This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DM2SM
    You can continue to say this but Mr. 3dognight has addressed this issue multiple times by stating that the University met requests made by the donors to increase the Lakers recruiting budget. Mr. 3dognight posted possibly two years ago that the Lakers recruiting budget was "now" in the upper portion of the "then" CCHA. This included MU, UM, MSU, ND, OSU, WMU etc.
    Coach Roque was given what the donors perceived was needed to compete nationally included private goaltending clinics etc. If someone wants to debate inadequate recruiting with the upper level budget that has been given then that's valid but to say we have the smallest recruiting budget is wrong according to private individuals that said they would put substantial money into the program if the University showed an increased commitment. The University has met their part of the deal.
    The real discussion is what improvements have we seen with the program enhancements. We lost over twenty games last year. Also, I think if Coach Roque was offered an assistant coaching position with Buffalo he would be gone. I don't doubt that Coach Rolston gave Coach Roque an job opportunity so that he could leave LSSU but not a coaching position and that's why he stayed.
    So you think those improvements in budget will have already shown huge jumps in the standings? You're lucky if last years freshman class and this years incoming freshmen are affected. And if that budget were increased to the level of NMU, BGSU or Bemidji, why would you expect to be above NMU or Bemidii just two years in? Wait, you did finish above NMU & BG & Bemidji. They've said the new budget would put them at the midpoint of the new WCHA, not the old CCHA. Of the the old CCHA teams now in the WCHA, LSSU finished right in the middle, 3rd of 5, of the other 4, Tech, Huntsville and Bemidji finished below LSSU. When you add it a up, LSSU's record last year was 4th best of of the 10 new WCHA teams. I guess that puts them around the midpoint they desired.
    Last edited by davyd83; 07-02-2013, 06:08 PM.
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Re: LSSU hockey 2013-14

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
      So you think those improvements in budget will have already shown huge jumps in the standings? You're lucky if last years freshman class and this years incoming freshmen are affected. And if that budget were increased to the level of NMU, BGSU or Bemidji, why would you expect to be above NMU or Bemidii just two years in? Wait, you did finish above NMU & BG & Bemidji. They've said the new budget would put them at the midpoint of the new WCHA, not the old CCHA. Of the the old CCHA teams now in the WCHA, LSSU finished right in the middle, 3rd of 5, of the other 4, Tech, Huntsville and Bemidji finished below LSSU. When you add it a up, LSSU's record last year was 4th best of of the 10 new WCHA teams. I guess that puts them around the midpoint they desired.
      First of all my comments are not to bash anyone except those that make incorrect comments such as those made about our budget. Yes our coaches salaries are low but to my understanding the University has addressed other areas and the rest is fine. It bothers me to continue to hear people settle for, “you get what you pay for”. The Coach Roque supporters should be thankful because by not upping the coaches salaries the University is intentionally or unintentionally saving Coach Roque’s. In most everyone’s opinion it’s not money that is at the root of LSSU’s problem and I’ll leave it at that.
      Secondly you are wrong regarding the comments made by Mr. 3dognight. They referenced the CCHA at the time and were made prior to the Big 10 announcement and with or without the added money I, like most, don’t think recruiting has been at the source of our problems.
      Third, yes we beat your Wildcats on the last game of the season to move ahead of them and BGSU in the final standings but you were at the game and I listened to it on radio and it sounded to me like the only chances we had to score were when your Wildcats were on the power play and our goaltender was first star and stole the game. Yes we won the game or maybe better put, stole the game that kept us from a tenth place finish but we did win and that’s what counts. I would be willing to trade coaching staffs with you if you are interested! Taking your comments a step further, and assuming that the increased recruiting dollars will show more as time goes on, I guess it’s safe to say that we will again finish above your Wilcat’s, BSU, BGSU and oh yes MTU. With UAH and UAA expected to be below us that leaves us in a battle for second or third place and possibly a challenge for the nWCHA title. I am already excited.

Comment

I don't care what you pay a coach. if that coach has any pride he will try and win no matter what the salary and if he does win with a low salary , it opens the door for better pay days down the road . Lakers are not losing from what they pay Roque . The Lakers are losing because for most players there seems to be to little improvement over 4 years . I would hope any coach being paid big money or little money would have drive to be a winner.

