PDA

View Full Version : Maine Hockey Thread II: The Search for Spock

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

irishfan85
05-24-2013, 01:11 PM
It is not Corkum. He's been told it's not him.

maineiac
05-24-2013, 01:16 PM
So has Maine's schedule been put out yet..? 34 games/20 Hockey East & 14 OOC...the OOC are..? Vermont(2)UMass(2)AIC(2)St.Lawrence(2)FLA.Classic= Princeton(1)/and either Cornell or UNH(1)...Portland game..? Figure 10 of the 14 OOC are set..? Anyone know the other four and if the above that I put down are not right.

Maine will be travelling to Hamden, CT to play one game at Quinnipiac this coming season. Date yet to be announced.

J.D.
05-24-2013, 01:16 PM
wait, which torts? could be john once he's fired!!!

CollegeHockeyRinkReport
05-24-2013, 01:23 PM
http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog.com/2013/5/23/4350660/ncaa-college-hockey-nhl-maine-black-bears-coaching-search-jack-capuano-bob-corkum

Updated my story from last night to add the certainty of Tuesday presser and no Corkum.

amherstblackbear
05-24-2013, 01:31 PM
If its Tortorella count me as unimpressed. Dont tell me this 'committee' could have spent all this time and this is the best they can do.:rolleyes:

Gwozdecky, Capuano, and Montgomery would have been exciting choices.

The successful, if egomaniacal, Eastern Junior coach would have been intriguing. High-risk, high-reward?

Corkum . . . I would definitely give him a chance to demonstrate what he'd do at the helm. I'd give him a chance to prove me wrong. But I can't get past the fact that his tenure coincides almost perfectly with the bottom falling out. I just can't.

Red Gendron? I don't think so. But then I'm the crazy person who thinks that the landscape of college hockey has changed so much that I don't put much value on ties to the 92-93 season. And I can't get past the career assistant thing.

Jim Tortorella, Pellerin, and/or Osiecki? I guess I'll hang around and watch from afar. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.Best I can do.

amherstblackbear
05-24-2013, 01:34 PM
wait, which torts? could be john once he's fired!!!

Hey, I'm glad I got the job and all, but this search committee stinks. I tried talking to the committee, but they stink. So I've just decided to give myself the job. The committee is trying, and they have talent. But they just stink at searching.

BassAle
05-24-2013, 01:35 PM
Gwozdecky, Capuano, and Montgomery would have been exciting choices.

The successful, if egomaniacal, Eastern Junior coach would have been intriguing. High-risk, high-reward?

Corkum . . . I would definitely give him a chance to demonstrate what he'd do at the helm. I'd give him a chance to prove me wrong. But I can't get past the fact that his tenure coincides almost perfectly with the bottom falling out. I just can't.

Red Gendron? I don't think so. But then I'm the crazy person who thinks that the landscape of college hockey has changed so much that I don't put much value on ties to the 92-93 season. And I can't get past the career assistant thing.

Jim Tortorella, Pellerin, and/or Osiecki? I guess I'll hang around and watch from afar. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.Best I can do.

agreed almost 100%

Priceless
05-24-2013, 01:42 PM
We used to go up against Torts when he coached at Cony. Never in a million years would I have predicted he would rise to become the head coach of the state's flagship team. I thought Brian McCloskey could but I am amazed Maine has apparently chosen Jim. Wow.

gscott13
05-24-2013, 01:51 PM
We used to go up against Torts when he coached at Cony. Never in a million years would I have predicted he would rise to become the head coach of the state's flagship team. I thought Brian McCloskey could but I am amazed Maine has apparently chosen Jim. Wow.

before he was at cony, he had coached at brunswick. i missed out on him coaching me because (my understanding) some parents didn't like how he treated the players.... he had some good talent at cony in the early 90's, just not enough to surpass waterville, lewiston, dom's and nya. Ed Washuk in net, Keith Deschamps, Bryan Cheever, drawing a blank as it's been a while, but they were solid.

