This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dover4345 View Post
    There is no secret guy that Maine has in mind and has had in mind the whole time. It will go to one of the guys being discussed---Gendron, Tortorella, corkum...osieki and Gwoz are both long shots for different reasons...
    There is a guy out there with Maine connections not named Gendron, Corkum or Tortorella...We will see soon.
    https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
    Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

• Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
      There is a guy out there with Maine connections not named Gendron, Corkum or Tortorella...We will see soon.
      Pellerin? With no college experience, no network in the ushl, bchl preps, NTdp etc., and no network within college hockey to have an idea who would good assistants? That guy? Good luck with that....

Comment

• Re: Maine Hockey Thread II: The Search for Spock

Originally posted by walrus View Post
        Its a sad day for Maine hockey and really for all of UMaine, Arnie Davis passed away this morning. He was 93 years old, lived a full life from what I knew. For a lot of you he might have been known as the Potato man as he was quick to buy baked potatoes for opposing fans to welcome them to Alfond. I think either he or his son supplied the taters that were used in the Alfond concessions. I know he was involved in Potato farms in Maine and in North Dakota. He loved Maine hockey but he also loved most other sports at Umaine. He used to drive the 170 miles or so down from Easton to Football, Hockey and BBall games. He did it just a few years ago on a regular basis, he was a true fan of Maine athletics. He was also a proud alum.

When we first met He treated my then young son like gold always had some joke to tell him or some kind of potato pin to give him. My son really enjoyed getting one of Arnies cards, anyone who got one will know what I mean. It was always a pleasure to chat with Arnie before a game and I missed that the last few seasons, RIP Arnie.
        sad news indeed. a true gentleman.

Comment

RIP

Stopping the coach chatter for a moment to celebrate a life well lived.

Here's a profile from back in 2001, on the occasion of his 80th(!) birthday.
          http://archive.bangordailynews.com/2...-alfond-arena/
          1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by dover4345 View Post
            Pellerin? With no college experience, no network in the ushl, bchl preps, NTdp etc., and no network within college hockey to have an idea who would good assistants? That guy? Good luck with that....
            Nope. Not Pellerin. No chance.
            https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
            Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Whether Gwoz is 2nd 3rd or 4th best, I'm not too concerned, he is the best available among proven coaches. Now maybe their is a young stud out there(Fishman sure likes that guy at a d3 school) but I'll love to have Gwoz for a few years.
              I certainly would be good with Gwoz, too, but Heenan's motor is always at red-line, and he's young and hungry.

It's probably a waste of time to talk about him in this context, but I truly believe that he'd have all you guys comparing him (favorably) to Shawn in a very short span of time.

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
                Nope. Not Pellerin. No chance.
                If an AHL head has no chance, I'm guessing your guy isn't an AHL assistant. Scratch Weinrich. And I think we ruled out Cronin . . .

Maybe Campbell Blair is getting a second look?? Guy Perron wants back in?? I'm reaching . . .
                Last edited by amherstblackbear; 05-13-2013, 01:49 AM.
                1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Well at least BobF has us thinking again for the start of the week..! Hockey talk is alive and well(maybe).

Comment

I'm not interested. Commute would be a killer.

Comment

Cronin?
                      'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

There is a nice article in todays BDN about Shawn Walsh's oldest son Tyler's graduation from UMaine.

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/05/1...s-from-umaine/

RIP as well Arnie, a true die hard Maine fan.

Comment

• Originally posted by True Blue Fan View Post
                          There is a nice article in todays BDN about Shawn Walsh's oldest son Tyler's graduation from UMaine.

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/05/1...s-from-umaine/

RIP as well Arnie, a true die hard Maine fan.
                          Met his dad was a great dad

Comment

Its a sad day for Maine hockey and really for all of UMaine, Arnie Davis passed away this morning. He was 93 years old, lived a full life from what I knew. For a lot of you he might have been known as the Potato man as he was quick to buy baked potatoes for opposing fans to welcome them to Alfond. I think either he or his son supplied the taters that were used in the Alfond concessions. I know he was involved in Potato farms in Maine and in North Dakota. He loved Maine hockey but he also loved most other sports at Umaine. He used to drive the 170 miles or so down from Easton to Football, Hockey and BBall games. He did it just a few years ago on a regular basis, he was a true fan of Maine athletics. He was also a proud alum.

When we first met He treated my then young son like gold always had some joke to tell him or some kind of potato pin to give him. My son really enjoyed getting one of Arnies cards, anyone who got one will know what I mean. It was always a pleasure to chat with Arnie before a game and I missed that the last few seasons, RIP Arnie.
                            Bummer. He was great to meet when we made a trip up there in 2004. I was lucky enough to get his "card" that night; my only trip to Alfond for a game. He certainly embodied the Maine spirit that locals almost always bestow upon visitors of the great state of Maine (dbag hillbillies whining in the Ellsworth Walmart parking lot not included ).
                            Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                            The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
                              If an AHL head has no chance, I'm guessing your guy isn't an AHL assistant. Scratch Weinrich. And I think we ruled out Cronin . . .

Maybe Campbell Blair is getting a second look?? Guy Perron wants back in?? I'm reaching . . .
                              I'd take Guy. He has been an NHL scout for the last several years, He has the contacts.
                              Been a long time, been a long time been a long, lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely time

Thank you, Tim. You did what you could and could do no more.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                                I certainly would be good with Gwoz, too, but Heenan's motor is always at red-line, and he's young and hungry.

It's probably a waste of time to talk about him in this context, but I truly believe that he'd have all you guys comparing him (favorably) to Shawn in a very short span of time.
                                I'm sitting up now...tell me more about this guy

I have this card that I have no idea where it came from. It sits in my drawer at home. It says "My Card". Hmmmmm, I wonder........I never met Arnie...he sounds like quite a guy. RIP
                                sure why not

Comment

Working...
                                X