Comment

• Originally posted by DM2SM View Post
          First of all my comments are not to bash anyone except those that make incorrect comments such as those made about our budget. Yes our coaches salaries are low but to my understanding the University has addressed other areas and the rest is fine. It bothers me to continue to hear people settle for, “you get what you pay for”. The Coach Roque supporters should be thankful because by not upping the coaches salaries the University is intentionally or unintentionally saving Coach Roque’s. In most everyone’s opinion it’s not money that is at the root of LSSU’s problem and I’ll leave it at that.
          Secondly you are wrong regarding the comments made by Mr. 3dognight. They referenced the CCHA at the time and were made prior to the Big 10 announcement and with or without the added money I, like most, don’t think recruiting has been at the source of our problems.
          Third, yes we beat your Wildcats on the last game of the season to move ahead of them and BGSU in the final standings but you were at the game and I listened to it on radio and it sounded to me like the only chances we had to score were when your Wildcats were on the power play and our goaltender was first star and stole the game. Yes we won the game or maybe better put, stole the game that kept us from a tenth place finish but we did win and that’s what counts. I would be willing to trade coaching staffs with you if you are interested! Taking your comments a step further, and assuming that the increased recruiting dollars will show more as time goes on, I guess it’s safe to say that we will again finish above your Wilcat’s, BSU, BGSU and oh yes MTU. With UAH and UAA expected to be below us that leaves us in a battle for second or third place and possibly a challenge for the nWCHA title. I am already excited.
          The new league should be very wide open and unpredictable when it comes to the standings. Other than Mankato the likely favorite and Anchorage and Huntsville near the bottom, anyone could finish anywhere.
          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
            I don't care what you pay a coach. if that coach has any pride he will try and win no matter what the salary and if he does win with a low salary , it opens the door for better pay days down the road . Lakers are not losing from what they pay Roque . The Lakers are losing because for most players there seems to be to little improvement over 4 years . I would hope any coach being paid big money or little money would have drive to be a winner.
            you are absolutely right. I don't doubt that Roque has coached to the best of his ability. I just doubt his ability. As far as the salary goes, you don't get filet mignon when you pay for chuck steak. Nor should you expect it. As for the improved recruiting budget, it's too soon to tell what effect that will have. Even if it put us near the midpoint if the old CCHA, one must remember the huge disparity that existed between teams like Michigan and teams like LSSU and NMU. Is that "midpoint" based on dollars spent (I.e. the top spends $500k the bottom spends $100 so the midpoint would be $300,000) or would it be equal to what the #6 or 7 spenders put out there? That could be a significant difference. Whatever the case, I'm not holding out a lot of hope for a top 4 finish. Two guys who likely would have been impact players left early for the pro contacts and the top scorer graduated. Goals will be scarce. So will wins.

Comment

Whatever the budgets of the nWCHA teams are, chances if stealing too many of the high end recruits from Minnesota or Michigan or Notre Dame or Miami are not good. Where the smaller schools can succeed is in finding the players that those schools offer partial scholarships and have them buried under a mountain of other talent, and giving them a full ride and a greater chance to play. The improved budgets allow recruiters to better identify those types of players by seeing more if them more often at the junior levels.

Comment

I am finding it hard to believe that Huntsville hasn't come up with a coach yet .

Comment

Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
                  I am finding it hard to believe that Huntsville hasn't come up with a coach yet .
                  Kleinendorst didn't resign until a little over a month ago, so they haven't been searching that long yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill View Post
                    Kleinendorst didn't resign until a little over a month ago, so they haven't been searching that long yet.
                    I believe they set Mid July as a target to have a new coach in place. Not many names have been confirmed. D-3 Adrian coach Fogarty, Rockford AHL Assistant Steve Poapst and UAF Assistant and UAH Alum Lance West all seem to be in the mix along with Denver Asst Mike Corbett and Robert Morris coach Derek Schooley.
                    Last edited by davyd83; 07-03-2013, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Well we are into July now, has there been any signs of movement around the Norris Center for the renovations??

Comment

Originally posted by AnchorsAway View Post
                        Well we are into July now, has there been any signs of movement around the Norris Center for the renovations??
                        Not a thing.
                        LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Originally posted by Lakers2Glory View Post
                          Tickets officially go on sale next Monday, July 8th. There were some last minute changes to the schedule that were not completed in time to get it going by July 1, as usual.
                          Thanks for the info. LSSU should have a press release about season tickets and the finalized schedule later this week.
                          LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Originally posted by Pink Pony View Post
                            Mankato is going to be clear favorite.
                            With how the NCAA and league tournaments played out last season, I am not sure it is a good thing to be the clear favorite going into the season.

Comment

Originally posted by AnchorsAway View Post
                              Supposedly the project was to receive full funding in July and plans were to be released but per usual there is no indication of any thing happening. Don't expect to much from this project as I suspect that if any contributions/donations are to be made, they will be very minor.

Comment

Originally posted by jnacc View Post
                                Supposedly the project was to receive full funding in July and plans were to be released but per usual there is no indication of any thing happening. Don't expect to much from this project as I suspect that if any contributions/donations are to be made, they will be very minor.
                                Was a certain date in July specified? Was July 1 the date? Because, looking at my calendar, there are still 28 days "in July." I don't think anyone is starting any major July projects until after the holiday weekend. I didn't even see "early July" "mid July" or "late July" specified. Just "in July."

Comment

Working...
                                X