PDA

View Full Version : Maine Hockey Thread II: The Search for Spock

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

all bear
04-22-2013, 08:39 PM
I know their sandwich's are awesome. A little pricey but sooooo worth it. Try the donut holes with chocolate dipping sauce for desert next time you go.

I was eyeballing them but didnt go there. Pricey? Meh, twenty bucks for the 2 of us...for that quality dont know anywhere else we could go to match it. Lots of good looking sandwiches so many reasons to go back in the future. They're a short distance to where my folks are moving into so we get the chance to take them there ....know for sure they'll like it.

irishfan85
04-22-2013, 10:58 PM
Everyone should try the Family Dog next time in Orono.

davyd83
04-22-2013, 11:31 PM
I find it interesting that some of those who would question Jim Montgomery's loyalty to Maine are the same who were asking for Whitehead to be fired after he gave the University 12 years and was in the NCAA just a year ago. Is loyalty only a one way street? A winning coach goes elsewhere and he's disloyal. But have a rough year and they're calling for your head. Where is the fans loyalty to the coach?

amherstblackbear
04-23-2013, 12:18 AM
I find it interesting that some of those who would question Jim Montgomery's loyalty to Maine are the same who were asking for Whitehead to be fired after he gave the University 12 years and was in the NCAA just a year ago. Is loyalty only a one way street? A winning coach goes elsewhere and he's disloyal. But have a rough year and they're calling for your head. Where is the fans loyalty to the coach?

You lost me at "a rough year." :)

Fishman'81
04-23-2013, 02:52 AM
Personally I have no problem with Corkum and he "could" be the right guy, but he certainly is not going to bring back the fans and the donor money until the team starts winning. But I would be shocked if they made this move to put Corkum in place. They could have done it mid-season and given the reins to Corkum to see if it was a good fit.

Yup.

Maine's timing has been God-awful for years now, and life is all about timing.

Having said that, I do think that Corkum will coach a much better style of hockey. My question will be: can he recruit?

Fishman'81
04-23-2013, 03:11 AM
One has to consider the possibility, though painful as it is to long term Maine fans, that maybe Jimmay was more interested in the DU job when it became available than the Maine job. Maybe Jimmay was trying to let his loyal fans down gently by putting some blame back on the university for not contacting him, knowing full well the Mainuhs would not appreciate his going elsewhere. So he bleeds blue to a point where it interferes with his own interests. :)

Bingo, perhaps...

I've considered posting this for a while now, but reconsidered time and time again because it's all speculation on my part.

Still, I've had a cocktail or two tonight, so here goes: all I needed to see about Monty was the my-dog-just-died look in his eyes when PK accepted the Hobey while Paul gave him all the credit, and the non-existent response from "his" team during the locker room footage. (It's all available on the "Out of the Woods" videos on YouTube.)

I wanted him to come to Maine and recruit, but perhaps Corkum can do more with less. Jimmy looked like a used-car salesman back then. Maybe he still is. Let's see how he deals with grown men this time around before we all get our shorts in a bunch.

all bear
04-23-2013, 06:34 AM
Bingo, perhaps...

I've considered posting this for a while now, but reconsidered time and time again because it's all speculation on my part.

Still, I've had a cocktail or two tonight, so here goes: all I needed to see about Monty was the my-dog-just-died look in his eyes when PK accepted the Hobey while Paul gave him all the credit, and the non-existent response from "his" team during the locker room footage. (It's all available on the "Out of the Woods" videos on YouTube.)

I wanted him to come to Maine and recruit, but perhaps Corkum can do more with less. Jimmy looked like a used-car salesman back then. Maybe he still is. Let's see how he deals with grown men this time around before we all get our shorts in a bunch.

Whoa !! You really did have some cocktails . :) But you may be dead on with this. You never really know these guys until you get to know these guys. Profound, huh? :D

sandiegoblkbr
04-23-2013, 08:13 AM
I'm more disappointed about how the entire athletic department is handled these days than not hiring Montgomery. Does anyone else feel like the department is rudderless right now???

Drew S.
04-23-2013, 08:41 AM
I'm more disappointed about how the entire athletic department is handled these days than not hiring Montgomery. Does anyone else feel like the department is rudderless right now???

I don't think it's that great right now, but is way ahead of where it's been the last five or 10 years. At least Abbott is from Maine and has some ties to the school. Much more than you can say about the two clowns who preceded him.

