PDA

View Full Version : Maine Hockey Thread II: The Search for Spock

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

all bear
05-26-2013, 01:20 PM
I think the point is more that its clear from BCs comments that he wasnt supportive of TW when he was the coach. Whether TW was doing the right things or not he is doomed to fail if he an asst or assts who are undermining his authority from within. BC may not have spoken out publicly before but he clearly had not bought in....and you cant hide that from people no matter how hard you try.

That would absolutely be a red flag for me...

If Whitehead didnt like the way things were, he always had the option to let his assistants go. Truth of the matter is that Timmay was lost without the help he got. I am amazed that Corkum stayed loyal as long as he did in the face of Whiteheads incompetence.

walrus
05-26-2013, 01:29 PM
Tim may not have realized how disgruntled he was? Players arent winning and arent happy....BC isnt happy....who knows what was said or done behind the scenes and whatever facade of support may have been there.

Possible to hide from a head coach if you dont buy in? Absolutely. From 30 players on the team? Definitely not. Im not saying Tim shouldnt have been let go but who knows what might have happened if everyone had just sucked up their pride and bought in instead of pulling in different directions on the same rope?
Look, BC was disgruntled, Campbell Blair was disgruntled, Grant was, Guy was, is there some kind of pattern there? Who is common throughout?

MEbear
05-26-2013, 01:31 PM
Tim may not have realized how disgruntled he was? Players arent winning and arent happy....BC isnt happy....who knows what was said or done behind the scenes and whatever facade of support may have been there.

Possible to hide from a head coach if you dont buy in? Absolutely. From 30 players on the team? Definitely not. Im not saying Tim shouldnt have been let go but who knows what might have happened if everyone had just sucked up their pride and bought in instead of pulling in different directions on the same rope? That's an interesting story line you've got going there, but it's NOT what happened to Maine hockey.

Hokydad
05-26-2013, 01:38 PM
That's an interesting story line you've got going there, but it's NOT what happened to Maine hockey.

It is very simple
Whitehead lived of SW's efforts and when that ran out they sucked. Gendron needs to get it back or they will fail, period.....

The teams he won with were because of Walsh

Priceless
05-26-2013, 01:41 PM
It is very simple
Whitehead lived of SW's efforts and when that ran out they sucked. Gendron needs to get it back or they will fail, period.....

The teams he won with were because of Walsh

That's an interesting story line you've got going there, but it's NOT what happened to Maine hockey.

WIrinkrat
05-26-2013, 02:19 PM
Look, BC was disgruntled, Campbell Blair was disgruntled, Grant was, Guy was, is there some kind of pattern there? Who is common throughout?

And those other guys all moved on quietly and with class. BC waited for Tim to die then backed the bus over him 10 more times. This is not a defense of TW its a commentary on why any new coach will have red flags about hiring BC unless theres already a strong personal relationship that predates this lapse of professional judgment

all bear
05-26-2013, 02:29 PM
And those other guys all moved on quietly and with class. BC waited for Tim to die then backed the bus over him 10 more times. This is not a defense of TW its a commentary on why any new coach will have red flags about hiring BC unless theres already a strong personal relationship that predates this lapse of professional judgment

Timmay's dead? I know it seemed like he was dead for many of us.......when is the funeral? Will BC not be invited? Do we need a koombaya session for everyones feelings?

walrus
05-26-2013, 02:40 PM
And those other guys all moved on quietly and with class.
yet somehow everyone knows "those other guys" were disgruntled. I'm sure Bob thought about what he did before he did it. I'm guessing if Red doesn't hire him its for reasons beyond what he said about Tims coaching.

Ma#1ne Hky
05-26-2013, 02:53 PM
Bottom line its NOW the Gendron ERA and lets look forward,there's plently of work to be done...plus the off-season is short at this point...my guess and maybe NOT a very good one is that Gendron goes with a clean slate and brings in 2 New Assistants,well maybe not new to Maine but it will be his OWN staff and I think one name that will come up will be Guy Perron. I am looking forward to the NEW LOOK that will be Maine Hockey for the 2013-14 season and beyond.

rufus
05-26-2013, 02:55 PM
I think the point is more that its clear from BCs comments that he wasnt supportive of TW when he was the coach. Whether TW was doing the right things or not he is doomed to fail if he an asst or assts who are undermining his authority from within. BC may not have spoken out publicly before but he clearly had not bought in....and you cant hide that from people no matter how hard you try.

