PDA

View Full Version : Maine Hockey Thread II: The Search for Spock

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

Priceless
05-24-2013, 10:34 PM
Considering the names we heard today, I am pleasantly surprised. I'm not as excited as if it had been Gwoz, but I am genuinely happy for Red. He was the assistant for my years with the team and I have already heard from a current player that they are excited to get started. It is so weird...back then Red seemed like a natural successor to Shawn, then he left and became a lifelong assistant. Now all these years later he is back. One thing I can promise is that we will see one of the best-conditioned teams in Hockey East. I expect the dryland training will be epic.

chripy
05-24-2013, 10:48 PM
one thing i can promise is that we will see one of the best-conditioned teams in hockey east. I expect the dryland training will be epic.
yay!!!

sandiegoblkbr
05-24-2013, 11:08 PM
since based on his current appearance, he needs a new nickname other than 'red', i propose his new nickname be 'whitehead'.

:d

lol!

gscott13
05-24-2013, 11:27 PM
I've said two things all along---first, was that forming a committee was not some big sham to lend bob corkum credibility... If they wanted corkum they would have hired corkum right away...the guy had no chance...

Second, jack capuano coming back to Maine was soooo completely unrealistic that it was not even funny. Numerous posters on here were really reaching with their claims of, "I'm sure he'd like to home for dinner every night." Oh yea...leave 800k a year on the table just so he can be home for dinner, lol....

Red will do a good job. He really needs a good recruiter though and it's not bob corkum or kerluke...

As a unh fan I am very happy with this hire :)

congrats. you bet "the field" and won... way to go out on a limb....

gscott13
05-24-2013, 11:37 PM
i'm intrigued by the hiring... say what you will about the "career assistant" role... he was on a championship staff at maine, nj, and yale...hopefully, it's not a coincidence... better selection than tortorella, for sure... oz would have been interesting too given the midwest/how are his ushl contacts perspective...

DoubleA
05-25-2013, 01:08 AM
Well, it cant be Tortorella because Hokeydad said it will be Corkum....enuff said.
Hokeydad was...........................wrong again.

Ma#1ne Hky
05-25-2013, 01:16 AM
The Reports(many)say he'll be offered the Job,remember how crazy this search has gone...Gendron could say Thanks but No Thanks..possible.

Fishman'81
05-25-2013, 02:04 AM
This supposedly-earnest "search" crashed and burned a while ago, but I'm still very disappointed with the finalists, no matter who gets the nod... Timmy drove this program to the brink, and then Abbott pushed it off the cliff.

Red-nose is a nice guy, he might curry favor in Quebec via speaking French, but I have a feeling that Maine won't rise-up from the ashes in my lifetime. My only hope is that Gendron retains Corks, because it's certainly going to take a group-effort to keep Maine's nose above water for a long while.

CollegeHockeyRinkReport
05-25-2013, 02:39 AM
This supposedly-earnest "search" crashed and burned a while ago, but I'm still very disappointed with the finalists, no matter who gets the nod... Timmy drove this program to the brink, and then Abbott pushed it off the cliff.

Red-nose is a nice guy, he might curry favor in Quebec via speaking French, but I have a feeling that Maine won't rise-up from the ashes in my lifetime. My only hope is that Gendron retains Corks, because it's certainly going to take a group-effort to keep Maine's nose above water for a long while.

I'd put it at 0.01% chance Corkum is retained. I'll have a story Saturday afternoon at SBNation's college hockey blog detailing why I believe Gendron will succeed at Maine. I believe Gwozdecky, Leaman, Montgomery would have been better choices, but those three didn't work out.

Here is our story on Gendron being offered the position:
http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog.com/2013/5/24/4364596/maine-coaching-search-red-gendron-tim-whitehead-bob-corkum-mark-osiecki-black-bears-hockey

Fishman'81
05-25-2013, 02:52 AM
I hope you're right... Still not excited about the choice.

all bear
05-25-2013, 06:20 AM
I hope you're right... Still not excited about the choice.

