This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Allagash View Post
    You are admittedly one of tims Most loyal supporters on here. I'm not sure about these other issues you speak of that caused the program to drop, can you enlighten us?
    I see walshes recruits all gone, who couldn't win with jimmy howard? and grant gone, after that I don't see any success from tim? I also so don't see where tim was correcting these problems he had in the last 7 years. His one decent year was with a team that was loaded and they still greatly underachieved. Tim did recruit some very good players but never did much with them and when they left, there were gaping holes.
    Red is not inheriting a pretty good team, they' should be much better but In no way was this team lighting it up under tim. If red can miraculously take this team to the ncaa tournament next year, I truly believe whitehead would not have been able to do the same.
    I Firmly believe the drop in the program is a direct result of tim whiteheads style of management and coaching, saying there areother issues out there that no one knows about is putting less blame on whitehead.
    There is way to much *** kissing in sports nowadays amongst players and coaches, it is all one big lovefest nowadays with to much, I don't want to upset anyone. It was refreshing to hear what corkrum said, what all the fans already thought, except a few....
    The biggest challenge timmy faced was def. Grant leaving. Timmy proved he could coach and win with talent. Corkum and kerluke were never able to bring the talent in...the teams of the last 6 years are not even close to what they used to be...hopefully Red hires two guys that can evaluate and deliver players...

Comment

• Re: Maine Hockey Thread II: The Search for Spock

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
      good pick, will be more interesting to see who assistants are.
      Dan Muse who is with him at Yale would be a good one
      No! The assistant everyone should be robbing is Yale's strength and conditioning guy. That's what won the championship.
      YALE HOCKEY
      2013 National Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
        55, expecting younger? I'd say yes but if he surrounds himself with the right Assts, does it really matter?
        Worse yet you could have hired Gwoz at 59.

Comment

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/05/2...ormer-players/
          sure why not

Comment

• Interesting that they interviewed Blsise.

I don't think he has the fire left and with kids his priorities have rightly shifted. But in his prime woild make a great east and key recruited for maine

Comment

Originally posted by dover4345 View Post
              Red is better friends with Tim Whitehead than he is with Bob Corkum. The last coach to give Corkum a chance got bashed in a letter upon his firing. Whitehead has an awful lot of friends in hockey and is well liked...that was the wrong move by corkum, big time....no chance Red keeps him on nor should he...

If they have a disagreement, what will corkum send more letters? There are ways to handle things and there are ways not to handle things....orkum showed little to no loyality to the man that give him an opportunity---now he will face the music...my guess is he is not working in college hockey next year.
              I think Corkum showed a lot of loyalty by keeping his mouth shut and doing what he was told while TIMMAY ran the program into the ground for five years. And let's not forget that even with a 'perfect storm' of two Hobey candidates and a heavily senior-laden team, TIMMAY couldn't motivate this team to be anything more than they'd been the past few seasons(4-6-2) until Corkum did a Herb Brooks on them in TIMMAY's absence after a dismal road trip in November. As well as the tongue-lashing he gave them during a listless performance against Ala-Huntsville that salvaged a win in OT.

I respect what Red's done in the game and am sure he's a great assistant. But his record as a head man is not stellar, and maybe he's just not cut out for that, which is why he's been a career assistant. We'll find out. But I do hope Corkum stays, by all accounts the players will go through walls for him, and his fire and passion is certainly needed, especially if let off the leash by a new coach.
              What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                Yalewhaler says he worked with the defense.....that's exciting since that's clearly been Maine's biggest weakness the last 5-6 years.
                Well, that and scoring goals. Hope he can teach these guys to put the puck on net, instead of constantly shooting wide or high.
                What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyjunkie10 View Post
                  The problem isn't the message, it was the messenger and the forum. If a reporter, or an outsider, made those comments everyone would acknowledge that they were factually correct. The biggest problem he faces with those comments is that he completely threw Whitehead under the bus and now every potential boss he could have is going to struggle to trust him. He could've separated himself from Whitehead in his job interview, behind closed doors. Instead, he decided to try and win the job in the public and that never works. The second issue is that his comments show no accountability. At the end of the day, he bears some of the responsibility (everyone associated does) for what happened during Whitehead's tenure. Either way, I'm sure it's a move he regrets the tact he took and will learn from it.

Focusing on the more important news, you guys are getting arguably the best teacher of the game in all of hockey...congrats & good luck!
                  Had a sneaking suspicion it would be Gendron, and I honestly think UMaine got this one right.
                  Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                  Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                    I think Corkum showed a lot of loyalty by keeping his mouth shut and doing what he was told while TIMMAY ran the program into the ground for five years.
                    So he showed loyalty by remaining on the job and keeping his mouth shut.

So what does that say about Guy and Grant? Can't have it both ways...

Comment

Who stays of current assistants?

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                        So he showed loyalty by remaining on the job and keeping his mouth shut.

So what does that say about Guy and Grant? Can't have it both ways...
                        The only thing Guy has ever said is that it was time to move on. He does not say anything else.
                        Been a long time, been a long time been a long, lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely time

Thank you, Tim. You did what you could and could do no more.

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
                          D) none of the above

The exception would be if any were told they were welcome to re-apply for their position and if they were the 'best' candidate after the interview and the vetting process they could be considered. This would allow Corkum to address his post in the Facebook forum and on here and clear up any misconceptions or interpretations of what he did and why.

I do, however, think it would be good to keep Corkum on as an assistant to keep some continuity with the team and help to hold them responsible for the off-season conditioning goals he set for them coming into next season...
                          Last edited by revoman; 05-26-2013, 10:19 AM.
                          Been a long time, been a long time been a long, lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely time

Thank you, Tim. You did what you could and could do no more.

Comment

Originally posted by revoman View Post
                            The only thing Guy has ever said is that it was time to move on. He does not say anything else.
                            That, to me, is loyalty. It may be time to come back.

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
                              I don't see either of them coming back, but we'll have to wait and see. he may want one of them for continuity???
                              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                                My sentiments exactly. Well stated and thanks for the good wishes. I hope that Red succeeds as a head coach. Most Maine fans blame Tim for everything that went wrong the last few years and rightfully so, he is the head coach. However, there are other issues that no one will ever know about that caused the program to drop in stature the last few years. In fairness to Tim, he was working to correct the weaknesses and Red is going to inherit a pretty good team. Corkum was paid to coach players and shares responsibility as well. Tim is well liked and does have many friends in the college hockey community (as another poster stated). Corkum's tactics were very unprofessional in my mind and I'm sure other coaches in the league perceived it the same way.
                                Corkum stated the truth and what all of us already knew and there's nothing unprofessional about that, and he waited to say it until it wouldn't undermine Whitehead as the coach and hurt the program. If you can imagine the extreme frustration he must have endured, I think he should be commended for not blurting it out a few years ago and it might have helped the team if he had. I frankly get sick of coaches and sports media who are always sugarcoating everything and never really assigning or taking responsibility for even obvious failures.

As far as "other issues," that deserve blame for the decline in our hockey program, every program at every other school Maine competes against also has "other issues" to deal with and it's part of the head coaches job to do that. Maybe Tim WAS working to correct the weaknesses, but he'd been there plenty long enough so he owned those weaknesses and it's right that he be held fully responsible for their existence. You probably should have quit at "Most Maine fans blame Tim for everything that went wrong the last few years and rightfully so, he is the head coach," instead of going on to try to muddy the water and spread the blame beyond where it rightfully lies, with the man who was at the helm of Maine hockey for more than a decade.
                                Last edited by MEbear; 05-26-2013, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X