PDA

View Full Version : Maine Hockey Thread II: The Search for Spock

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51

Runsub5
05-30-2013, 09:30 PM
Two steps forward, possible step back.

Apparently WABI will no longer be broadcasting maine athletics. Couldn't come together on contract terms... wonder what that'll mean for the southern audience... story about it on BDN website

I think Maine athletic events will be aired by another broadcaster. The BDN article states that Learfield Sports is looking at local , regional and national outlets.

walrus
05-31-2013, 06:37 AM
I think Maine athletic events will be aired by another broadcaster. The BDN article states that Learfield Sports is looking at local , regional and national outlets.
National outlet for Maine sports? TF. I can see WLBZ, I can also see UMaine sports not being on TV and Learfield strikes again. I'll bet any money whoever gets the contract won't promote UMaine half as much as WABI did

blackbearbandie
05-31-2013, 06:49 AM
Coincidentally, the recent demise of Maine Hockey over the past several years has coincided with the Learfield era we've been living through, and we haven't seen much in the way of accountability until this year with the coaching change. I'd rather see local control instead of having some distant corporate overlord.

sandiegoblkbr
05-31-2013, 07:57 AM
National outlet for Maine sports? TF. I can see WLBZ, I can also see UMaine sports not being on TV and Learfield strikes again. I'll bet any money whoever gets the contract won't promote UMaine half as much as WABI did

Yeah, they promoted them so much that no one showed up in person.:rolleyes:

I hope that they stop televising home football games.........there's nothing more pathetic than seeing an empty stadium in November.

ck1969
05-31-2013, 08:03 AM
Two steps forward, possible step back.

Apparently WABI will no longer be broadcasting maine athletics. Couldn't come together on contract terms... wonder what that'll mean for the southern audience... story about it on BDN website
Doh! That sucks. I don't think any other bangor stations have a relationship like WABI/WPME with So me stations. Hope something changes. :(

Priceless
05-31-2013, 08:08 AM
Doh! That sucks. I don't think any other bangor stations have a relationship like WABI/WPME with So me stations. Hope something changes. :(

WLBZ and WCSH do a lot together. If WLBZ gets the contract I can see WCSH broadcasting most, if not all, of the programming. I also think WLBZ and WCSH will put together a show that doesn't look like it's run by a high school AV club.

AMC
05-31-2013, 09:41 AM
I actually think this is a good thing. WABI may have been broadcasting Maine games since 1953, but they were still using the same cameras and announcers and technology they had in 1953 too.

If this means someone with an HD truck is going to broadcast Maine hockey (WLBZ???), I am all for it.

And if this means that a broadcast booth with a combined age below 180 is going to announce UMaine football games, I am all for it.

I will note, however, that the fact that Learfield Sports is running this and not anyone in Orono continues to be a joke. Thanks Blake James! Like herpes, you are the gift that keeps on giving.

walrus
05-31-2013, 09:59 AM
WLBZ and WCSH do a lot together. If WLBZ gets the contract I can see WCSH broadcasting most, if not all, of the programming. I also think WLBZ and WCSH will put together a show that doesn't look like it's run by a high school AV club.

In order for HD you need fiber or a sat uplink, does anyone really think they make enough to cover an uplink? There is no fiber.

Drew S.
05-31-2013, 10:01 AM
In order for HD you need fiber or a sat uplink, does anyone really think they make enough to cover an uplink? There is no fiber.

Maybe if they would have treated Stephen King with respect...we're getting taken for a ride by Learfield, complete joke Maine is still associated with them.

Priceless
05-31-2013, 10:22 AM
I will note, however, that the fact that Learfield Sports is running this and not anyone in Orono continues to be a joke. Thanks Blake James! Like herpes, you are the gift that keeps on giving.

To be specific, Andrew Stuebner, is the GM of Black Bear Properties (the website for which does not exist)

Stuebner, who replaces Justin Barnes, has considerable sports business experience under his belt. He recently completed a stint as the director of sales for CSL Marketing Group in Lincoln, Neb.

Previously, he was the executive vice president and GM for the Class AAA Fresno Grizzlies, where he also worked three years as their VP of tickets. Stuebner also worked as an assistant GM and director of ticketing operations for the Class A Rancho Cucamonga (Calif.) Quakes and was the director of group sales of the Class A Potomac Cannons.

He was a four-year starter at Kenyon College in Ohio.

Jason Hoyt was named in 2010

Hockey enthusiast and Maine alum Jason Hoyt returns to Orono and his alma mater as an Account Executive for Black Bear Sports Properties. Jason comes to BBSP from Verizon Wireless in Bangor and brings a wide range of professional experience to the property… including Zamboni driving(!).

He is an avid hockey player, having competed in high school, club leagues and many men’s leagues. He coaches his daughter’s team and also serves on the board of directors for Bangor Youth Hockey. Jason also has coached high school varsity tennis for more than 12 years and enjoys fishing, camping and spending time with his family.

And Matt Simone, who can't be found in a quick Google search but may have been a former pitcher at Binghamton.

Lest we forget, despite the media's reluctance to report on the connection, Learfield has remarkably close ties to Clear Channel that I have outlined in this forum previously.

AMC
05-31-2013, 10:56 AM
So how do ESPNU/CBSSN/NBCSN air HD games from Alfond?

walrus
05-31-2013, 11:00 AM
Maybe if they would have treated Stephen King with respect...we're getting taken for a ride by Learfield, complete joke Maine is still associated with them.

I Think you'll find most schools are associated with learfield, it was a trend for awhile

walrus
05-31-2013, 11:01 AM
So how do ESPNU/CBSSN/NBCSN air HD games from Alfond?

Uplink very expensive bigger audience

Priceless
05-31-2013, 11:11 AM
I Think you'll find most schools are associated with learfield, it was a trend for awhile
I'm curious how fans of other Learfield teams feel since going with them...and have the schools made out financially? Too bad no one in the media will ask that question since most of them work for Clear Channel, or don't want to tick them off.

irishfan85
05-31-2013, 03:47 PM
Now that we know for sure NO Alexander, NO Kerluke on new staff, what is the consensus, Corkum or no Corkum? Nostrajimus in BDN comments seems pretty sure Corkum will be on new staff.

Maine Hockey Fan
05-31-2013, 04:57 PM
now that we know for sure no alexander, no kerluke on new staff, what is the consensus, corkum or no corkum? Nostrajimus in bdn comments seems pretty sure corkum will be on new staff.

no corkum ...

lkenney
05-31-2013, 05:32 PM
I actually think this is a good thing. WABI may have been broadcasting Maine games since 1953, but they were still using the same cameras and announcers and technology they had in 1953 too.

If this means someone with an HD truck is going to broadcast Maine hockey (WLBZ???), I am all for it.

And if this means that a broadcast booth with a combined age below 180 is going to announce UMaine football games, I am all for it.

I promise you WLBZ has no HD truck. When I worked there 15 years ago, they had NO production truck, period. Shortly after I left, that place was gutted and runs mostly out of Portland.

Goalieboy2000
05-31-2013, 05:38 PM
Well, There's always WFVX/WVII. But remember, WLBZ did broadcast the Black Bears in 1992.

Ma#1ne Hky
05-31-2013, 05:38 PM
no corkum ...Less then a 50% chance he returns. And I know I could very well be WRONG.!

ck1969
05-31-2013, 07:54 PM

Yeah, like share weathermen/women when someone is on vacation. I can't see WCSH giving up any NBC programming to air Maine Hockey. Never happen.