PDA

View Full Version : Maine Hockey Thread II: The Search for Spock

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

sandiegoblkbr
05-07-2013, 07:09 AM
Cavanaugh could be the sleeper pick.

Yup.

If it's not Corkum, Cavanaugh is my pick.

Chuck Murray
05-07-2013, 07:14 AM
I'm sorry, I just don't see it with corkum. Maine was doing great with Timmy behind the bench before corkum arrived. Since corkum has been at Maine the program has been on a steady decline. How did corkum impact the program in a positive way that would make you think he's earned a shot to be head coach? He can't land top recruits, and he did not do anything spectacular in terms of player development. Sad to me how he threw whitehead under the bus too...corkum just has not proven anything in coaching yet. Maybe he will, but thus far he has not. And I wouldn't hire him until he proves he can positively impact a program. No recruit is going to go to Maine because corkum played in the nhl. Recruits don't remember corkum....he was a 3rd or 4th line guy...none of the top coaches in hockey east played in the nhl, so that argument is out the window as far as I'm concerned. If he could land top players he would have done it as an assistant. I'd take many over him, Tortorella included.

... and to be honest, I'm sure many potential recruits would be more intrigued by Tortorella's last name (heck - a few might actually confuse him with his brother :confused: ) than by a career 3rd/4th line forward who played for a string of lousy NHL teams back when said recruits were still probably in their diapers.

Personally, I'm hoping Tortorella does stay at UNH, and I'm honestly surprised his name hasn't come up more often in the UMaine discussions. Gotta think he is on the committee's radar ... BTW, whatever happened to the committee? :confused: Lying low 'til Fourth of July for the real fireworks to begin??? :cool: :p

all bear
05-07-2013, 07:40 AM
... and to be honest, I'm sure many potential recruits would be more intrigued by Tortorella's last name (heck - a few might actually confuse him with his brother :confused: ) than by a career 3rd/4th line forward who played for a string of lousy NHL teams back when said recruits were still probably in their diapers.

Personally, I'm hoping Tortorella does stay at UNH, and I'm honestly surprised his name hasn't come up more often in the UMaine discussions. Gotta think he is on the committee's radar ... BTW, whatever happened to the committee? :confused: Lying low 'til Fourth of July for the real fireworks to begin??? :cool: :p

Nah, committee is loaded with old farts that tend to fall asleep from time to time.

Cavanaugh ?? You are chitting me. What has he proven other than he can recruit? Everytime Jerwy sticks a pencil in his eye and Cav has to coach, he just drops the ball..er puck.....witness Maine sweep at BC. :D

Corkums wheelhouse is in getting the most out of his players and I think he would be successful at that, or he'd kill someone :). All he needs is a decent recruiter. Perron ?

Torts wife is entrenched in New Hampster....dont see him making any move there, especially since he would have to come to Maine as an assistant in charge of recruiting I would think under Corkum.

Hokydad
05-07-2013, 09:52 AM
Also, Tortorella has coached many elite usa teams. You have to work the festivals to be a candidate work those jobs. D1 assistants rarely work them anymore because they'd rather be recruiting. They did not pick corkum over all those other guys like you areninsinuating...the pool was actually very thin that they had to choose from. I believe Matt herr coached the team last year---and he's a prep coach, does that mean he should be a finalist for the Maine job?

All I was stating is that if you put the resumes of Tortorella and corkum down in front of you, Tortorella has many more accomplishments. What does corkum show? 5 years of contributing to running a program into the ground? Couple years in the EJ? Being an NHL player does not make u a great coach...many have made that mistake in the past...look at donato at Harvard....guy can't win to save his life....his only hope is albie occonnell....and donato was twice the player that corkum was....

Had nothing to do with Corkum showing up, had to do with SW's finger prints fading and Grant being gone.
He has the resume and it is eevry bit as good. There is a reason why USA Hockey is going with him. Dont get confused on some of the lower level events vs an Ivan Hinkla type, apples and oranges.

