This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Hockey Thread II: The Search for Spock

Blaise McDonald coaching at Colby. How long ago was that announced?
    sure why not

Comment

• Originally posted by all bear View Post
      Blaise McDonald coaching at Colby. How long ago was that announced?
      Last summer?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
        I'd like to know how that guy knows Pellerin can recruit? His team didn't exactly tear up the AHL this season, either.
        AHL compared to College Hockey...in the AHL Pellerin gets Free Agents/Draft Picks/Players sent down from the NHL's NY Islanders and whatever Snow finds thru the waiver wire...College Hockey you actually recruit...so I can't see your point about AHL compared to College Hockey. Pellerin would have to recruit if he was named UMaine Coach,but in the Pro's(AHL or NHL)he gets what the GM sends his way...and a lot of times in the AHL he has players only for parts of the season because of call-ups or trades or just can't cut the mustard and are let go.

Comment

Wait - per that BDN article, a college hockey head coach has applied for the position?!?

Oh, right. That probably includes interim. No mystery, after all.
          1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Corkum being named HC of Ivan Hinkla is a very nice honor, those are the kids Maine needs

Coachin in AHL is very tough with some orgs. Some teams, like Hershey try to make money and win. Others all about farm team and development, tough to win

AHL coaches also get told, "play him every situation, no matter what"

Pellerin is a winner. Corkum still gets the job

Comment

• Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
              Corkum being named HC of Ivan Hinkla is a very nice honor, those are the kids Maine needs

Coachin in AHL is very tough with some orgs. Some teams, like Hershey try to make money and win. Others all about farm team and development, tough to win

AHL coaches also get told, "play him every situation, no matter what"

Pellerin is a winner. Corkum still gets the job
              True. That's what's tough about the minors. I don't follow that club, so I'm not up to speed on roster moves, but I have to think that organization is happy just to have the Icelanders back in the SC playoffs.

hope they don't blink. :P
              1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Leaman applied/had conversations...to leverage an extension at PC...so that's one. It's also possible D3 head coaches applied.
                https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

I wonder if Gwoz is actually in the mix, or has decided to sit and wait. (I'm betting that a lot of D-1 jobs will be open next year, maybe even Minnesota's.)

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                    I wonder if Gwoz is actually in the mix, or has decided to sit and wait. (I'm betting that a lot of D-1 jobs will be open next year, maybe even Minnesota's.)
                    Could be more like Michigan State/they are fit to be tied with the Coach they have and there's word they may buy-out his deal after next season if no improvement.

Comment

Yeah, chit I'll buy everyone a pizza if Gwoz ends up at Maine. Cannot possibly see that happening. MSU would be a plum job and he'd be all over that I would suspect. And I cant quite see Pellerin behind the bench...too many unknowns. This is looking more and more to me like Corkums job to lose. Only way I can see him missing out is if he says something like "I think Timmay was God"
                      sure why not

Comment

Is Nero done fiddling yet?.............

Comment

We really can't blame or give credit to Bob for the recruiting over the last 5 years. The head coach had final authority over the selection of recruits, the offer, and the sales pitch. In short Tim had control over the entire process including the management of the roster. My sense is that we lost numerous recruits through paralysis by analysis, and several where a more dynamic, enthusiastic sales presentation might have convinced the recruit to come to Maine. I recall Tim saying that it was hard to recruit at Maine. I know from personal experience that it is real difficult to sell something that you don't believe in!

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeyman99 View Post
                            We really can't blame or give credit to Bob for the recruiting over the last 5 years. The head coach had final authority over the selection of recruits, the offer, and the sales pitch. In short Tim had control over the entire process including the management of the roster. My sense is that we lost numerous recruits through paralysis by analysis, and several where a more dynamic, enthusiastic sales presentation might have convinced the recruit to come to Maine. I recall Tim saying that it was hard to recruit at Maine. I know from personal experience that it is real difficult to sell something that you don't believe in!
                            Tim worked tirelessly for Maine and was responsible for raising money (part of his job), for the Shawn Walsh Center and Alfond Arena renovation. Tim could only approve or disapprove the players that he was presented with by his recruiters. I don't think it is legitimate to blame Tim solely. He loved Maine hockey and left with dignity.

Comment

There's something to be said for both sides.

Recruiting falls more on assistants than on the head coach. The head coach is responsible, broadly, for the state of the program, so clearly the HC influences recruiting because he's responsible for what the recruiters are selling.

So the only answer to the question of whether Whitehead or Corkum bears responsibility is "yes." Maine hasn't had the talent they've needed lately to compete at the level we want. That reflects on both. Which is one reason why I was (and am) in favor of a clean break.

Comment

• Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
                                There's something to be said for both sides.

Recruiting falls more on assistants than on the head coach. The head coach is responsible, broadly, for the state of the program, so clearly the HC influences recruiting because he's responsible for what the recruiters are selling.

So the only answer to the question of whether Whitehead or Corkum bears responsibility is "yes." Maine hasn't had the talent they've needed lately to compete at the level we want. That reflects on both. Which is one reason why I was (and am) in favor of a clean break.
                                If Timmy didn't like the recruits Bob and Danny were bringing in why didn't he fire them and hire other assistants? The person who is in charge has all the responsibility as far as I'm concerned. I still think maintain that the recruiting has been pretty good the last four or five years. The bad classes that graduated a few years ago were recruited long before Bob or Danny were on the scene.
                                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Working...
                                X