This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LSSU hockey 2013-14

It is tough to adequately romote your only D1 team with a basketball focused AD and Milk-toast HC who hasn't connected with the student body. It should be a given that the AD shold focus on hockey as the Lakers flagship program, but that no longer is happening. At my alma mater, Clarkson, the university's sports year revolves around the Golden Knights hockey team. I think that Bill has said it bes, that winning solves many problems. IMO, it all boils down to having effective assistants that can lure blue chip talent to the Soo. The Soo, like Potsdam, NY, isn't exactly the "garden spot" location of D1 hockey. Unfortunately, whatever recruiting momentum that the Lakers had after our run of National Championships is long gone, and also whatever academic advantage we had pre-NCAA Clearinghouse is also gone. It's
    most definitely an uphill battle, but out-recruiting other schools and identifying late bloomers holds the key to winning. I have always said that the Head Coach oftentimes isn't the key player in the recruiting process, but it certainly can't hurt. One super-strong recruiting assistant, one solid assistant who mostly stays home and tends to X's & O's and player academice are the ingredients to a well rounded coaching staff. Does the Laker's staff meet theserequirements? I don't know them well enough to even have an opinion (surprised, eh?). Anyone want to comment?

Lakerblue........Thanks for the compliment acknowledging your resect for me as a hockey person - the respect is mutual. Regarding Borek, I disagree with your choice of words (incompetent). I would prefer "stubborn". He refused to take the personnel JJ left him and tailor his system to that talent rather than trying to "force fit" the talent into JJ's style of play. I agree with you that when Borek arrived, he had quite a bit of talent ot work with. If I implied that JJ left him less than D1 quality players, that's not what i meant to say. I based my comments that the last two years JJ brought in players who were different than the previous years that lead to the Championships, that comment was based soley on comments that Ron Rolston made to me while scouting the Compuware Junior "A" team at Oak Park Arena when I was their Director of Player Development. That was HIS opinion, NOT mine. We had a number of fowards who came to Lake State with gaudy scoring stats, pure goal scorers, who thrived in puck control systems, and they spent four years as Lakers doing "dump and dig". We NEVER carried the puck over the offensive blue line. Our defensemen NEVER were encouraged to rush the puck. It turned a creative D-man like Matt into an "off the glass robot" and ruined whatever NHL potential he had. Again, the comment i made was 100% based on the comment Ronny R made to me. OK? I think we've beat SB enough already................

Comment

oooooops............should be promote, not romote - sorry

Comment

Originally posted by FRICKER View Post
        It is tough to adequately romote your only D1 team with a basketball focused AD and Milk-toast HC who hasn't connected with the student body. It should be a given that the AD shold focus on hockey as the Lakers flagship program, but that no longer is happening. At my alma mater, Clarkson, the university's sports year revolves around the Golden Knights hockey team. I think that Bill has said it bes, that winning solves many problems. IMO, it all boils down to having effective assistants that can lure blue chip talent to the Soo. The Soo, like Potsdam, NY, isn't exactly the "garden spot" location of D1 hockey. Unfortunately, whatever recruiting momentum that the Lakers had after our run of National Championships is long gone, and also whatever academic advantage we had pre-NCAA Clearinghouse is also gone. It's
        most definitely an uphill battle, but out-recruiting other schools and identifying late bloomers holds the key to winning. I have always said that the Head Coach oftentimes isn't the key player in the recruiting process, but it certainly can't hurt. One super-strong recruiting assistant, one solid assistant who mostly stays home and tends to X's & O's and player academice are the ingredients to a well rounded coaching staff. Does the Laker's staff meet theserequirements? I don't know them well enough to even have an opinion (surprised, eh?). Anyone want to comment?