those nya teams gutted brunswick/ararat (Couture, Couture, Hardin, Wallace, Saxton, Saxton, Coombs, Coombs, Coombs, Johnson, Treworgy, Flower)

Hockeypuck
05-24-2013, 01:55 PM
I am amazed Maine has apparently chosen Jim. Wow.Looks like I'll continue to save money. In my wildest dreams I never would have imagined a downgrade from Whitehead, but that appears to be the case.

walrus
05-24-2013, 01:58 PM
Looks like I'll continue to save money. In my wildest dreams I never would have imagined a downgrade from Whitehead, but that appears to be the case.
Folks are convinced its Torts? That ain't going to go over well, that name won't fill Alfond on its own, thats for sure.

Drew S.
05-24-2013, 02:00 PM
Looks like I'll continue to save money. In my wildest dreams I never would have imagined a downgrade from Whitehead, but that appears to be the case.

Not to toot my own horn, but didn't I say for years be careful what you wish for? He definitely isn't my first choice either, but I sincerely hopes everyone gives him a chance. Our support is what the program needs to get back to where it was (a coach like Shawn would obviously help to, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards).

BobF
05-24-2013, 02:59 PM
It was posted on the Facebook page that his wife met with a realtor yesterday to put the house on the market. I had a reporter looking for a second source on the announcement of Corkum being Monday, another reporter is looking for a second source that the new coach is someone else (neither Corkum nor Capuano) and the announcement will be Tuesday. This promises to be an eventful weekend.

Posted on "the facebook page"??? Who's page?

No offense to Jim, but if we hire Jim Tortorella, and it took this long to do it I will be completely underwhelmed! Had heard rumblings they were waiting for NHL season to end to talk to a few applicants. We hear there is an impressive group of applicants, but they only confirm the same 4, for the most part unimpressive lot, I refuse to believe this. If it is Jim T., then clearly we got the wrong Jim and this will do nothing to fire up the fan base. Unless of course John shows up and challenges to fight us unless we throw our support behind Jim.

Guess I'll wait like the rest of you. Was at Maine with Jim, good goaltender, has had a nice career in coaching, but talk about a "safe" and "dull" pick. Isn't that what we had before?

Maineiak
05-24-2013, 03:08 PM
BREAKING NEWS! (http://bangordailynews.com/2013/05/24/sports/umaine-sports/new-university-of-maine-hockey-coach-to-be-named-next-week/)

Well, not really. Not even worth clicking. :rolleyes:

AMC
05-24-2013, 03:16 PM
I'm not going to get upset over something that hasn't happened yet.

But if it's Tortorella, I won't be that happy.

Priceless
05-24-2013, 03:21 PM
Not to toot my own horn, but didn't I say for years be careful what you wish for? He definitely isn't my first choice either, but I sincerely hopes everyone gives him a chance. Our support is what the program needs to get back to where it was (a coach like Shawn would obviously help to, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards).
*cough*

Posted on "the facebook page"??? Who's page?

The Facebook group that had been touted in this thread has morphed into a group for University of Maine Hockey Fans. It's where Bob posted his letter (via Laura Reed) before coming here.

walrus
05-24-2013, 03:27 PM
Oz is supposed to be one of the 2 finalists

Hockeypuck
05-24-2013, 03:42 PM
Oz is supposed to be one of the 2 finalistsI'd rather have him than Tortorella, but it's hard to get excited about either one.

walrus
05-24-2013, 03:47 PM
I'd rather have him than Tortorella, but it's hard to get excited about either one.
Who knows what is right at this point, you have guys digging to get the scoop and throwing names out there. Not sure why you'd have to protect Oz's name from being made public, he doesn't even have a job.

Priceless
05-24-2013, 03:50 PM
It's on Twitter via Mike McMahon so I can confirm that Maine hasn't made a final pick yet. They have announced that there will be an announcement on Tuesday at 4:30, but they still haven't decided what they're going to announce yet.