Tort LOVES UNH, stay there... Like he said...

Cav is 0/20 on HC jobs, no way he wopuld be the one for maine. Contrary to what you think he is not a good recruiter. To say "come play at BC because we are BC" is a huge difference than saying "come play at Maine because I am the head coach"
Not in same world, aint happening

amherstblackbear
05-07-2013, 10:25 AM
Agreed on Cavanaugh. The only thing that gets him extra consideration, in my book, is that he was around from the beginning -- back when BC hockey was still extricating itself from the Cedorchuk mistake. Back then, it was BU that had all the momentum, and it did take vision to create the juggernaut that BC became.

But that's ancient history. The skeptics are right, I'm afraid. I'm sure BC doesn't have it completely easy - they have to fend off other elite programs as they pursue the most sought-after juniors and prep school kids. But that experience isn't going to get you very far if your job is convincing a goalie to stay in Maine rather than go to Providence, or convincing some kid from Manitoba to go to Orono over St. Cloud.

I think Maine would do better trying to peel an assistant away from someone like Hakstol than York (provided the guy had any experience recruiting east of the Mississippi).

dover4345
05-07-2013, 10:37 AM
Had nothing to do with Corkum showing up, had to do with SW's finger prints fading and Grant being gone.
He has the resume and it is eevry bit as good. There is a reason why USA Hockey is going with him. Dont get confused on some of the lower level events vs an Ivan Hinkla type, apples and oranges.

Tort LOVES UNH, stay there... Like he said...

Cav is 0/20 on HC jobs, no way he wopuld be the one for maine. Contrary to what you think he is not a good recruiter. To say "come play at BC because we are BC" is a huge difference than saying "come play at Maine because I am the head coach"
Not in same world, aint happening

Again, you have to work the festivals to be included in the Hlinka pool. Matt Herr was the coach last year---are you suggesting that because he coached that team he should be a head coach at the D1 level? Corkum did not get the U18 job over guys like Cav, Tortorella, etc... None of those guys work the festivals.

And there is simply no comparing Mike Cavanaugh and Bob Corkum. BC is BC because of the work that York and Cav have done together. The program was a mess when those two showed up. Maine and BU were getting the top players and Cav was the lead recruiter that turned that around. He has a track record that shows he can identify and attract top talent. How can you say he is not a good recruiter? 4 national titles. Clearly he has shown an ability better than the guys at Michigan, Minnesota, North Dakota, etc---other schools that get the creme of the crop players. That is something that Corkum has not done. I ask you this---what has Corkum accomplished as a coach? What do we KNOW about him? You can assume all you want, but the bottom line is he has done nothing. Stating, "he gets the most out of his players," has not been proven. Thats an assumption. We KNOW tortorella gets the most out of his players because of his past track record. We know cav can build a winner based off of what he has done at BC. We know that Red Gendron knows hockey and knows what it takes to win because he has two national titles and a cup ring as a COACH. If Maine goes with Corkum its a risk. His resume is not on par with those other guys. He has not proven he can win or recruit---if Im the AD I want someone who has proven those things.

And in response to your comment about Timmy winning from the 2003-2007 era being accredited to Stanbrook---he was a volunteer. When the players were there Timmy won. Corkum and Kerluke have shown that they can not sell top players. The talent dried up and Timmy started to lose. Do you honestly think Timmy wanted corkum in the office from April-October? No...he would have encouraged him to be all over the map looking for players. But Corkum has the pro mentality. He thinks X's and O's will win games. 90% of the time the team with the best players will win the game. And I got news for you---if Corkum is named the head coach Kerluke isnt going anywhere---and it will be more of the same up in Orono.

They need someone who knows how to rercruit and attract top players. Corkum has shown that he cant sell. I think a Blaise MacDonald type would be perfect. Blaise has energy and a PROVEN track record.

