Ohio State Buckeyes - Coach Rohlik - First Year in the Big Ten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by redhawk95 View Post
    That sounds like sour grapes to me. Do a little research and you'll find that Miami has owned Denver and I think will fare just fine against North Dakota moving forward. But, we'll certainly begin to find out starting this weekend.

Look, it's no secret that Miami's program is the preeminent hockey program in the state of Ohio and will continue to be a national contender for the foreseeable future. It's now a hockey school. We pay the hockey coach a ransom (by college hockey standards) and have a first-class hockey-only facility (though I do wish it sat about 5,000 rather than only 4,000 including standing room). But, don't forget, you own football in the state, and to a much lesser degree, basketball, too. In other words, stop getting so bent out of shape about our fans, or the calls, or simply acting like spoiled brats that OSU isn't the top dog in this particular sport. Focus on your program and giving it the support it needs.

OSU has an opportunity to turn the corner. Continue the work of Markell and Osiecki and fight for a new hockey-only facility (hopefully no one else gets fired pushing for that). You can put as much shine on the Schott as you want when talking to recruits but when you average 3,000-4,000 fans in a building that seats 17,500 for hockey it just doesn't work. Is it a good building? Absolutely. But, is it a good venue for college hockey on the campus of Ohio State? Today? No. Not with the lack of status that men's hockey has as compared to football and basketball. And, you have to ask yourself...as a hockey player, would you rather attend Michigan, Minnesota, North Dakota, Miami or Ohio State (if given the opportunity). I think the answer is that each of those schools ahead of Ohio State on that list get the checkmark. For Ohio State to compete, they're going to have to prove they're committed to hockey and firing a guy like Osiecki, hell Markell even, sends the wrong message. I hope I'm wrong, but I think OSU is going to really struggle for relevancy in the B1G. They didn't exactly light the world on fire in the CCHA competing against the likes of Ferris, Lake, BG and others.
    All the Miami games vs former WCHA members were played in non conference action. Correct? Sorry your in for a rude awakening when you visit the likes of The Ralp. The days of sleeping walking through the conference are over.
    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

• Re: Ohio State Buckeyes - Coach Rohlik - First Year in the Big Ten

What a melt down tonight. They were up 3-0 on a PP and Max takes a selfish penalty in front of the net and the game turned from there. I thought the whistle had blown before the 3rd goal went in but it should have never got to that point. Once the 2nd BG goal went in you could see Tomkins played with zero confidence. Breakdowns on defense were a huge problem they caused the 2nd and 3rd goals. A veteran on this team has got to take charge now. The PP looked good at times moving the puck and got a few chances but most of it came off the initial faceoff once a clear came they have trouble getting back in the zone and setting anything up. This could be a long season I know its only 3 games but things better change especially with the discipline.
      Last edited by klbaum1077; 10-16-2013, 09:45 AM.