Lakerblue........Thanks for the compliment acknowledging your resect for me as a hockey person - the respect is mutual. Regarding Borek, I disagree with your choice of words (incompetent). I would prefer "stubborn". He refused to take the personnel JJ left him and tailor his system to that talent rather than trying to "force fit" the talent into JJ's style of play. I agree with you that when Borek arrived, he had quite a bit of talent ot work with. If I implied that JJ left him less than D1 quality players, that's not what i meant to say. I based my comments that the last two years JJ brought in players who were different than the previous years that lead to the Championships, that comment was based soley on comments that Ron Rolston made to me while scouting the Compuware Junior "A" team at Oak Park Arena when I was their Director of Player Development. That was HIS opinion, NOT mine. We had a number of fowards who came to Lake State with gaudy scoring stats, pure goal scorers, who thrived in puck control systems, and they spent four years as Lakers doing "dump and dig". We NEVER carried the puck over the offensive blue line. Our defensemen NEVER were encouraged to rush the puck. It turned a creative D-man like Matt into an "off the glass robot" and ruined whatever NHL potential he had. Again, the comment i made was 100% based on the comment Ronny R made to me. OK? I think we've beat SB enough already................
        I would say that recruiting isn't nearly our most pressing issue at the present time, I'd say it is undeniable that Lakers top level players now are much improved from their top level players 5 years ago....we are starting to bring in more players from the better leagues of North America and more are getting the opportunity to play professionally...The bigger issue as it stands with personnel is what we are doing with it, or the lack thereof. Roque is producing similar results with more high caliber players as he was with the talent-deprived rosters he had at the beginning of his tenure, which is one of my biggest problems with JR. If the past few teams had been more successful would it have enticed some of these players that left early to stay around longer as opposed to the current feeling that every year will inevitably result is a record within a few wins or losses of .500 and an early playoff exit? Who knows, but it is certainly possible. This is not to say that I wouldn't welcome even more talent than we have had the past few years but as of now I will hold off on complaining about recruiting until I think the LSSU coaching staff is getting everything possible out of the current stable of players.

Comment

Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
          Laker hockey game is like entering the death zone . More noise at a library .
          Evidently you've never attended a game at Munn Arena LOL... Gotta love your negativity. It's persistent and consistent

Comment

Originally posted by MeridianStreet View Post
            Evidently you've never attended a game at Munn Arena LOL... Gotta love your negativity. It's persistent and consistent
            I think what you really love is the fact you are kidding yourself about hockey at Lake State . That is great about Munn and I have been there a few times. If Munn can be dead,so can we..LOL
            Last edited by sm2pk; 04-24-2013, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MeridianStreet View Post
              Gotta love your negativity. It's persistent and consistent
              You people up there and on here call it negativity when a few people on a chat board, are even slightly critical of Jim Roque and the 8 years he has been coach. I guess intimidation may work up at that little college and village of yours, but it doesn't reach all channels now does it??? Your reactions are persistent and consistent, and downright laughable, much like 8 years of bottom of the standings finishes, second half collapses, playoff embarrassments, attendance and interest declining, playoff crowds in the hundreds, the constant list of excuses on why it went so wrong again. Persistent and consistent you uppers apologists are.

The Truth Is Out There....
              TBA

Comment

The way the last three seasons ended has many Laker fans very frustrated. Many of us can see the talent on the ice. We can see the quality players. We can see the game-plan. We see good passing and smart hockey play. And we also see those October-December periods where the Lakers LOOK as though, with a little push, they might become a real-live-honest-to-goodness top-half of the league team, and a ranked program.

Then comes February, and the tem falls into a tailspin.

That tailspin culminates with a dreadful playoff exit.

This year I had the most hope I've had in a decade -- and the last three games against BGSU were the worst Laker hockey games I have seen since Frank's second term.

So I am willing to stick my neck out a little bit and say that the players Coach Roque and his staff have brought to the team are pretty good players. And that is not based merely upon recent NHL defections. These are good players.

So I am not sure recruiting, or more to the point the recruiting budget, is hurting LSSU.

At this point, I am inclined to blame the game day coaching. I can't really pin-point what else to blame.

