PDA

View Full Version : Maine Hockey Thread II: The Search for Spock

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51

Ma#1ne Hky
05-30-2013, 03:47 AM
Lets hope that Standbrook assist in some way for Gendron and UMaine Hockey,I think as a Consultant and Part time Volunteer Assistant would be valuable to all,Gendron/Players and the UMaine fans to know he's back in his rightful place: Alfond Arena...lets hope also down the road that his "NAME" goes up with the #'s 8-9-19 and SW...I don't know what they'd put but he has earned it as a Coach and a down to earth Human being...with CLASS.

BoSox3066
05-30-2013, 03:53 AM
I think recruiting was probably a cut above where it has been recently, though not necessarily by leaps and bounds. Except 2007. Guy kicked all kinds of arse that year. Especially if you include Arnold (his leaving is more on Tim than Guy). 2006 wasn't as strong, though Diamond and Van Dyk had solid careers. Hard to say what Kelen Corkum might have done. Sweetland was pretty good in his short time.

Maine probably didn't have a ton of roster spots open when he first took the job, because Maine didn't have many recruits from late 2003 through 2005. The Lundin brothers worked out all right, Bishop, Dee, Hahn, etc. Not bad, but not 2007. And Maine might have had 2 years out of Purcell. It wasn't Guy's decision to put him off for a year.

Year of commitment (not entry)

2008: (partial year, though april) Flynn, Amestoy, Francisco, Ashley, Shemansky, Andersson, Solomon, Nemec, Higgins
2007: Abbott, Nyquist, O'Neill, Swallow, Arnold, Hegarty, Darling, Anthoine, Dimmen, Randall, Banwell
2006: Diamond, Corkum, Van Dyk, Belmore, Sweetland, Orsini, Wilson, Carriere, De Kastrozza, Morrone
2005: Dee, Sill, Yandle, Plaszcz,
2004: Purcell, Bishop, Hahn, Marshall, Laise, Duffy, Clark, Lundin(G), Ryan, Hopson, Ramsey
2003: (after july) Mike Lundin(D)

Lundin's class and the Bishop/Purcell class were still Grant as I remember. What I chalk up to Perron is the disastrous Class of 2005, and having Yandle even in there is kind of misleading, as I remember he was committed for about 3 weeks after he didn't get into UNH and everybody knew he was going to the Q.....Everybody used to bash Bob's EJ/Monarchs connections for all the guys listed after that, now they're a credit to Guy? Seems like his recruits were a lot of Sweetland types that didn't stick around, and his recruits for the women's team when he was in charge there were the same kind of kids.....now maybe the kids leaving was all Whitehead's fault and that might change under Red, but I wouldn't be really excited to see Perron back.

IIRC Kerluke and Grant found Gus in Sweden not Guy....

blackbearbandie
05-30-2013, 07:33 AM
WABI-TV5 was reporting this morning that assistant coaches Kerluke and Corkum were contacted yesterday and asked whether or not they had any interest in staying on as assistants if offered. Kerluke said that he wasn't going to come back and already had plans that were in the works, and Corkum stated that he would like to stay with the team, if Gendron allows...

I do like Corkum, and won't ever fault him for speaking his mind, but we now know that it's out of his hands now. As much as I'd love to see him back, I support Coach Gendron and whatever he decides is best for the program in this transition phase.

amherstblackbear
05-30-2013, 08:31 AM
Lundin's class and the Bishop/Purcell class were still Grant as I remember. What I chalk up to Perron is the disastrous Class of 2005, and having Yandle even in there is kind of misleading, as I remember he was committed for about 3 weeks after he didn't get into UNH and everybody knew he was going to the Q.....Everybody used to bash Bob's EJ/Monarchs connections for all the guys listed after that, now they're a credit to Guy? Seems like his recruits were a lot of Sweetland types that didn't stick around, and his recruits for the women's team when he was in charge there were the same kind of kids.....now maybe the kids leaving was all Whitehead's fault and that might change under Red, but I wouldn't be really excited to see Perron back.

Fair points, all. Still, I don't think you want to comb through Kerluke's classes that closely ;)

Bottom line: Hope Red finds a good one. Maine needs to do better than it has over the past 8 years.

gscott13
05-30-2013, 08:47 AM

I may be wrong, but I seem to recall one of the younger Kariyas had quite a bit to do with Gus ending up in Maine...

sandiegoblkbr
05-30-2013, 09:59 AM
WABI-TV5 was reporting this morning that assistant coaches Kerluke and Corkum were contacted yesterday and asked whether or not they had any interest in staying on as assistants if offered. Kerluke said that he wasn't going to come back and already had plans that were in the works, and Corkum stated that he would like to stay with the team, if Gendron allows...

