PDA

View Full Version : Maine Hockey Thread II: The Search for Spock

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

Priceless
05-28-2013, 09:55 AM
Channel 2 in Bangor and 6 in Portland should have the most complete coverage of the press conference and other events. I'd recommend tuning in.

all bear
05-28-2013, 10:29 AM
i think this whole bob corkum letter as it relates to any possible gendron/corkum relationship is a bit overblown... the reality is that red knows that bob was a finalist for the position and that in of itself will need to be addressed... essentially a conversation that is simply, "bob, i know you wanted the position, but i need to know before i extend you, that you are going to be able to handle me coming in as your new boss and that i have 100% support from you in that regard."

that conversation is going to happen. if bob convinces red that he is on board 100% and that there will not be any difficulties, then any concerns over "the letter" will similarly be put to rest...

i still think kerluke needs to go. can keep one, but not both.

Corkum did the absolute right thing with his letter. Chuckie's all effed up yet again. And we dont need to send Timmay a sympathy card.;)

amherstblackbear
05-28-2013, 11:07 AM
The talent hasn't been there. Red should bring in someone to take a lead role in recruiting. If he thinks it would be best to retain one of the current assistants/associates, I have no problem with that. But while the rebuilding job is off to a good start, it's only half done.

$.02

gscott13
05-28-2013, 11:53 AM
anyone know if WLBZ or WCSH will be broadcasting/streaming the presser? or perhaps something from GBB.Com?

edit:
http://client.stretchinternet.com/client/maine.portal#

Drew S.
05-28-2013, 11:58 AM
The talent hasn't been there. Red should bring in someone to take a lead role in recruiting. If he thinks it would be best to retain one of the current assistants/associates, I have no problem with that. But while the rebuilding job is off to a good start, it's only half done.

$.02

Completely disagree with this. Lack of talent at goaltender, yes, but not the rest of the team. Even for as bad as Maine was last year they went 5-3-1 against the three teams in hockey east that made the NCAA's. How do you pull that off with no talent?

walrus
05-28-2013, 12:02 PM
anyone know if WLBZ or WCSH will be broadcasting/streaming the presser? or perhaps something from GBB.Com?

edit:
http://client.stretchinternet.com/client/maine.portal#92.9 FM dale and Clem are here people starting to sit down

gscott13
05-28-2013, 12:05 PM
92.9 FM dale and Clem are here people starting to sit down

thanks. video from gbb kept buffering

gscott13
05-28-2013, 12:08 PM
blaise mcdonald in attendance.... interesting....

amherstblackbear
05-28-2013, 12:31 PM
Completely disagree with this. Lack of talent at goaltender, yes, but not the rest of the team. Even for as bad as Maine was last year they went 5-3-1 against the three teams in hockey east that made the NCAA's. How do you pull that off with no talent?

You pull that off when other teams don't respect you enough to bring their best. There were much more talented Maine teams that never swept BC at BC, but they didn't have the luxury of anonymity.

Priceless
05-28-2013, 12:41 PM
"Did Maine hockey get better today? Did I get better today?"
He said all the right things. Now the job begins.

Drew S.
05-28-2013, 12:50 PM
"Did Maine hockey get better today? Did I get better today?"
He said all the right things. Now the job begins.

Did they talk about how they are going to fill the Alfond again? I only saw Abbott's bit and thought he did a good job. I'm glad Grant and Garth were involved.

gscott13
05-28-2013, 12:54 PM
Did they talk about how they are going to fill the Alfond again? I only saw Abbott's bit and thought he did a good job. I'm glad Grant and Garth were involved.

the one and only way it's going to happen... by winning. by outworking every opponent. by being the best conditioned team on the ice every time they pull the game sweaters on....

all bear
05-28-2013, 12:59 PM
the one and only way it's going to happen... by winning. by outworking every opponent. by being the best conditioned team on the ice every time they pull the game sweaters on....

If they win, they will come....if they work hard, they will come...fact is, the Mainuhs know good hockey. Do they have to win all the time...hell no, but they want to see the effort put in, and they want to see the guys playing smart hockey again.

Drew S.
05-28-2013, 01:00 PM

I hope you're right but fear it could be more complicated than that. A lot has changed since it was consistently packed.

walrus
05-28-2013, 01:29 PM
I hope you're right but fear it could be more complicated than that. A lot has changed since it was consistently packed.

I'll bet the ticket office has already gotten many calls on season tickets. Do I expect 20 sellouts next year? Nope but I'll bet there are some

BobF
05-28-2013, 01:30 PM
Based upon the comments I read from the Gendron introduction I certainly think he hit all the right buttons. Does not sound like he will be retaining either Corkum or Kerluke, but maybe reading to much into that?

It goes without saying that we all look forward to having a team that is in great shape and won't be outworked. The grit and work ethic I saw from Yale in Pittsburgh exemplify that.

Gendron certainly has the pedigree and I know we all hope that the committee made the right choice and Red is able to successfully bring Maine back to the tournament on an annual basis!

gscott13
05-28-2013, 01:43 PM
Based upon the comments I read from the Gendron introduction I certainly think he hit all the right buttons. Does not sound like he will be retaining either Corkum or Kerluke, but maybe reading to much into that?

It goes without saying that we all look forward to having a team that is in great shape and won't be outworked. The grit and work ethic I saw from Yale in Pittsburgh exemplify that.

Gendron certainly has the pedigree and I know we all hope that the committee made the right choice and Red is able to successfully bring Maine back to the tournament on an annual basis!

radio guys noted that blaise madonald was in attendance... wonder if gendron is considering him for an assistant position... i know he replaced red when red left umass... he did say they were going to hire the best coaches and recruiters available which would indicate that the current assistants are not going to simply be retained...

all bear
05-28-2013, 01:48 PM

Seems to me he's just the right guy to come and play for if you are an inspiring pro hockey player. Knows the game inside and out, has been involved with many championship teams both at the collegiate and pro level, has many contacts at various levels within the game and, as a bonus, speaks fluent french. The campus and arena are easy sells, now we have the hockey guru to help sell it too.

all bear
05-28-2013, 01:50 PM
radio guys noted that blaise madonald was in attendance... wonder if gendron is considering him for an assistant position... i know he replaced red when red left umass... he did say they were going to hire the best coaches and recruiters available which would indicate that the current assistants are not going to simply be retained...

Blaise Im sure would like to have the Alfond on his side for once. :D

Chuck Murray
05-28-2013, 02:31 PM
Flipping the question to you...what would BC have to say to pass muster for you?

I wouldn't even give him an interview. If I *had* to as a courtesy to my new employers, we would have a nice chat, and I wouldn't retain him.

As a fan of an opposing program, I hate to admit it, but I do think your committee got this hire (Gendron) right. The only way they could mess it up now would be to force an unwanted assistant(s) on him as a condition of the hire, and my guess is that Coach Gendron wouldn't have taken the job in the first place under those conditions.