That would absolutely be a red flag for me...

Maybe he tried to point that stuff out to Whitehead, to make his points with him, and was ignored, or told to remember his place as an assistant. maybe it would have been better if he had quit on principle, said "it's time to move on". Some people would respect him more for doing so, some might see it as quitting.

Priceless
05-26-2013, 03:17 PM
I think one name that will come up will be Guy Perron.
I'm driving the bandwagon! Plenty of room; climb aboard!

CollegeHockeyRinkReport
05-26-2013, 03:27 PM

Am I correct they would have missed each other by a year at Maine with Perron graduating in 90?

all bear
05-26-2013, 03:36 PM

They could parlais vous to each other and only the french canadian players would know what the hell they were talking about.

Priceless
05-26-2013, 03:38 PM
Am I correct they would have missed each other by a year at Maine with Perron graduating in 90?

Yes, but he was an assistant on the 91-92 team.

Drew S.
05-26-2013, 04:52 PM
Yes, but he was an assistant on the 91-92 team.

How about Grant coming back for a year or two. That would be quite the **** you to Timmy. The notion that Timmy was hard done by is beyond ridiculous. He was given plenty of time to turn it around and it didn't happen.

Priceless
05-26-2013, 05:09 PM
How about Grant coming back for a year or two. That would be quite the **** you to Timmy. The notion that Timmy was hard done by is beyond ridiculous. He was given plenty of time to turn it around and it didn't happen.

Red and Guy behind the bench, Grant back in his perch above center ice and give Tyler some graying hair and about 6" platform shoes and it'll be my freshman year all over again! Hell, I might ask for my job back to be a part of that! :D

Ma#1ne Hky
05-26-2013, 06:07 PM
How about Grant coming back for a year or two. That would be quite the **** you to Timmy. The notion that Timmy was hard done by is beyond ridiculous. He was given plenty of time to turn it around and it didn't happen.MAYBE Standbrook would like to be a Volunteer Assistant and help out with the Goaltenders,just a thought...unless he's got another Volunteer gig @ Denver..?

Dirt
05-26-2013, 09:46 PM
I'm a little disappointed that Corkum did not get the job. I would of at least signed him for 2/3 years just to see how he would do, the players love him. Him being the head coach of the U-18's has to help with recruiting.

Fishman'81
05-27-2013, 02:05 AM
I don't think that Corkum got a fair shake. If somehow Tim would have been fired over Christmas break (which would have been entirely warranted), then at least Bob would've been given the opportunity to coach the same crew, which would have been invaluable in assessing him vis-a-vis Whitehead.

I'm not as sanguine re: Gendron as most of you are. He's a good guy, and a Maine home-boy, yes... But I was looking for a starving and young up-and-comer who was willing to stake his entire professional career on the job, a la Walsh.

I don't see that sort of thing happening right now. I figure that Red will be well-liked, and given the same long-leash that Tim received, win lose or draw.

Ma#1ne Hky
05-27-2013, 05:46 AM
I don't think that Corkum got a fair shake. If somehow Tim would have been fired over Christmas break (which would have been entirely warranted), then at least Bob would've been given the opportunity to coach the same crew, which would have been invaluable in assessing him vis-a-vis Whitehead.

I'm not as sanguine re: Gendron as most of you are. He's a good guy, and a Maine home-boy, yes... But I was looking for a starving and young up-and-comer who was willing to stake his entire professional career on the job, a la Walsh.

I don't see that sort of thing happening right now. I figure that Red will be well-liked, and given the same long-leash that Tim received, win lose or draw.It will all depend on who he hires for Assistants,he may have a Veteran Assistant along with a so called up and coming Assistant that he would take under his wing/show him the ropes and get the experience behind the bench and the recruiting trail,could be a worth while hiring down the road say 8 to 10 years...maybe..???