This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LSSU hockey 2013-14

Last thread was maxed out. Time to start a new one.
    LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Re: LSSU hockey 2013-14

Only way the Laker program is going to change is if Roque changes the program .

Comment

Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
      Why do you post the same thing over and over? It's like listening to a parrot....or the Truth Sisters....

Comment

DM2SM & Sm2pk........regarding your last few posts before the last threat expired, so what is the point that you are trying to make?

Comment

Originally posted by DopeyBaker View Post
          Why do you post the same thing over and over? It's like listening to a parrot....or the Truth Sisters....
          Dopey,I guess I can't keep writing over and over again how much I love Roque as you do and Fricker the point is no matter what talent Roque brings in,he won't win with the coaching style he has brought to the table.

Comment

Dopey,I guess I can't keep writing over and over again how much I love Roque as you do and Fricker the point is no matter what talent Roque brings in,he won't win with the coaching style he has brought to the table.
            I have made over 300 posts. Show me one in which I said I loved Roque.

Comment

Only way Michigan program is going to change is if Berenson changes the program.

Only way MSU program is going to change is if Anastos changes the program.

Only way NMU program is going to change is if Kyle changes the program.

etc., etc., ad nauseum........

Comment

Year 9 of Jim Roque will be the best one yet! He deserves that three year contract extension because of his record, merit and character, not because of a donor and his conditions for donating the money. With the players they have coming back, the recruits, new league, I think Lake Superior is in for a top four finish and an NCAA birth.

Comment

First, let me say I am perversely proud that we Lakers fans are interested enough in our program to max out two different threads in les than 18 months. Nice job. Even Truthy (who I long ago blocked but who appears to still be lurking around) has added to the discussion tally.

Second, I just wanted to clear up any confusion with Fricker -- a hockey person who I respect. Scott Borek is a very good hockey mind and a solid recruiter. Scott Borek was incompetent, in my estimation, because he was unable to win at LSSU. I do not believe him entirely incompetent, and in fact he has been a success everywhere he has gone -- except at LSSU. And it is his tenure at LSSU which I label as incompetent. I do not agree with the empty-cupboard allegeations. Borek inherited a different sort of Laker, that is true. Jackson et. al. were bringing in speed to replace grinders. Joe Blaznek, Jason Sessa, Bryan Fuss, Terry Marchant, Ben Keup, Jeff Cheeseman -- all had speed to spare. AND we haven't even looked at guys like George, Teddy Blueline, Gino Pulente, etc . . . Sorry, that is NOT a bare cupboard. That is at least two solid lines of high-end college talent. And when the bottom fell out in Borek's second year, almost all of thse players were still at LSSU. Borek was unable to take this stable of players to the next level -- and he was equally unable to replace them.

Third, my feelings toward JJ are similar to a small market team that loses a super-star to free agency. And while he may have left at the right time for him -- it was the worst time for LSSU, right in the middle of the Great Transition for the college game from the late-80's-early-90s size game (at least in the West) towards the speed game. North Dakota, Denver, CC, Minnesota, Miami -- they al made the transition at this time to an uptempo speed game. LSSU was perfectly poised to follow the leaders, and be a leader. Jackson left us hanging, and his hand-picked replacement didn't do the job.

I contend, and others can and will argue against this idea -- but I contend that the transition to the speed game in college hockey (in the West) had a bigger impact on LSSU than the NCAA Clearinghouse.
                  Last edited by Lakerblue; 04-22-2013, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FRICKER View Post
                    DM2SM & Sm2pk........regarding your last few posts before the last threat expired, so what is the point that you are trying to make?
                    My point was that I, like many others in the Soo, were active in the Laker Hockey Blue Liners twenty years ago and a large part of our personal lives and friends evolved around Laker Hockey for many years. My point is that I like many others in the Soo are friends with all the people you talk about. My point is that most of my kind are no longer deeply involved in Laker Hockey not because of how good or bad the program is on the ice but because of the drama created by the people you support. My point is I like reading this thread to stay CURRENT on Laker Hockey because I was involved in supporting the team passionately in the past. My point is that you can’t change the past by making comments like you and others make that try to make people something they never were. My point is I was trying to politely correct you without talking about the past because it does nothing to help the future. If you would like to get into details that have no current bearing on Laker Hockey feel free as I personally know many of the people that know you from when your son played for the Lakers.

Comment

The word "incompetence" brings with it a level of negativity reserved for special uses. Scott Borek was unsuccessful at LSSU, but I personally refrain from calling him incompetent. I don't know a whole lot about him, but he seems to be successful everywhere but LSSU.

Jeff Jackson left for greener pastures. 9 out of 10 times, a coach in a similar situation does the same thing. Can't fault them for wanting to move up. It's the next guy's job to pick up the pieces or steady the ship and Scott Borek didn't do that for us. Did JJ burn some bridges before he left? I have no idea. If he did, then I understand the bitter feelings. I can't fault a guy for moving on, even though it was bad, bad news for LSSU Hockey.

To those jumping ship to the Eagles/Hounds: Does the quality of hockey mean nothing? Sure the Eagles are winning, but the level of play at the collegiate level is WAY better than the NAHL. A flat-footed Lakers team would destroy any NAHL on any night. If the Lakers were in single-digit win territory, I could fathom such a switch being made, but we're not even close to that. Not to mention, how long do you think they are going to be around? The Eagles are owned by a private individual who knew before the season there is absolutely no way to make a profit on that team. Their equipment costs combined with travel are in no way covered by ticket sales and advertising. How long will this owner's "Hobby" go before he sells to the highest bidder? I hope I am wrong, but no good businessman holds on to a losing investment, no matter how much he enjoys it. And that guy is a good businessman.

Comment

Originally posted by DM2SM View Post
                        My point is I was trying to politely correct you without talking about the past because it does nothing to help the future.
                        Well said, well said!

Comment

What changes can be made to improve the Laker hockey experience this coming year?

Comment

Originally posted by Truth Squad
                            A new coach

The Truth Is Out There....
                            TBA
                            Send a check to the university for $600,000 so LSSU can get a top notch coach and dump Roque.
                            LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
                              Send a check to the university for $600,000 so LSSU can get a top notch coach and dump Roque.
                              A portion of that would be matched by the Back to the Attack fund. What a bonus!

Comment

Working...
                              X