This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Truth Squad View Post
    I'm not a psychic but the last 8 seasons with this coach at the helm might be the first clue. I know it is hard for a lot of you people up there to comprehend who want to block reality and defend this administration year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year despite eight seasons of lower half of the standings finishes, second half collapses, inconsistent play from Friday to Saturday, conditioning issues, dwindling attendance, playoff crowds in the hundreds, star players as scapegoats disappearing off of rosters, and excuse after excuse after excuse after excuse after excuse after excuse after excuse. Do your name calling and spew your vitriol, cause you Roque apologists with blinders on can't argue any of those points that you get tired of hearing.

The Truth Is Out There....
    TBA
    the last 8 haven't been good, but they are waaaaay better than the previous four. Now come on genius, offer us a head coaching selection that will (A) be guaranteed to improve the win-loss percentage (B) Accept the peanuts that LSSU pays its head coach (C) accept the peanuts they pay their assistants and (D) get great players with this recruiting budget that loads them up with NAHL (not good enough for the USHL) players and those guys from Ontario Tier II leagues which are generally known as the worst of Canadian TIER II. A new coach would be great. Now who should it be? Between your two identities, you girls should be able to come up with a reasonable suggestion.

Comment

• Re: LSSU hockey 2013-14

How can ayone say the #109 scorer in the Nahl has more upside than the top scorer, several games the Eagles played against Port Huron miller was a healthy scratch.If Miller can not crack the Port Huron line up every night how can he help the Lakers? Also Angus was described as tenacius and tough as nails in the press release.Tenacious at what?Tough as nails?He had 2 minutes in penalties in 59 games. That is one tough as nails and tenacious player. Must be saving that portion of his game for when he becomes a laker.

Comment

I heard TJ Weiss is leaving sick of roques bull****, and lies!

Comment

Originally posted by RapidsCity View Post
          Now come on genius, offer us a head coaching selection that will (A) be guaranteed to improve the win-loss percentage (B) Accept the peanuts that LSSU pays its head coach (C) accept the peanuts they pay their assistants and (D) get great players with this recruiting budget that loads them up with NAHL (not good enough for the USHL) players and those guys from Ontario Tier II leagues which are generally known as the worst of Canadian TIER II. A new coach would be great. Now who should it be? Between your two identities, you girls should be able to come up with a reasonable suggestion.
          I can't think of any new coach that will guarantee your four criteria. I guess we have the only coach that can lose 20 games at low pay for he and his staff and recruit weak leagues.
          But since Mr. 3dognight said that we are now funded in the upper half of the new WCHA and the University increased the budget for at least recruiting a while back and our players seem to be good enough to sign contracts prior to graduating then all we simple folk can consider that maybe a coaching change could right the ship. Mr/Mrs Rapid City, you have to be honest. The biggest weakness in our program is the coach. We have had players. We collapse EVERY year. That is the coaching. Now as I have said before, a major part of the program at LSSU is budgetary and coach Roque brought in a $5M donor. He has done his part to improve the university. it just hasn't been on the ice.

Comment

Lakers have no one coming back next season worth even talking about. The goalies are a bit better than most on the team but overall, Lake State will be in trouble in a weaker league . The Lakers lost more games this year than any year that Roque has been coaching and that isn't a step in the right direction . Four of the top seven scorers are gone and the three remaining are not anything to write home about . Roque needs to bring in a consultant and have him figure out Roques coaching methods and make changes where changes are needed.

Comment

Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
              Lakers have no one coming back next season worth even talking about. The goalies are a bit better than most on the team but overall, Lake State will be in trouble in a weaker league . The Lakers lost more games this year than any year that Roque has been coaching and that isn't a step in the right direction . Four of the top seven scorers are gone and the three remaining are not anything to write home about . Roque needs to bring in a consultant and have him figure out Roques coaching methods and make changes where changes are needed.
              Facts in a vacuum can be misleading:

FACT: The Lakers lost more games this past season than any other that Roque has been head coach.

FACT: The Lakers won more games this past season than all but 2 of the years that Roque has been head coach

FACT: The Lakers last two seasons have been the 2nd and 3rd winningiest of Jim Roque's tenure

See what I mean?

No one coming back next season is worth talking about?? Well I'd like to say a few positive words about the 3 returning scorers from the top 7 that you claim are "nothing to write home about"

-Radke was 2nd in assists and 3rd in points and was a goal shy of doubling both his goal and assist total from the previous season improving from 3-5-8 to 5-16-21

-Ciotti was 2nd on the team in goals and 4th in points, more than doubling his goal total from the previous season, from 5 to 11 and appears to be producing on par with what you would expect from a kid who was very prolific in the NAHL

-Sternberg had a meteoric offensive improvement going from 1-4-5 in 11-12 to 5-14-19 in 12-13.