Its not so much important that we all be excited, moreso to just win baby. If Red is as good as touted, they'll win and the excitement will follow. Is he charismatic like Walshy, hell no but he did learn a thing or two from him while here and he obviously has translated that into success in the following years. Something about him obviously swayed the "search" committee . Who knows, maybe he and Standbrook are on good terms. :);)

In any event, an interesting choice, a head scratcher, but maybe ultimately the best choice of all. I have little doubt he's a great teacher of the game and if what Priceless says is true about the physical training that will be a non issue too. I say lets give the guy a chance and see what he can do. Cant do any worse. All selfishness aside, I do think its cool that a guy that has given his life to the game finally gets his shot and molding his own program....could be a work of art, who knows.

Runsub5
05-25-2013, 06:47 AM
Gendron certainly has the knowledge and experience and finally has the opportunity to move forward as a head coach of a division 1 program. Very pleased for him. One would think that with his years of experience he would have an extensive recruiting network and would hire his own assistants and recruiter. If his staff can't recruit he will be no better than the previous coach.

walrus
05-25-2013, 06:48 AM
Red certainly wasn't on my radar when the search started, guess we'll have to see what happens. I remember him as a personable guy back in the early 90s. Does anyone know what his role was with Yale? Was he a recruiter or D guy or.....?

all bear
05-25-2013, 07:08 AM
Gendron certainly has the knowledge and experience and finally has the opportunity to move forward as a head coach of a division 1 program. Very pleased for him. One would think that with his years of experience he would have an extensive recruiting network and would hire his own assistants and recruiter. If his staff can't recruit he will be no better than the previous coach.

I mean when you look at this realistically, all that has followed this guy has been success after success. And I'm talking major successes. We may have, to quote an old hockey guru, a diamond in the ruff here. ;) Maybe that's not quite right, look at his resume, its certainly a stellar one.

Hockeyman99
05-25-2013, 07:16 AM
Congrats to Red, I hope that Red will reach out to Corkum and offer him a position, and hope that Bob will put his pride aside and accept. I have tons of respect for Corkum and don't think that he was given the opportunity to really coach the team in the past. A knowledgeable hockey guy with so much insight, he has earned the respect of the team and has much to share. He should be part of the resurgence of Maine Hockey! With Grant as a kind of Yoda figure imparting his wisdom when asked.... It's a great day to play hockey!

walrus
05-25-2013, 07:28 AM
I mean when you look at this realistically, all that has followed this guy has been success after success. And I'm talking major successes. We may have, to quote an old hockey guru, a diamond in the ruff here. ;) Maybe that's not quite right, look at his resume, its certainly a stellar one.
2 D1 rings and Stanley Cups, the guy certainly has had some part in those. The more I think about it the more I like the pick. If he can get Assts to compliment him and someone who can recruit, I m guessing Red can close the deal. Should be fun

all bear
05-25-2013, 07:47 AM
2 D1 rings and Stanley Cups, the guy certainly has had some part in those. The more I think about it the more I like the pick. If he can get Assts to compliment him and someone who can recruit, I m guessing Red can close the deal. Should be fun

I'm with ya on this one. The more I think about it, the better I like it. He's well respected and has plenty of contacts. I'm giving this a thumbs up now. If he's in the no team outworks us camp, I think Corkum would fit that philosophy nicely if thats what he wants to do.

Runsub5
05-25-2013, 07:53 AM
I have nothing personal against Corkum, but I don't want him to be associated with the program. I would doubt very much that Gendron would retain him. Just my opinion.

MEbear
05-25-2013, 07:59 AM
I mean when you look at this realistically, all that has followed this guy has been success after success. And I'm talking major successes. We may have, to quote an old hockey guru, a diamond in the ruff here. ;) Maybe that's not quite right, look at his resume, its certainly a stellar one.I agree and think he'll turn out to be an excellent coach, maybe even better than any of the other names that have been mentioned. He's certainly paid his dues and has tons of experience and has had great success at all levels of the game from winning Stanley Cups to Division one national championships, and he's one of our own as a past assistant under Walsh. At this point the best thing we can all do is to give him our support and several years worth of patience while he attempts to rebuild what Whitehead tore down. There's a good young nucleus of kids in Orono right now and I have a feeling it may not take as long as some might think. For the first time in many years, I'm excited about what this next hockey season will bring!

Pink Pony
05-25-2013, 08:29 AM
I have nothing personal against Corkum, but I don't want him to be associated with the program. I would doubt very much that Gendron would retain him. Just my opinion.

Agree, clean house.