Hokydad
05-07-2013, 10:43 AM
Again, you have to work the festivals to be included in the Hlinka pool. Matt Herr was the coach last year---are you suggesting that because he coached that team he should be a head coach at the D1 level? Corkum did not get the U18 job over guys like Cav, Tortorella, etc... None of those guys work the festivals.

And there is simply no comparing Mike Cavanaugh and Bob Corkum. BC is BC because of the work that York and Cav have done together. The program was a mess when those two showed up. Maine and BU were getting the top players and Cav was the lead recruiter that turned that around. He has a track record that shows he can identify and attract top talent. How can you say he is not a good recruiter? 4 national titles. Clearly he has shown an ability better than the guys at Michigan, Minnesota, North Dakota, etc---other schools that get the creme of the crop players. That is something that Corkum has not done. I ask you this---what has Corkum accomplished as a coach? What do we KNOW about him? You can assume all you want, but the bottom line is he has done nothing. Stating, "he gets the most out of his players," has not been proven. Thats an assumption. We KNOW tortorella gets the most out of his players because of his past track record. We know cav can build a winner based off of what he has done at BC. We know that Red Gendron knows hockey and knows what it takes to win because he has two national titles and a cup ring as a COACH. If Maine goes with Corkum its a risk. His resume is not on par with those other guys. He has not proven he can win or recruit---if Im the AD I want someone who has proven those things.

And in response to your comment about Timmy winning from the 2003-2007 era being accredited to Stanbrook---he was a volunteer. When the players were there Timmy won. Corkum and Kerluke have shown that they can not sell top players. The talent dried up and Timmy started to lose. Do you honestly think Timmy wanted corkum in the office from April-October? No...he would have encouraged him to be all over the map looking for players. But Corkum has the pro mentality. He thinks X's and O's will win games. 90% of the time the team with the best players will win the game. And I got news for you---if Corkum is named the head coach Kerluke isnt going anywhere---and it will be more of the same up in Orono.

They need someone who knows how to rercruit and attract top players. Corkum has shown that he cant sell. I think a Blaise MacDonald type would be perfect. Blaise has energy and a PROVEN track record.

York and Cav together? Could have been York and a seeing eye dog and results would have been the same.

I like Blaise, can recruit and proved can do it at a non BC type school. Just needs to be a little more positive with players.
The Jack Daniels incident migt not help

all bear
05-07-2013, 10:44 AM
We already tried one reject from UML.....lol.

BoSox3066
05-07-2013, 12:33 PM
At least Timmy got the NCAAs once in a while, McDonald's proven track record is blowing it and finishing on the bubble with good teams. No thanks. Heck I'd rather have Toot Cahoon if we're going X-UMass system coaches.

gscott13
05-07-2013, 01:48 PM
over in the uconn thread their is talk that the job has been offered to cavanaugh

Ma#1ne Hky
05-07-2013, 05:47 PM
over in the uconn thread their is talk that the job has been offered to cavanaughLooks like he's going to be a Huskie...surprised that Gwozdecky didn't get the job at UConn...well now it's down to UAA & Maine....

CollegeHockeyRinkReport
05-07-2013, 06:38 PM
Looks like he's going to be a Huskie...surprised that Gwozdecky didn't get the job at UConn...well now it's down to UAA & Maine....

There wasn't enough commitment from admin at UConn for Gwozdecky to feel comfortable taking the job. Plain and simple.

Priceless
05-07-2013, 06:54 PM
There wasn't enough commitment from admin at UConn for Gwozdecky to feel comfortable taking the job. Plain and simple.

That should make the folks at Hockey East comfortable.

Someone with knowledge of the committee's work says fired Ohio State coach Mark Osiecki is the front-runner for the Maine job. This is, to my knowledge, the first "leak" about anything the committee is doing. I don't buy it for a minute, but it is what it is. I have been all over Twitter saying it should be Gwozdecky, but I still think it'll be Corkum. None of my usual sources has any idea who the new coach will be or when it will be announced.