Comment

I would love to know what happened with the 3rd goal. I was there and sitting on the goal line about 6 rows up and the whistle absolutely blew before the puck appeared to cross and it most certainly blew before the refs signal of a goal. I was sitting with 2 other Buckeyes and a buddy of mine that just graduated from BG and his first reaction was "no way that counts". Klbaum, you couldn't be more right talking about Tomkins having zero confidence after the 2nd goal. The 4th one, while a good shot, came almost from the boards. Not a good angle at all. I don't mind a 10 day layoff at all right now. Time for this bunch to figure it out with a quickness. The one pleasant surprise for me thus far has been Darik Angeli, he looks like an entirely different player than last season.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackhawk56 View Post
          I would love to know what happened with the 3rd goal. I was there and sitting on the goal line about 6 rows up and the whistle absolutely blew before the puck appeared to cross and it most certainly blew before the refs signal of a goal. I was sitting with 2 other Buckeyes and a buddy of mine that just graduated from BG and his first reaction was "no way that counts". Klbaum, you couldn't be more right talking about Tomkins having zero confidence after the 2nd goal. The 4th one, while a good shot, came almost from the boards. Not a good angle at all. I don't mind a 10 day layoff at all right now. Time for this bunch to figure it out with a quickness. The one pleasant surprise for me thus far has been Darik Angeli, he looks like an entirely different player than last season.
          He blew the whistle the green light came on and then the puck entered the net and the ref pointed goal. Coach went nuts after the review and i understand why that should not have been a goal. The break couldnt have come at a better time for this team. Tanner leaving didnt help the cause at all but no excuse for the loss. Angeli has been a bright spot for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
            What a melt down tonight. They were up 3-0 on a PP and Max takes a selfish penalty in front of the net and the game turned from there. I thought the whistle had blown before the 3rd goal went in but it should have never got to that point. Once the 2nd BG goal went in you could see Tomkins played with zero confidence. Breakdowns on defense were a huge problem they caused the 2nd and 3rd goals. A veteran on this team has got to take charge now. The PP looked good at times moving the puck and got a few chances but most of it came off the initial faceoff once a clear came they have trouble getting back in the zone and setting anything up. This could be a long season I know its only 3 games but things better change especially with the discipline.
            Definitely agree that this will be a long season if we cannot get it together. We're no stranger to defensive meltdowns in front of our own net, the difference last year between our meltdown this year is that Hjelle was in net and saved us. We can't continue to hang Olson and Tomkins out to dry.

Comment

Bobby Mo is at home this weekend with Niagra. They played a series last weekend with Lake Superior State and lost both games 3-1. Niagra lost a series with Clarkson but won over Canisius 6-4. It will be interesting to see how that shakes out this weekend.

Hopefully we take the next 10 day to regroup and refocus.

Comment

Anyone see what happened to Tanner Fritz? All I saw was him go off after maybe his 2nd shift and appeared to be moving alright as he walked into the tunnel. I assumed maybe an equipment issue but I was obviously wrong. On a side note, how is BG able to serve beer at the games?

Comment

Originally posted by Blackhawk56 View Post
                  Anyone see what happened to Tanner Fritz? All I saw was him go off after maybe his 2nd shift and appeared to be moving alright as he walked into the tunnel. I assumed maybe an equipment issue but I was obviously wrong. On a side note, how is BG able to serve beer at the games?
                  Upper body injury is all that I can find out today. Rohlik was quoted as saying no timetable for his return. I saw the beer too, and was shocked. The Schott sells beer, but only on Club Level or down in The Boardroom.
                  Last edited by GreyGhost; 10-16-2013, 02:02 PM.

Comment

We started selling beer at football games last year. This is the first year for hockey. There aren't any regulations against selling it as long as you have a license.

Comment

A sad note, George Burke, former assistant coach with Ohio State's hockey team and a person who was there in our beginnings is reported to be in very poor health and fading.
                      Here's some reference to him below. Prayers to George & the family!
                      http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=13406

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                        All the Miami games vs former WCHA members were played in non conference action. Correct? Sorry your in for a rude awakening when you visit the likes of The Ralp. The days of sleeping walking through the conference are over.
                        I don't hear anyone at Miami expecting otherwise. Miami chose its conference and knows it will be different and very difficult. When you add Wisconsin, Providence, and OSU out of conference, MU deserves credit for a difficult schedule, IMO. I guess if Miami sleep walked through the CCHA, then UM, MSU, Notre Dame, OSU etc. must have also. By the way, sorry to inject this here. Just wanted to respond.

Comment

Got the word that George passed. He will be at the Novak Funeral Home - http://www.novakfuneralhome.com/
                          George was one of the Founding Fathers of Ohio State hockey and a great guy. Anyone who wants to pay respects or send condolences I'm sure the family would be appreciative that our fans are grateful for George's contributions and legacy to our program.

Comment

Redhawk95....Are you watching this game? North Dakota? Hmmmm. Just as I predicted. 3-0

Comment

Three, three, three...we want MORE goals! Sieve, sieve, sieve, sieve! It's all your fault

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGhost View Post
                                Three, three, three...we want MORE goals! Sieve, sieve, sieve, sieve! It's all your fault
                                4-2! I wanna know, ow ow ow, if you'll be my girl!

Comment

Working...
                                X