) and shutouts in a season (6). The same year, Notre Dame made its first ever NCAA tournament appearance.

LeBel was with the Gamblers for two years and paired with Osiecki to lead the team to the USHL Eastern Division title in 2000-01. Prior to his stint in Green Bay, LeBel was the head coach for the Wisconsin Midget AAA hockey club.

A 1994 graduate of Michigan Tech University, LeBel, a defenseman, was a four-year regular with the Huskies and is sixth all-time among Michigan Tech defensemen in scoring with 25 goals and 68 assists for 93 points in 149 career games. He also had 71 penalties for 156 minutes during his career. A two-time finalist for the WCHA Defensive Player of the Year, LeBel was an honorable mention All-WCHA selection and a WCHA All-Academic selection following the 1992-93 season. That year, he also was awarded Michigan Tech's Harold Meese Sportsmanship Award. He was a key member of the 1994 Michigan Tech team that orchestrated one of the biggest upsets in college hockey when the 10th-place Huskies upset top-ranked Colorado College in the first round of the WCHA playoffs.

Following graduation, LeBel played one season in the Central Hockey League for the Memphis Riverkings, finishing seventh in scoring with 13 goals and 27 assists for 40 points in 45 games. He then moved on to Germany for five seasons with Duisburg EV and Regensburg EV in the German Division I and II leagues.

LeBel and his wife, Molly, reside in Lewis Center, with their children, Mason and Emme. Since retiring from hockey LeBel competed in both the 2009 Columbus and 2010 Boston Marathons.
                                Yeah, that one is on me. I didn't catch the misspelling.

Jerryj, yeah, until I see a story or something concrete, I'll look very forward to seeing Zach Stepan in Scarlet & Gray this fall.

Comment

Working...
                                X