On another topic: I appreciate the views of the students of recently ex-students. I am aware that the campus Gestapo has spent the past five years in an all-out-war against Beer and music on campus. Not to sound like too-old of a crank, but in my day the saying was "The Fun Begins Where I-75 Ends." Not so anymore. And this has a direct impact on the atmosphere of the games.

Comment

jnacc - Your money is your money. If you feel it is better spent at the Eagles then the Lakers, I can't fault you for that. My hope is that the Lakers will give you a renewed vigor!

Roque isn't Frank in the sense that he goes door to door and asks students to come to games. He does attend some student events, though. He has given more than a few bucks to clubs such as the pep band to the investment club. It isn't the coaches job to get fans in the stands, it is to coach (Yes, I know we have been debating the coaching aspect). The AD and Administration need to step up and take responsibility for that. Since the Admin govern the entire school, I place most of that blame on them. Whether it be strict alcohol policies or preventing students from banging loud noisemakers, their policies need to change.

On a side note, what is with the huge negativity? It sounds worse in here than the Alaska Anchorage thread and they have no coach, little hope of finding a good one, and they won 4 games last year. WE WON 17 GAMES! I know its not championship caliber hockey, but it's not that bad either. I'm surprised most of you are still alive after the Frank2 years. Based on your rhetoric, I surprised you guys didn't jump off the International Bridge. It's not that bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Truth Squad View Post
                    You people up there and on here call it negativity when a few people on a chat board, are even slightly critical of Jim Roque and the 8 years he has been coach. I guess intimidation may work up at that little college and village of yours, but it doesn't reach all channels now does it??? Your reactions are persistent and consistent, and downright laughable, much like 8 years of bottom of the standings finishes, second half collapses, playoff embarrassments, attendance and interest declining, playoff crowds in the hundreds, the constant list of excuses on why it went so wrong again. Persistent and consistent you uppers apologists are.

The Truth Is Out There....
                    TBA
                    Buy a dictionary.

Comment

Originally posted by Lakers2Glory View Post
                      On a side note, what is with the huge negativity? It sounds worse in here than the Alaska Anchorage thread and they have no coach, little hope of finding a good one, and they won 4 games last year. WE WON 17 GAMES! I know its not championship caliber hockey, but it's not that bad either. I'm surprised most of you are still alive after the Frank2 years. Based on your rhetoric, I surprised you guys didn't jump off the International Bridge. It's not that bad.
                      But it's not good either. I have no illusions about the program getting back to the glory days of the mid 80s to mid 90s and staying at that level. The game has changed considerably since then and it would be extremely difficult (maybe impossible, although I hesitate to use that word) for any (public) small school team to achieve that high level of play again for that length of time. Sure, the small schools still have a shot at the Frozen Four, witness Ferris last year and Bemidji a few years back, but to be a year in and year out NCAA tournament qualifier will be very tough for them.

In the case of the Lakers, the bar is probably set higher than many of the other smaller schools, especially those that have seldom made the NCAA tournament. That is to be expected given the past success of the program. I think Laker fan expectations should be that the team make at least occasional NCAA tournament appearances, finish in the top half of league standings more often than not, and even challenge for league titles at times. None of that is happening. Many Laker fans have become disenchanted. Why wouldn't we be. The Lakers have only made it to the Joe for the CCHA finals once in the last 15 or so years, the year Jakaitis was hot in net down the stretch. The talent level is increasing, but the level of play measured by on ice results hasn't matched that. The team is struggling to reach the .500 level even during their better seasons. Sorry, but that's just not good enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Lakers2Glory View Post
                        jnacc - Your money is your money. If you feel it is better spent at the Eagles then the Lakers, I can't fault you for that. My hope is that the Lakers will give you a renewed vigor!