Losing Monardo and McParland, who finished 1st and 2nd the past two seasons in scoring, will hurt immensely but the remaining 5 of the top 7 scorers you referenced finished 8th (Lain), 9th (Ciotti), 11th (Radke), 12th (Robinson), and 16th (Sternberg) in scoring the previous season raising their combined point total from 54 in 11-12 to 91 in 12-13, a 68% increase, so it's foolish to not acknowledge that there will undoubtedly be players who finished farther down the scoring list this year that will score more points next season.

I'm not saying I don't think the Lakers won't have their offensive woes but some reasons for offensive optimism include:
              - The aforementioned offensive progression of many Lakers, the type that Radke, Ciotti and Sternberg displayed last year
              - The return of Colin Campbell for a full season, Campbell has been one of the most talented Laker forwards when he has been healthy, even on teams with teammates that are now playing professionally.

-Matt Johnson being able to play after a year at LSSU but not on the team due to NCAA Clearinghouse issues. Johnson is a large physical presence who displayed a scoring touch in juniors. The last player in his situation for LSSU was McParland and he tunred into a major offensive contributor, hopefully Johnson can as well.

-The largest incoming freshman class since 10-11, there will be many holes to fill and plenty of ice time opportunities to go around, hopefully the plethora of chances will help the newbies relax and play their game to their potential. Sometimes when shots at playing time are few and far between when younger players do get on the ice they tend to press too much and don't play to their capability, hopefully that isn't the case this year and the youngest Lakers will be able to be counted on more consistently for offense than past Laker freshman classes have been.

Comment

Once again. There is no one coming back that is going to be much of a factor for this team outside maybe the two goalies. I don't care what Roque won . When you lose twenty one games in a season ,you are most likely near the bottom of the league and have no rankings and no hope of making the NCAAs . Ciotti is no factor . The second half of the season he scored three goals and two of those were against Bowling Green when those games were all but over . Campbell played nine games and was able to score zero goals . I know. The guy sat out most the season and coming back he just wasn't ready for game time. Roque will probably have one of the worse offensive teams coming back that he has had in his coaching career .

Stats are funny . Radke went from scoring 3 goals in 3 games the previous year of the regular season to scoring 4 goals in 3 games of this past season. I still see Radke as scoring in 3 games a year and that is not going to be a threat come next season for opposing teams.
                Last edited by sm2pk; 05-01-2013, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
                  Once again. There is no one coming back that is going to be much of a factor for this team outside maybe the two goalies. I don't care what Roque won . When you lose twenty one games in a season ,you are most likely near the bottom of the league and have no rankings and no hope of making the NCAAs . Ciotti is no factor . The second half of the season he scored three goals and two of those were against Bowling Green when those games were all but over . Campbell played nine games and was able to score zero goals . I know. The guy sat out most the season and coming back he just wasn't ready for game time. Roque will probably have one of the worse offensive teams coming back that he has had in his coaching career .
                  You're missing the point of Roque winning games, I was saying that to prove the point that facts in a vacuum don't tell the whole story....of course Roque is a poor coach but my point out of that was that the Lakers had a statistical anomaly last year by only tieing one game, which is far less than usual for a college hockey team and thus both win AND loss totals were inflated more than they would be normally cuz a team with only a single tie in a season is unheard of in the NCAA, and as such using a figure like the loss total in a vacuum to try to prove a point is flawed reasoning.

Ciotti dropped off the second half of the year, yes..but the first half of the season he was our best goal scorer, furthermore he was among the league scoring leaders in the NAHL; he totaled 5 goals as a freshman and 11 as a sophomore, both are very good totals for someone in those years of eligibility. To say that he will be "no factor" this season when he has played up to his billing thus far and has a significant offensive history thus far in his career is to simply ignore the facts.

Campbell scored 0 goals in 9 games....once again in a vacuum that looks poor but when you consider that he did have 3 assists and that his 9 games were at the end of the season when the opposition has almost a full season of ice time and playing experience while he had almost a full calendar year away from game conditions and was coming off an injury, there begins to emerge some logical expectations for lesser offensive numbers than we are used to from him. You think the Lakers will finish in the bottom of the standings this year? That's fine, You think the Lakers offense will be a rudderless ship? That's fine too, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but don't try to rationalize your predictions by making claims that are ignorant of factual information.

Comment

DM2SM & Rapidcity...............thanks you very much for making the point I have made over & over again - no ONE coach is a do all/end all. It takes a well balanced STAFF that compliments each other in recruiting, instructing, coaching, supervising, etc. Most head coaches, when they finally get a head coachng job, have spent more than their share of nights in a blizzard in Souix Falls scouting/recruiting and
                    let the young assistants beat the hushes and bring the prospects to the Soo for the coaches approval.
                    Aren't we beating a dead horse? There's no way that Lake Stae can afford to buy out Roque and there's no obvious heir apparent that would warrant it if they had the funds, but it's "OK" to keep wishing
                    and hoping......................