I do like Corkum, and won't ever fault him for speaking his mind, but we now know that it's out of his hands now. As much as I'd love to see him back, I support Coach Gendron and whatever he decides is best for the program in this transition phase.

To me, Corkum did not do enough to warrant a second chance.........I know in some ways he was pretty powerless, but if he couldn't even stand up to Whitehead and impact the team more positively..........????

dover4345
05-30-2013, 11:51 AM
I don't really know if I think it would be a good hire or not---I am pretty neutral on him---but I would guess that Red will hire Len Quesnelle to be his associate head coach. Len and Red are good friends and Len has a ton of experience. After that I would bet that Red will focus on a young guy who is hungry to recruit.

gscott13
05-30-2013, 12:40 PM
apparently, this is kerluke's new adventure in partnership with david alexander

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/05/30/news/bangor/former-maine-assistant-hockey-coaches-launching-new-company-to-help-goalies/

AMC
05-30-2013, 12:59 PM

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/05/30/news/bangor/former-maine-assistant-hockey-coaches-launching-new-company-to-help-goalies/

That actually sounds kind of cool.

Drew S.
05-30-2013, 01:05 PM

Agreed. It's nice they're keeping it somewhat affordable. I hope it works out great for both of them.

irishfan85
05-30-2013, 01:06 PM
I don't really know if I think it would be a good hire or not---I am pretty neutral on him---but I would guess that Red will hire Len Quesnelle to be his associate head coach. Len and Red are good friends and Len has a ton of experience. After that I would bet that Red will focus on a young guy who is hungry to recruit.

God I hope not re: Quesnelle.

BoSox3066
05-30-2013, 02:22 PM
Fair points, all. Still, I don't think you want to comb through Kerluke's classes that closely ;)

Bottom line: Hope Red finds a good one. Maine needs to do better than it has over the past 8 years.

In net yes, maybe depth wise too although I think Red's dry land and let's be in better shape then the other team mantra will take care of that.

I still say Gus' last team with House, Dimmen, Flynn, Abbott, Dee, Diamond, O'Neill (etc etc) had the chops to go all the way if they had any defensive strategy what-so-ever. That's the team that made me give up on Whitehead.

rufus
05-30-2013, 02:58 PM

No wonder Maine's goaltending has been shabby recently, all it takes is 36 seconds, and this guy can see exactly what you're doing wrong.

walrus
05-30-2013, 04:05 PM
In net yes, maybe depth wise too although I think Red's dry land and let's be in better shape then the other team mantra will take care of that.

I still say Gus' last team with House, Dimmen, Flynn, Abbott, Dee, Diamond, O'Neill (etc etc) had the chops to go all the way if they had any defensive strategy what-so-ever. That's the team that made me give up on Whitehead.
You could have a team full of Gretskys, Orrs and Hulls, when your goalie is drunk or Sirman or etc, you ain't winning nothing

Nick Papagiorgio
05-30-2013, 04:20 PM
I still say Gus' last team with House, Dimmen, Flynn, Abbott, Dee, Diamond, O'Neill (etc etc) had the chops to go all the way

All the way to where?

Priceless
05-30-2013, 04:29 PM
All the way to where?

Hallowell.

Runsub5
05-30-2013, 06:31 PM

Not sure if they used this technology this past year but Ouellette certainly turned his game around.

Runsub5
05-30-2013, 06:33 PM
I just saw Priceless on the evening news. I now can put a face with your posts. Nice job by the way.

BobF
05-30-2013, 08:15 PM
You could have a team full of Gretskys, Orrs and Hulls, when your goalie is drunk or Sirman or etc, you ain't winning nothing

Sorry who is this Gretsky guy? Is he related to Gretzky? Or is he related to Stanbrook as the PPH continued to spell Grant's name in a column yesterday. Sorry Wally could not resist.

gscott13
05-30-2013, 09:03 PM
Two steps forward, possible step back.

Apparently WABI will no longer be broadcasting maine athletics. Couldn't come together on contract terms... wonder what that'll mean for the southern audience... story about it on BDN website