Roque isn't Frank in the sense that he goes door to door and asks students to come to games. He does attend some student events, though. He has given more than a few bucks to clubs such as the pep band to the investment club. It isn't the coaches job to get fans in the stands, it is to coach (Yes, I know we have been debating the coaching aspect). The AD and Administration need to step up and take responsibility for that. Since the Admin govern the entire school, I place most of that blame on them. Whether it be strict alcohol policies or preventing students from banging loud noisemakers, their policies need to change.

Sorry. Those last two BGSU games really, really, really hurt. Bad hockey in an empty arena.

My sster had a friend who was living on campus when Frank was just getting the team rolling in the late-80's. He went door to door. And he didn't just stop and chat for a second. He would spend time talking to the students, one on one, about why their cheering at the hockey game mattered. And he sold it. And the students knew he meant what he said, even if maybe they mostly didn't believe him. But at the end of tense, crazy, loud games, when the students were cheering a stunning "LSSU shuld not win this game" victory, Frank would often point to the students. And the students would cheer louder. Why? He made everyone part of the team.

LSSU is small school (obviously). But that isn't the half of it. The Canadian students generally return to Ontario no later than 3:00 Friday afternoon. Its a small, tight-knit community. We all ate a the same place. We all generally ended up in many of the sme classes and many of the same parties. We all saw each other at the same bars. Frank, in the 80's (and I know that sounds like ancient history) made his hockey team a part of the student community. And I recall conversations about how the administration didn't like his tactics -- there were those who felt Frank was overstepping his authority; Frank was bypassing the AD's office by going directy to the students; It was WRONG for Frank to pur pressure on students in their dorms! Frank -- as we all know -- did not care.

Frank ignored all other sports, all other activities. If there was a D-I home hockey game, his opinion (at least it always seemed on the outside) was that you OWED it to the school and your community to be there, to be loud, to be proud.

Does LSSU need a dose of good old crazy-Frank boldness to inspire -- and remind -- the students that THEY make the atmosphere, not the other way around?

Yes, the Admin are puritanical jerks who employ your own fellow students in kiddie-cop uniforms to harass the student-body. Yes, the Admin don't want noise at the game unless it is good natured clapping. Yes, the Admin treat the students like infants. So the students can do one of two things: Flip off the admin, grow up, assert your rights, and make the Norris so loud and miserable that THEY are the ones staying away, not the students. OR, the Students can just meekly submit to being treated like fodder -- sober fodder, at that.

I think Frank's Lesson is one that needs to be relearned by the LSSU Students: This is YOUR team. Not the Soo's, really. Not the admin's. Not Jim Roque's. Not Lakerblue's. Not Fricker's. Not Turthy's. The Hockey team, above any and all other organizations and operations and associations at LSSU -- the hockey team belongs to the Students. For it through the hockey team, and virtually nothing else, that the LSSU Students are known to the world. It it through the hockey team that LSSU derives 90% (unscientific guess) of its recognition and awareness. The big stadium on campus is for hockey. The bulk of the money in athletics is earned by, and spent on, hockey.

I think its high time the students came out, en masse, and made this THEIR team again.

I know, when the wins and national titles started piling up, the Admin could not relegate the students any further away. They ignored the student fans, and took them for granted. Well, all of the admin people are long gone. The Students still remain, year in and year out. I think its high time the student took back THEIR rink from theAdmin.

Jus my thoughts on that topic.
                        Last edited by Lakerblue; 04-24-2013, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lakerblue View Post
                          Sorry. Those last two BGSU games really, really, really hurt. Bad hockey in an empty arena.
                          Like a swift kick to the groin, I'm afraid.

