PDA

View Full Version : Maine Hockey Thread II: The Search for Spock

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

northeastern
05-06-2013, 08:56 AM
..not sure if this is related.. but I was at the Bruins gm Sat night & did not see Greg Cronin behind the Maple Leaf bench.. (possibly a side trip to Orono.. speculation on my part).. on the other hand.. did run into Jerry York & he was gracious enough for quick chat (sans eye patch) & he was looking/ doing much better with his ailment.. small world..

gscott13
05-06-2013, 09:03 AM
..not sure if this is related.. but I was at the Bruins gm Sat night & did not see Greg Cronin behind the Maple Leaf bench.. (possibly a side trip to Orono.. speculation on my part).. on the other hand.. did run into Jerry York & he was gracious enough for quick chat (sans eye patch) & he was looking/ doing much better with his ailment.. small world..

cronin was likely up above ice level working the headset... can't imagine the leafs telling him, "oh yeah, go ahead and skip our playoff game, we'll be alright"

Hokydad
05-06-2013, 09:23 AM
I have it on good word that Jim Tortorella is a front runner for the job and will be named a finalist. Can't really argue with his résumé. Colby's all time wins leader with a fantastic record, is in the D1 game right now with unh--so he knows the player pool, is in charge of the New England district and is a fixture within USA hockey, and finally he is a Maine alum. His resume and track record is certainly better than corkum.

He raves daily about how he loves UNH and it is "the only place I would leave Colby for"
Not sure how a D 3 coach and ast who coached high school for several years has a far superior resume. He doesnt.

If he did, he would be coaching the Ivan Hinkla USA World team this summer

If you think players from USHL and BCHL are going to Maine to play for a D 3 guy with no pro background etc you are valuing Maine Hockey far to highly. There has to be a reason to go there vs the other Hoceky East teams, he is not it. Not one kid has a clue who he is. He would be a solid assistant and eventual associate head coach. Will set program back for years if he gets it

He is in charge of New England by default. Mass District is what matters, New England is one of the worst pools every year and is known for politics and sending kids from programs because of the programs connections, not ther best players.

Hockeyman99
05-06-2013, 09:29 AM
It doesn't matter if it is deserved or not. He is guilty by association. He was standing right next to Timmay for the worst stretch of Maine hockey in decades. I think it would be pretty hard for the committee to overlook that.

Not in my mind. Not if you knew how little influence the assistants had.

Hockeyman99
05-06-2013, 09:31 AM
That would be an interesting pick.

Not sure if Jim has the personality to jump start the program. He's a tactician like Tim. Great x and o guy.

Nick Papagiorgio
05-06-2013, 09:32 AM
cronin was likely up above ice level working the headset... can't imagine the leafs telling him, "oh yeah, go ahead and skip our playoff game, we'll be alright"

Ha. Seriously. Never mind about that Stanley Cup thingy, I gots a D1 interview to make.

Hockeyman99
05-06-2013, 09:33 AM

Cronin was on the bench. The camera flashed to him several times when huddling with Carlyle.

northeastern
05-06-2013, 10:24 AM

..good point.

northeastern
05-06-2013, 10:26 AM
Cronin was on the bench. The camera flashed to him several times when huddling with Carlyle.

..i prob just missed him then. i wasn't far away.

amherstblackbear
05-06-2013, 12:14 PM
Wow, it seems like just yesterday that the university announced the formation of a committee . . .
(/joking)

I'm not sure I read this as evidence that all signs point to Corkum (though that wouldn't be shocking). I do think it's safe to draw a couple of conclusions. Now that DU and OSU have filled their vacancies, the lack of urgency reflects that (1) Maine is not worried about losing a candidate to UAA, and (2) Maine's internal shortlist does not overlap UConn's in any meaningful way. (Read: either Gowz told Maine that they aren't a good match for him, or Maine has already decided that the amount of money they would need to hire not only Gwoz but his preferred assistants just isn't there.)

Drew S.
05-06-2013, 01:02 PM
Wow, it seems like just yesterday that the university announced the formation of a committee . . .
(/joking)

I'm not sure I read this as evidence that all signs point to Corkum (though that wouldn't be shocking). I do think it's safe to draw a couple of conclusions. Now that DU and OSU have filled their vacancies, the lack of urgency reflects that (1) Maine is not worried about losing a candidate to UAA, and (2) Maine's internal shortlist does not overlap UConn's in any meaningful way. (Read: either Gowz told Maine that they aren't a good match for him, or Maine has already decided that the amount of money they would need to hire not only Gwoz but his preferred assistants just isn't there.)

At this point, who else do we really have for candidates? I think you're right on Gwoz, he's spent the last 20 years or so in Denver and probably wouldn't be very happy in a rural area like Orono. I can't see Tortorella, doesn't have much D-1 experience and didn't play any pro hockey. Pellerin has no college coaching expereince. Tremblay is intriguing, but he didn't play any pro hockey, doesn't have any ties to Maine, has no college coaching experience, plus I doubt he's ever been in a role that is very visible, no offense to the jr monarchs.

amherstblackbear
05-06-2013, 01:13 PM
At this point, who else do we really have for candidates? I think you're right on Gwoz, he's spent the last 20 years or so in Denver and probably wouldn't be very happy in a rural area like Orono. I can't see Tortorella, doesn't have much D-1 experience and didn't play any pro hockey. Pellerin has no college coaching expereince. Tremblay is intriguing, but he didn't play any pro hockey, doesn't have any ties to Maine, has no college coaching experience, plus I doubt he's ever been in a role that is very visible, no offense to the jr monarchs.