Hokydad
04-23-2013, 09:00 AM
Answer one question. You have JM recruiting you to Maine and you are a good ushl/ndtp type
What can he offer you to beat out BU, BC, Harvard, UNH(maybe) and all of the western schools. No one woild go to Maine to play for him until he replicates what SW did. That takes time to build a rep.
He can do it from day one at DU but not at Maine. Kids want results and exposure.
He would only get second tier kids.
No one would even know him
At least Corkum has a resume and can throw around NHL names and talk about NHL dev camp contacts

It will work out well for him at DU, very well
Good in end for all

Hokydad
04-23-2013, 09:11 AM
Answer one question. You have JM recruiting you to Maine and you are a good ushl/ndtp type
What can he offer you to beat out BU, BC, Harvard, UNH(maybe) and all of the western schools. No one woild go to Maine to play for him until HD replicates what SW did. That takes time to build a rep.
He can do it from day one at DU but not at Maine. Kids want results and exposure.
At least Corkum has a resume and can throw around NHL names and talk about NHL dev camp contacts

Good in end for all

Drew S.
04-23-2013, 09:56 AM
What can he offer you to beat out BU, BC, Harvard, UNH(maybe) and all of the western schools. No one woild go to Maine to play for him until HD replicates what SW did. That takes time to build a rep.

Good in end for all

I think kids go different places for different reasons and I think it's rare we actually know what they were. The kids themselves might not even truly know. When they say they went a certain place because of the coach I think in a lot of cases it's bs.

Question for you, do you think recruiting is as important as it was 10 or 20 years ago? I don't really think it is with all the parity we see nowadays.

Allagash
04-23-2013, 11:25 AM

HUH? what are you smoking i want some!

They have missed the tournament 6 of 7 years. 3 of those seasons with 13 or less wins....

davyd83
04-23-2013, 11:42 AM
HUH? what are you smoking i want some!

They have missed the tournament 6 of 7 years. 3 of those seasons with 13 or less wins....

So like I said, loyalty doesn't go in favor of the coach who doesn't win enough. But if he does win, or is a good strong candidate who goes elsewhere, he is the disloyal one. It's the same with players at the pro level. The only thing fans need to be loyal to is the win column. Players and coaches, if they are successful, are supposed to be loyal to the school, the community, the fans, etc no matter what. If you haven't had the success those fans desire, you better have your bags packed and be on the first train outta Dodge.

BoSox3066
04-23-2013, 11:59 AM
So like I said, loyalty doesn't go in favor of the coach who doesn't win enough. But if he does win, or is a good strong candidate who goes elsewhere, he is the disloyal one. It's the same with players at the pro level. The only thing fans need to be loyal to is the win column. Players and coaches, if they are successful, are supposed to be loyal to the school, the community, the fans, etc no matter what. If you haven't had the success those fans desire, you better have your bags packed and be on the first train outta Dodge.

Not really. Loyalty bought Whitehead a lot of rope from a lot of people from about 2008-10. It had to turn around at some point and it did not. 7 years exhausts loyalty.

amherstblackbear
04-23-2013, 12:04 PM
@davy I'm not sure where you're getting this.

I can only speak for myself. I would say that Montgomery's main loyalty is -- and should be -- to himself and his family. I'm not criticizing him for being a turncoat, or something. I don't think anyone here is.

To the extent I've criticized Montgomery, it's in relation to the string of public statements he's made about the Maine search: I don't think he's been completely professional about it. But, truth be told, even that criticism is mostly out of boredom. I'm not interested enough to re-hash it. Just read back 3 pages or so.

Runsub5
04-23-2013, 12:12 PM

I pretty much agree with this. Just for the record, I was loyal to Tim and still am. Probably the only one on this forum.

amherstblackbear
04-23-2013, 12:27 PM
D1 men's hockey is (for many schools) a revenue sport.

Yes, it's about competition and character and developing as people, and there are coaches all across the country in div3 who excel at that, and who've earned loyalty on that basis.

Division 1, for better or worse, is as much about entertainment as it is about teaching. Outside of a handful of extreme cases, there shouldn't be any expectation of tenure. Of course, the tradeoff is working with more highly-skilled players and receiving higher pay. If you want stability and loyalty, supplement your hockey experience with an advanced degree and look for a job at someplace like a libarts college, where teaching is part of the institution's identity.

I guess I fail to understand why it's so awful that, for revenue sports, high-reward comes with high-risk. :confused:

Priceless
04-23-2013, 12:31 PM
I pretty much agree with this. Just for the record, I was loyal to Tim and still am. Probably the only one on this forum.
Right.

all bear
04-23-2013, 12:52 PM
Long time ago I used to have a boss who I was pretty loyal to. Until that point in time where he stopped doing his job properly and it effected me. Guess what, my loyalty ended right then and there. And he was once pretty competent. Imagine how I would have felt if he was incompetent to start with. You know, someone who couldnt compete in the arena in which he was working. Sound familiar? When the people of this state pay someone a relatively exhorbitant amount of money for doing a poor job, we have no requirment or bond to be "loyal" to that person. Our only responsiblity is to make sure that person is doing his job correctly for his compensation or is replaced by someone who can and will do it properly.