Comment

This may be a long one. First of all, IT IS THAT BAD. You are indirectly saying it yourself. Do you honestly think we should love Laker Hockey just because it is a Division I sport? Students should come just because they go to LSSU? Really? There is a negativity around the program and blame flying everywhere. The A.D., the Head Coach, the donors, the student section, the assistant coaches, the recruiting. You are saying that the best part of the program right now is a sub-.500 record. Sorry that doesn’t make me open my wallet. Why, because as we discussed before, Coach Roque is almost unanimously unpopular outside of the university. The donor money alone gives him credibility with me. Personally, I am looking forward to the Eagles games this weekend. If there is not 1,000 people in the Pullar I will be shocked. I will sit with my buddies, have a couple beers and be entertained. I can’t do that at any other game in the Soo. That entertainment far outweighs the frustration of walking out of a Laker game in Jan, Feb, or March. Again I say, the donor money gives Coach Roque credibility and rightfully should but when that revenue source runs dry then I see trouble because there is too much negative history. Friends of Coach Roque don’t want to hear this but my community mingling verifies it.
                            Another point that was brought up to me was in response to our A.D. First of all, saying she is promoting Basketball over Hockey is nuts. Her Husband played Hockey and Coached at LSSU. Her brother in law played hockey and now coaches at LSSU and if you go to a Basketball game and then go to a hockey game you will see which seems to get more attention from the Athletic Dept. I think she knows what sport offers potential revenue and her job is about balancing an athletic budget. Also, my understanding is that she does not have the ability to fire the Hockey Coach. This responsibility falls on the President of the University. If the rumor is true that President McLean is retiring, then Coach Roque will be on his fourth University President in eight years. Each time a new president comes in, firing a Coach must be low on the list of priorities and could create controversy. Not a great way to start. Also, when a President is leaving he/she is not going to start a firestorm by firing the coach of the top profile sport for the next president to be welcomed with. I just think Coach Roque is riding a wave.

Comment

Originally posted by DM2SM View Post
                              This may be a long one. First of all, IT IS THAT BAD. You are indirectly saying it yourself. Do you honestly think we should love Laker Hockey just because it is a Division I sport? Students should come just because they go to LSSU? Really? There is a negativity around the program and blame flying everywhere. The A.D., the Head Coach, the donors, the student section, the assistant coaches, the recruiting. You are saying that the best part of the program right now is a sub-.500 record. Sorry that doesn’t make me open my wallet. Why, because as we discussed before, Coach Roque is almost unanimously unpopular outside of the university. The donor money alone gives him credibility with me. Personally, I am looking forward to the Eagles games this weekend. If there is not 1,000 people in the Pullar I will be shocked. I will sit with my buddies, have a couple beers and be entertained. I can’t do that at any other game in the Soo. That entertainment far outweighs the frustration of walking out of a Laker game in Jan, Feb, or March. Again I say, the donor money gives Coach Roque credibility and rightfully should but when that revenue source runs dry then I see trouble because there is too much negative history. Friends of Coach Roque don’t want to hear this but my community mingling verifies it.
                              Another point that was brought up to me was in response to our A.D. First of all, saying she is promoting Basketball over Hockey is nuts. Her Husband played Hockey and Coached at LSSU. Her brother in law played hockey and now coaches at LSSU and if you go to a Basketball game and then go to a hockey game you will see which seems to get more attention from the Athletic Dept. I think she knows what sport offers potential revenue and her job is about balancing an athletic budget. Also, my understanding is that she does not have the ability to fire the Hockey Coach. This responsibility falls on the President of the University. If the rumor is true that President McLean is retiring, then Coach Roque will be on his fourth University President in eight years. Each time a new president comes in, firing a Coach must be low on the list of priorities and could create controversy. Not a great way to start. Also, when a President is leaving he/she is not going to start a firestorm by firing the coach of the top profile sport for the next president to be welcomed with. I just think Coach Roque is riding a wave.
                              That is interesting (if true) that our AD does not have the power to fire a coach, and I have to ask why? I've never heard of another school where the AD doesn't have that power??

Comment

DM2SM. You make some good points. An outgoing pres. is unlikely to fire a coach and an incoming pres. likely would not do so early in his tenure either. That could be two years. The AD might not have the power to fire the hockey coach (probaby typical for a small university) but if she wanted to she could make her case to the president. The case can be made to make a coaching change - I would not deny that. We just saw a couple of coaches surprisingly released.

Comment

Working...
                                X