Comment

Originally posted by newt-ski View Post
                      I heard TJ Weiss is leaving sick of roques bull****, and lies!
                      Wees: 12 games played, 0 points, 12 penalty minutes. Maybe he just isn't a collegiate level player? Or we can just assume it's everyone else's fault.

Comment

Originally posted by AnchorsAway View Post
                        You're missing the point of Roque winning games, I was saying that to prove the point that facts in a vacuum don't tell the whole story....of course Roque is a poor coach but my point out of that was that the Lakers had a statistical anomaly last year by only tieing one game, which is far less than usual for a college hockey team and thus both win AND loss totals were inflated more than they would be normally cuz a team with only a single tie in a season is unheard of in the NCAA, and as such using a figure like the loss total in a vacuum to try to prove a point is flawed reasoning.

Ciotti dropped off the second half of the year, yes..but the first half of the season he was our best goal scorer, furthermore he was among the league scoring leaders in the NAHL; he totaled 5 goals as a freshman and 11 as a sophomore, both are very good totals for someone in those years of eligibility. To say that he will be "no factor" this season when he has played up to his billing thus far and has a significant offensive history thus far in his career is to simply ignore the facts.

Campbell scored 0 goals in 9 games....once again in a vacuum that looks poor but when you consider that he did have 3 assists and that his 9 games were at the end of the season when the opposition has almost a full season of ice time and playing experience while he had almost a full calendar year away from game conditions and was coming off an injury, there begins to emerge some logical expectations for lesser offensive numbers than we are used to from him. You think the Lakers will finish in the bottom of the standings this year? That's fine, You think the Lakers offense will be a rudderless ship? That's fine too, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but don't try to rationalize your predictions by making claims that are ignorant of factual information.
                        Wasn't Ciotti hurt the 2nd half of the year. I remember Roque saying at one of the radio shows that whole line was banged-up pretty good at one point.

Comment

This whole team stinks. The players are bad, the coaches are bad, the admin is bad. LSSU should just close up shop and stick with club hockey. No point in having a team when everyone is this bad. They couldn't beat the Soo Eagles any night of the week they are so bad. Next year they are poised to finish dead last in the nWCHA and will get beat 5-0 by UAA every time. They will be lucky to have 1 ten point scorer.

The BS Is Out There...
                          TBA

Comment

Originally posted by Lakers2Glory View Post
                            This whole team stinks. The players are bad, the coaches are bad, the admin is bad. LSSU should just close up shop and stick with club hockey. No point in having a team when everyone is this bad. They couldn't beat the Soo Eagles any night of the week they are so bad. Next year they are poised to finish dead last in the nWCHA and will get beat 5-0 by UAA every time. They will be lucky to have 1 ten point scorer.

The BS Is Out There...
                            TBA
                            I think the AD has probably done a decent job and hats off to the university for committing itself to a 10 year program to improve the teams performance .

Comment

Originally posted by Lakers2Glory View Post
                              Wees: 12 games played, 0 points, 12 penalty minutes. Maybe he just isn't a collegiate level player? Or we can just assume it's everyone else's fault.
                              I think he was brought in two years ago as a recruited walk-on to give the Lakers 8 D-men, which is what Roque likes to have. I doubt he was expected to be a point producer; that would have been a bonus. They basically took a small gamble on him.

I guess the question is do we want LSSU to have the reputation of cutting players, even if they're not the guys who normally play every game? In the past, pretty much all schools tried to stay away from getting that reputation. Unfortunately, cutting players is getting to be more common. It probably doesn't hurt the bigger profile programs very much to kind of get that type of reputation, although other programs can use that as a weapon in their recruiting pitches. I tend to think it would be worse for any smaller school to get that reputation; they have a tough enough recruiting battle as it is. I'm not a fan of cutting college players unless there is a very good reason for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                                I think he was brought in two years ago as a recruited walk-on to give the Lakers 8 D-men, which is what Roque likes to have. I doubt he was expected to be a point producer; that would have been a bonus. They basically took a small gamble on him.

I guess the question is do we want LSSU to have the reputation of cutting players, even if they're not the guys who normally play every game? In the past, pretty much all schools tried to stay away from getting that reputation. Unfortunately, cutting players is getting to be more common. It probably doesn't hurt the bigger profile programs very much to kind of get that type of reputation, although other programs can use that as a weapon in their recruiting pitches. I tend to think it would be worse for any smaller school to get that reputation; they have a tough enough recruiting battle as it is. I'm not a fan of cutting college players unless there is a very good reason for it.
                                I agree. I would highly doubt he was "cut", though. I would guess it was more of a "not happy with the amount of playing time" situation and that wasn't going to change. Rarely has any LSSU coach outright cut a player for anything other than discipline or academic reasons.

Comment

Working...
                                X