Priceless
05-07-2013, 06:56 PM
This was just posted on the BDN website (http://bangordailynews.com/2013/05/07/sports/ice-hockey-sports/boston-college-assistant-cavanaugh-to-be-named-uconn-hockey-coach-tortorella-gendron-interview-for-maine-job/)

Maine athletic director Steve Abbott said Monday that the hockey search committee had begun interviewing candidates and he hoped to have a list of finalists within two weeks.

Sources have indicated that two of the candidates who have been interviewed are Jim Tortorella and Dennis “Red” Gendron. Tortorella is a former Maine goalie and current University of New Hampshire assistant coach and Gendron is a former Maine assistant coach and current Yale assistant.

Another name that was mentioned was Scott Pellerin, Maine’s first Hobey Baker Award winner (1992) and the current head coach of the Bridgeport Sound Tigers, the American Hockey League affiliate of the New York Islanders.

Abbott said he couldn’t discuss any developments.

amherstblackbear
05-07-2013, 07:09 PM
I like the Osiecki leak, if for no other reason than its utter randomness - nobody but nobody was talking him up. Which almost makes it believable. I mean . . . why not?

It still seems really unlikely, but Abbott's obviously decided he's had enough of publicity, so who knows.

Priceless
05-07-2013, 07:51 PM
A BC hockey source says Cavanaugh has taken the UConn job per Greg Joyce of The Heights

CollegeHockeyRinkReport
05-07-2013, 08:35 PM
That should make the folks at Hockey East comfortable.

Someone with knowledge of the committee's work says fired Ohio State coach Mark Osiecki is the front-runner for the Maine job. This is, to my knowledge, the first "leak" about anything the committee is doing. I don't buy it for a minute, but it is what it is. I have been all over Twitter saying it should be Gwozdecky, but I still think it'll be Corkum. None of my usual sources has any idea who the new coach will be or when it will be announced.

No money for Gwozdecky. Plain and simple. It might be Corkum, but I talked to someone who has spoken with a member of search committee who said they are doing their due diligence and it is no forgone conclusion like many on Internet think. I've heard Osiecki, Gwozdecky, Tortorella, Corkum and Gendron. I think Pellerin is a long shot as he has a job in AHL from his standpoint and from Maine's standpoint no college coaching experience.

amherstblackbear
05-07-2013, 08:52 PM
I think Pellerin is a long shot as he has a job in AHL from his standpoint and from Maine's standpoint no college coaching experience.
There's quite the UMaine mafia in the Isles organization, with Snow, Capuano, and Pellerin.

Would anyone travel to see a college tournament in NYC? Maybe when the Isles make their move? I like Estero, but maybe something to open the season? UConn as cosponsor?

/daydreaming

dover4345
05-08-2013, 12:43 AM
No money for Gwozdecky. Plain and simple. It might be Corkum, but I talked to someone who has spoken with a member of search committee who said they are doing their due diligence and it is no forgone conclusion like many on Internet think. I've heard Osiecki, Gwozdecky, Tortorella, Corkum and Gendron. I think Pellerin is a long shot as he has a job in AHL from his standpoint and from Maine's standpoint no college coaching experience.

Haha...why do people insist on staying stupid comments like this, "not enough money for him to take the job." "Not enough commitment from the administration." Haha...Gwoz wanted the job. He is quoted in the paper AFTER his interview stating how he has put his life on hold hoping to land the uconn job and that he could t stop looking at his phone. Cav beat him out for it. Plain and simple. Cav is much younger. Gwoz only has 6-8 years left in him, clearly uconn wanted more. I know it's a tough pill to swallow that you do not have the inside track, but uconn wanted Cav and is youth and his 4 national titles.... End of story...had nothing to with money or administration...uconn has a hell of a lot more money than Denver and is they wanted Gwoz money wouldn't have held them up...

Chuck Murray
05-08-2013, 09:53 AM
There's quite the UMaine mafia in the Isles organization, with Snow, Capuano, and Pellerin.

Jimmy Howard and Gustav Nyquist are doing pretty darned well on the ice in Motown these days too. :) :)