PDA

View Full Version : Spreading Hockey in NYC - 9 Rink Complex Coming To The Bronx

du78
04-24-2013, 08:53 AM
Mayor Bloomberg announced yesterday that the vacant Kingsbridge Armory in The Bronx will be turned into a 9-rink ice skating complex that will be known as the Kingsbridge National Ice Center. Rumors are that the NY Islanders will use it as their practice facility when they move to Brooklyn. This is a massive 750,000 square foot building located just south of the Lehman College campus and about a 1/2 west of Fordham University.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/bronx-site-world-largest-indoor-ice-hockey-complex-article-1.1325130

ExileOnDaytonStreet
04-24-2013, 10:23 AM
Naturally, one assumes that the most likely New York school to add hockey (if it were to ever somehow happen) would be the Ivy League school. However, according to google maps, Kingsbridge Armory is about 6.9 miles from the Columbia campus. If I know New Yorkers like I think I do, that means that it might as well be in Delaware.

And, for the record, the only other Ivy without a program (Penn) has a rink and they dropped their program years ago. I don't know if the rink is a dump, but from what I've read it even has a seating capacity larger than some other Ivy rinks.

northeastern
04-24-2013, 10:28 AM
..actually Fordham U. is nearby as stated.. pretty logical for them as well.

KnightsOfTheRound
04-24-2013, 11:04 AM
This makes the Bronx boy inside of me so very happy. If they build this, I cannot wait to see it someday. It looks nothing less than amazing.

Patman
04-24-2013, 11:11 AM
For college a lot will come down to how many seats one dedicated rink will have... If you get say 4000 seats in one then there is potential. IMO, I'd have to think there would be a market for cheap hockey in that area

northeastern
04-24-2013, 11:15 AM
..i read somewhere, they were thinking of about 5000 seats for the main rink.

KnightsOfTheRound
04-24-2013, 11:17 AM
For college a lot will come down to how many seats one dedicated rink will have... If you get say 4000 seats in one then there is potential. IMO, I'd have to think there would be a market for cheap hockey in that area

The "main" rink will have seating for ~5,000. Plenty big for college hockey.

source: http://www.mikebloomberg.com/index.cfm?objectid=37195847-C29C-7CA2-FF1E2AF19E658D62

Osorojo
04-24-2013, 11:27 AM
We may be missing the main point here. Within a couple of miles of this proposed rink complex there are several million youngsters who will be given access to ice time and hockey programs. Talent does not depend upon nationality or race or political boundaries. With all respect to upper mid-west elitists, the odds are this new complex will become a gold mine of DI recruits. This and the larger fan base will not harm DI hockey.
"E pur, si muove."

northeastern
04-24-2013, 11:33 AM
..Within a couple of miles of this proposed rink complex there are several million youngsters who will be given access to ice time and hockey programs. Talent does not depend upon nationality or race or political boundaries. With all respect to upper mid-west elitists, the odds are this new complex will become a gold mine of DI recruits..

..that's a good point.

ExileOnDaytonStreet
04-24-2013, 11:34 AM
..actually Fordham U. is nearby as stated.. pretty logical for them as well.I suppose Fordham would be more likely to add hockey than the school that I was mixing them up with (Hofstra). I knew that there was a relatively well known NYC school that was dropping sports, and I got those two mixed up.

Still... one would think that the Ivy League school would be more likely to add something if there were easy enough access to a rink.

We may be missing the main point here. Within a couple of miles of this proposed rink complex there are several million youngsters who will be given access to ice time and hockey programs. Talent does not depend upon nationality or race or political boundaries. With all respect to upper mid-west elitists, the odds are this new complex will become a gold mine of DI recruits. This and the larger fan base will not harm DI hockey.
"E pur, si muove."Fair point. Anything that gets kids playing hockey is good for the sport.

FlagDUDE08
04-24-2013, 11:44 AM
..that's a good point.

This is signature worthy. :eek:

blackswampboy
04-24-2013, 11:51 AM
"E pur, si muove."

kids from westchester, sure. but it won't be many bronx kids, unless there's a lot of money on the table every year for equipment and ice time.
the building is mighty impressive, but success will come down to the nuts & bolts of operation... they're gonna have to be creative & clever in running the place.