Which brings me back to priceless's point about how this process is sort of unfair to Corkum -- it's not like he's a weak candidate.

If responsibility for recruiting rests primarily with Kerluke and secondarily with Whitehead, and responsibility for tactics and motivation rests primarily with Whitehead, Corkum really can make a case that he's never really had a chance to shape the program. Hoky makes a good point - USA Hockey is a solid endorsement. Corkum wouldn't be involved if he didn't have the respect of his peers outside of Maine. Maybe he really is the best option out there.

Drew S.
05-06-2013, 02:30 PM
Which brings me back to priceless's point about how this process is sort of unfair to Corkum -- it's not like he's a weak candidate.

If responsibility for recruiting rests primarily with Kerluke and secondarily with Whitehead, and responsibility for tactics and motivation rests primarily with Whitehead, Corkum really can make a case that he's never really had a chance to shape the program. Hoky makes a good point - USA Hockey is a solid endorsement. Corkum wouldn't be involved if he didn't have the respect of his peers outside of Maine. Maybe he really is the best option out there.

I think he's the best option by quite a distance. It is completely unfair for him to be held responsible for Timmy's sins. I actually have a lot of respect for him sticking it out. A lesser man would have jumped ship and he did not.

Hockeyman99
05-06-2013, 02:48 PM
I think he's the best option by quite a distance. It is completely unfair for him to be held responsible for Timmy's sins. I actually have a lot of respect for him sticking it out. A lesser man would have jumped ship and he did not.

I agree.

rufus
05-06-2013, 03:57 PM

Especially after his kid stopped playing, which was probably a big draw for him to come coach here in the first place. And as fpor his resume, he already has a gold medal from a World Juniors tournament, which would have been a big draw for USA Hockey naming him to this team.

revoman
05-06-2013, 05:24 PM
Corkum really can make a case that he's never really had a chance to shape the program...USA Hockey is a solid endorsement. Corkum wouldn't be involved if he didn't have the respect of his peers outside of Maine. Maybe he really is the best option out there.

If you had a chance to talk to any of the former assistants to Tim (or possibly former players...), and they were going to be HONEST with you, you would hear just that. They really didn't have much input, no matter how "right" they were. It was Tim's way or the highway. Win, lose or draw. I can't see that having changed...ever. That being said, the "committee" needs to $h1t or get off the pot...

dover4345
05-06-2013, 10:52 PM
He raves daily about how he loves UNH and it is "the only place I would leave Colby for"
Not sure how a D 3 coach and ast who coached high school for several years has a far superior resume. He doesnt.

If you think players from USHL and BCHL are going to Maine to play for a D 3 guy with no pro background etc you are valuing Maine Hockey far to highly. There has to be a reason to go there vs the other Hoceky East teams, he is not it. Not one kid has a clue who he is. He would be a solid assistant and eventual associate head coach. Will set program back for years if he gets it

He is in charge of New England by default. Mass District is what matters, New England is one of the worst pools every year and is known for politics and sending kids from programs because of the programs connections, not ther best players.

I'm sorry, I just don't see it with corkum. Maine was doing great with Timmy behind the bench before corkum arrived. Since corkum has been at Maine the program has been on a steady decline. How did corkum impact the program in a positive way that would make you think he's earned a shot to be head coach? He can't land top recruits, and he did not do anything spectacular in terms of player development. Sad to me how he threw whitehead under the bus too...corkum just has not proven anything in coaching yet. Maybe he will, but thus far he has not. And I wouldn't hire him until he proves he can positively impact a program. No recruit is going to go to Maine because corkum played in the nhl. Recruits don't remember corkum....he was a 3rd or 4th line guy...none of the top coaches in hockey east played in the nhl, so that argument isnoutnthe window as far as I'm concerned. If he could land top players he would have done it as an assistant. I'd take many over him, Tortorella included. They should be pursuing cavanaugh, Greg brown, mark Carlson, Derek lalonde, or Blaise macdonald---guys who have proven they can coach and build teams---something corkum has not proven.

dover4345
05-06-2013, 11:02 PM

Also, Tortorella has coached many elite usa teams. You have to work the festivals to be a candidate work those jobs. D1 assistants rarely work them anymore because they'd rather be recruiting. They did not pick corkum over all those other guys like you areninsinuating...the pool was actually very thin that they had to choose from. I believe Matt herr coached the team last year---and he's a prep coach, does that mean he should be a finalist for the Maine job?

All I was stating is that if you put the resumes of Tortorella and corkum down in front of you, Tortorella has many more accomplishments. What does corkum show? 5 years of contributing to running a program into the ground? Couple years in the EJ? Being an NHL player does not make u a great coach...many have made that mistake in the past...look at donato at Harvard....guy can't win to save his life....his only hope is albie occonnell....and donato was twice the player that corkum was....

Ma#1ne Hky
05-07-2013, 03:45 AM
Cavanaugh could be the sleeper pick.

Ineverquit
05-07-2013, 06:05 AM
Nyquist almost had another game winner.