FlagDUDE08
04-24-2013, 01:39 PM
kids from westchester, sure. but it won't be many bronx kids, unless there's a lot of money on the table every year for equipment and ice time.
the building is mighty impressive, but success will come down to the nuts & bolts of operation... they're gonna have to be creative & clever in running the place.

It's also possible that someone who has played in the area is feeling philanthropic. Have you ever heard of "Hasek's Heroes" in Buffalo, which gives lower income families a chance for their kids to play hockey?

du78
04-24-2013, 03:52 PM
It's also possible that someone who has played in the area is feeling philanthropic. Have you ever heard of "Hasek's Heroes" in Buffalo, which gives lower income families a chance for their kids to play hockey?

Same thing with the "Ice Hockey in Harlem" program which the Rangers are one of the sponsors. I could see that program expanding into this new venue and growing.

http://www.icehockeyinharlem.org/

joecct
04-24-2013, 04:13 PM
Naturally, one assumes that the most likely New York school to add hockey (if it were to ever somehow happen) would be the Ivy League school. However, according to google maps, Kingsbridge Armory is about 6.9 miles from the Columbia campus. If I know New Yorkers like I think I do, that means that it might as well be in Delaware.

And, for the record, the only other Ivy without a program (Penn) has a rink and they dropped their program years ago. I don't know if the rink is a dump, but from what I've read it even has a seating capacity larger than some other Ivy rinks.Penn dropped their varsity program after the 77-78(?) season. They have an ACHA team now.

The Class of '23 rink is a concrete box that is not bad. Good sightlines. Saw a 12-10 game there (D-I) many years ago.

ADK11
04-25-2013, 01:23 PM
the building is mighty impressive, but success will come down to the nuts & bolts of operation... they're gonna have to be creative & clever in running the place.You obviously don't know much about this part of the Bronx, or Westchester for that matter. Kingsbridge is a middle class neighborhood and nearby Riverdale and Marble Hill are pretty affluent. Overall this is a nice section of the Bronx with a lot parks, the NYC Botanical Gardens and several colleges. Yonkers & Mount Vernon in Westchester are in tougher shape then some of this area. Yes, there are plenty of poor people and bad areas in the Bronx, but there is no reason that a youth hockey program can't offer some financial help, donated equipment, etc. to encourage kids to play who wouldn't normally have the resources. Overall this sounds like a great idea, though you have to wonder how the economics would work with 9 rinks going.

Ralph Baer
04-25-2013, 01:33 PM
You obviously don't know much about this part of the Bronx, or Westchester for that matter. Kingsbridge is a middle class neighborhood and nearby Riverdale and Marble Hill are pretty affluent. Overall this is a nice section of the Bronx with a lot parks, the NYC Botanical Gardens and several colleges. Yonkers & Mount Vernon in Westchester are in tougher shape then some of this area. Yes, there are plenty of poor people and bad areas in the Bronx, but there is no reason that a youth hockey program can't offer some financial help, donated equipment, etc. to encourage kids to play who wouldn't normally have the resources. Overall this sounds like a great idea, though you have to wonder how the economics would work with 9 rinks going. I haven't been past there since I graduated HS in 1964 (been a while ;) ). It's right at the Kingsbridge Road station of the Jerome Avenue El, directly south of Lehman College (formerly NYU-uptown).

blackswampboy
04-25-2013, 01:43 PM
You obviously don't know much about this part of the Bronx, or Westchester for that matter. Kingsbridge is a middle class neighborhood and nearby Riverdale and Marble Hill are pretty affluent. Overall this is a nice section of the Bronx with a lot parks, the NYC Botanical Gardens and several colleges. Yonkers & Mount Vernon in Westchester are in tougher shape then some of this area. Yes, there are plenty of poor people and bad areas in the Bronx, but there is no reason that a youth hockey program can't offer some financial help, donated equipment, etc. to encourage kids to play who wouldn't normally have the resources. Overall this sounds like a great idea, though you have to wonder how the economics would work with 9 rinks going.

I haven't been to the Bronx for years, and certainly not intending to dump on it. but as you say...9 rinks is a lot, and funding is always an issue.
good to hear about the programs for letting city kids play hockey. wish it nothing but success.

genecarr
04-25-2013, 02:12 PM
"E pur, si muove."

I read that there will be something similar to the Ed Snider Youth Hockey Foundation (http://www.esyhf.org/default.asp) included as part of the overall mission. I detest the Flyers but this is a very good program, and I'd love to see it succeed in the Bronx.